re-tuning

Southwend

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am not looking for a new level of power or performance. I just want that beautiful inline to operate as the motor God intends. I want to remove the factory tune towards super lean operation to satisfy government requirements. Of course anything else is a bonus. What do you recommend?

And thanks in advance
 
southwend_imp said:
I am not looking for a new level of power or performance. I just want that beautiful inline to operate as the motor God intends. I want to remove the factory tune towards super lean operation to satisfy government requirements. Of course anything else is a bonus. What do you recommend?

And thanks in advance
The only game in town.

Fuel Injection Conversion - Guhl Motors
 
One could say ‘Power Commander’, but I suspect the reflash is the better option.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
One could say ‘Power Commander’, but I suspect the reflash is the better option.

Probably somewhere in the middle. Depending on where and what is done to the bike and how much you want to spend.

The power commander is a little more involved to install, and only adjusts fuel.

Guhls flash is a simple ecu swap and changes ign timing as well as raise the rev limiter and gets rid of the top speed gov.

So- for most people the reflash offers more bang for the buck- but how many actually hit redline or top speed?

Both options are locked settings that were based on a single bike on a single day, so if you happen to have a different exhaust, intake, altitude, temp, etc- less than ideal, although still better than the factory tune.

The power commander you can tell it what fuel you want, at what rpm, and throttle position. It also has the option to add on a WBO2 box / sensor to allow real world constant monitoring of the a/f and adjust as needed for changing conditions and any mods you do (autotune). If we were ever able to find a tach wire to tap, it also can do individual tune maps for each gear (load changes). But remember- stock ign timing.

So yea- depends on how much you want to play, how much you want to pay, what you have done and will do to the bike. Combining all the options is the ultimate solution.

As far as let the engine run as god intends- here is what I was able to get out of mine using a power commander, auto tune box, and a few mods to let the engine breath better.





6f5322b19b0dc77db6482e376a233ec2.jpg





A few days after that video, I also added a guhl ecu but then crashed the bike so never went back to the dyno to see what the bike does now with new ign.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, excellent information. I Sent the ECU from my wife's bonneville off to England for a reflash. New air box, KN filters, removed O2 sensor and wacky air injectors from the engine.
Runs now as intended. Same desire for the CB. Reflash sounds like the plan.
CRAP I have a 2017 EX. It does not appear on the list at Guhl motors
 
southwend_imp said:
Thanks, excellent information. I Sent the ECU from my wife's bonneville off to England for a reflash. New air box, KN filters, removed O2 sensor and wacky air injectors from the engine.
Runs now as intended. Same desire for the CB. Reflash sounds like the plan.
CRAP I have a 2017 EX. It does not appear on the list at Guhl motors
I would say call him.
 
I sent mine to Guhl after the mods and it was perfect! It was amazingly simple and they were perfect to deal with.

It came back so fast. So yes way better than adding a unit in my opinion.
 
I did the Re-flash, PC V, and full Yosh exhaust along with a dyno tune on my 2013. It’s a different bike now.

I know, because several of us rode mine and a stock 2013 back-to-back. I told them that I had only swapped out the exhaust because that is the only change that is visible. Their words were “Amazing, Stellar, and Wonderful”.

I agreed.
 
Thread starter
I will reach out to Guhl today and see if the can reflash the '17 model

I will report back what I find just in case someone else has same bike and plan.
 
I fitted a PC Wide Band O2 Commander and the associated WB Sensor. It doesn’t add more power but defo brings the power on sooner. It really helped the bike leap at small throttle openings and off a closed throttle. Perfect fueling - Just feels good.
It was the last mod I did after reflash, de-cat... everything.
Like Power Dubs it was pulling about 100hp. Felt ace!
Lost weight as well, which is the other way to liven up your CB. Exhaust, swing arm and centre stand are all weighty culprits.

I still have the PC WB O2 Commander and sensor if your interested - and some cat free pipes. Rest of bike has gone to a new home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
beardyweirdy@me.com_imp said:
I fitted a PC Wide Band O2 Commander and the associated WB Sensor. It doesn’t add more power but defo brings the power on sooner. It really helped the bike leap at small throttle openings and off a closed throttle. Perfect fueling - Just feels good.
It was the last mod I did after reflash, de-cat... everything.
Like Power Dubs it was pulling about 100hp. Felt ace!
Lost weight as well, which is the other way to liven up your CB. Exhaust, swing arm and centre stand are all weighty culprits.

I still have the PC WB O2 Commander and sensor if your interested - and some cat free pipes. Rest of bike has gone to a new home.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry man- can’t leave that out there.

If you can’t put up chart / video, then we’ll just have to leave it at ‘about’.

I busted my butt to be the only person to ever make 100whp on this bike. Only person ever to make and install cams that I am aware of.

...and that was in the stock ecu, so stick ign timing.

Still have the bike, just haven’t touched it since the fall. But the day before I put a guhls ecu in- so in theory it should put down higher numbers than I already documented.

:)






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
as mentioned before I did something similar with my wife's 2013 Bonneville.
Reflash, delete O2 sensor, free up exhaust free up intake.

That allowed the engine to breathe in blow out, freed it from way too lean. and made a night and day difference.

If I approach the CB much the same, I assume velocity stacks? couple of slip on mufflers? Guhl Ecu and stop while I'm ahead?

And if I won't to keep it bone stock except for the Guhl upgrade I assume I will also have some noticeable improvement?

Once again not trying to win the CB derby, just want to free up the engine a bit.

And thanks, great information as per usual.
 
The Bonneville is much easier to uncork than the CB will ever be. There's an easy 15 HP readily available on the Triumph. It'll take a lot more $ to achieve that on the CB. But I hope you get what your looking for.
 
Uncork depends on how much is locked up in the first place.

What is the displacement, rev limit and hp/tq on the Triumph stock?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Mine's an 08.

865cc

Upped the limit from 8k to 8.5k

55ish RWHP, 51 Ft.Lb stock

Got 69 HP at the wheel after mods.

His is a 13 fuelie so I'm not sure on the specifics for his but all those 865 lumps are way under tuned. Heck, most of the Triumph "modern classics" line are for that matter.

The CB is a tougher nut to crack.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Mine's an 08.

865cc

Upped the limit from 8k to 8.5k

55ish RWHP, 51 Ft.Lb stock

Got 69 HP at the wheel after mods.

His is a 13 fuelie so I'm not sure on the specifics for his but all those 865 lumps are way under tuned. Heck, most of the Triumph "modern classics" line are for that matter.

The CB is a tougher nut to crack.

Not really. A stock CB1100 puts down 85whp (or less)

A full exhaust, opening the air inlets and a power commander for fuel is pretty much spot on a 15whp gain.
 
The Bonnie requires slip ons only. Not full system. Removing air box, not modifying existing components. Re-jetting easier than adjusting fuel map with expensive after market product. Splitting hairs? Probably. But to me, the CB is a tougher road for potential increased performance. If it was as easy as my Triumph I would have already done it.
 
Thread starter
Olyrider_imp said:
I did the Re-flash, PC V, and full Yosh exhaust along with a dyno tune on my 2013. It’s a different bike now.

I know, because several of us rode mine and a stock 2013 back-to-back. I told them that I had only swapped out the exhaust because that is the only change that is visible. Their words were “Amazing, Stellar, and Wonderful”.

I agreed.
pardon my ignorance, PC V?:huh:
 
Back
Top