Re-tune/flash necessary with full exhaust upgrade?

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I've got my eye on the Moriwaki black 4-2 exhaust. Does the bike need to be re-tuned?

I mean, I intend to do the Guhl flash anyway, but I want to do that AFTER so I don't have to flash all over again.
 
I installed the full Yosh system last week. Worried about the same thing. Bike actually runs much better! But I am still doing the re-flash. And before that, the K & N filter. And...since Guhl doesn't have any maps for a 2013 Standard with the mods I have made, I am having my PC V dyno-tuned to get more low-end grunt. Guhl is wonderful, but he can't map a bike that he doesn't have. He can, though, change the factory settings to the RPM settings Honda gave bikes in other countries.
 
You know, I was worried about the same issues as you. I recently upgraded from a Yoshimura RS3 slip-on canister to a full Nojima 4-into-1 exhaust.
The bike had no issues with the Yoshi performance-wise, BUT I found it ran a tad rich. I could stick my finger in the exhaust outlet on the Yoshi and there was always a little black soot there. No biggie but I knew it wasn't quite right.
Since I've added the full Nojima, the bike runs crisper and cleaner..........
I have about 700 miles since the change and no soot what so ever...
Even though the exhaust note is a bit more subtle with the Nojima, the bike absolutely SCREAMS when you push it to the mid/upper rpm range, especially under load.
I do want to get a PCV or whatever its called and perhaps a reflash if needed just to get optimum horsepower from the engine, but as she is right now, I couldn't be happier nor could I smile any wider when I run it hard through the gears.
 
"BUT I found it ran a tad rich"
That's counter to what I'd expect, seems like it would run lean after installing aftermarket exhaust. :huh:
 
Yeahoo Whoyah_imp said:
"BUT I found it ran a tad rich"
That's counter to what I'd expect, seems like it would run lean after installing aftermarket exhaust. :huh:
I had the same thought -- freeing up the exhaust would be expected to lead to a possible lean condition. However, as a fellow Yosh pipe owner, I don't think the can makes a huge difference to the air-fuel ratio. I like the Yosh because it SOUNDS so sweet -- not obnoxious, but just...right.
 
Maybe without the Cat, it allows more unburnt fuel through, therefore the illusion it is running richer......maybe just more un-burnt fuel makes it out?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Maybe without the Cat, it allows more unburnt fuel through, therefore the illusion it is running richer......maybe just more un-burnt fuel makes it out?
Not a bad idea -- but the Yosh slip-on he had / I have leaves the cat intact. OTOH, if he in fact had a rich condition (which would have been unrelated to the Yosh can), removing the cat and installing a full aftermarket exhaust would lean things out a bit and could fix it. But...a stock CB1100 runs lean for emissions purposes. I used to have black carbon deposits on my exhaust if I had been taking short trips or short shifting on my '75 KE125 -- maybe that explains the carbon build-up on his Yosh?
 
No short trips or short-shifting here!
Yea, I've been baffled (sorry, bad pun :D ) by this too.
I have no idea why the CB seemed to be running rich with the canister. It just goes against natural thinking. Like I said, I had no issues with the Yoshi performance-wise, although I never put it on a dyno. Loved the sound, even more so than I do with the Nojima at least until I run it hard through the gears. :biker:
 
Inline4_imp said:
No short trips or short-shifting here!
Yea, I've been baffled (sorry, bad pun :D ) by this too.
I have no idea why the CB seemed to be running rich with the canister. It just goes against natural thinking. Like I said, I had no issues with the Yoshi performance-wise, although I never put it on a dyno. Loved the sound, even more so than I do with the Nojima at least until I run it hard through the gears. :biker:
Ha!!!
 
If you get a reflash, a Power Commander (PC) is not needed. The reflash does (and does it better since you are talking to the main brain directly) what you buy the PC to do.
 
My bike pops between upshifts but a pair valve mod would fix it. I've just never bothered.

Motogear TI headers - Staintune exhaust - TSR air funnel - PCV - O2 sensor removed.

If I ever stop spending money on my new bike (owned for 3 months , 21 farkles and counting), I'll run it up to Don. He's only 90 minutes from me,
 
Back
Top