RD400 video

Ooooooo. The video looks to be entertaining (no matter what happens), since I owned a '76 model.

The specimen resembles just as I remember riding one last.
 
Thread starter
I appreciate his museum and love for cool old bikes.

I understand he is a business though.

Yeah he tries to get top dollar for his stuff, but heck so does your average dude on craigslist.

I like watching his videos because they are not afraid to rip on the bikes and give them the beans.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
m in sc_imp said:
what a complete rip off. 4k? that's maybe 1 full day in the shop of work. see the open holes in the fuel bowls in the side? those are for pressure correction fittings that plumb to the airbox that should be there for the air jet. he was lazy and drilled out the block at the 6 o clock position and didn't reset it to factory. Also note, the RH cyl smokes a bit more. that's a RH crank seal going out. also, not a period correct petcock, not even close to correct, but a cheap replacement.

Most people in the 2 stroke vintage community really dislike kaplan and his ads and his sales. Half the info is wrong, intentional or not. and his stuff is always, always over priced. But to each their own. its a pretty decent 400 but def nothing special.
Yeah.. It is rather insulting to suggest that they spent $3200 in real labor on the bike based on their description. For my general education, where on the bowl should I be looking for the drilled out hole? I'm as far from an expert on these as there can be, but the opening on the lower part of the bowl towards the rear on the side looks what I'm used to seeing, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.
 
Thanks m!

Great info. I've seen a few of these, and have never actually seen them the way that they are supposed to be then. Learn somf'n new every day!
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ooooooo. The video looks to be entertaining (no matter what happens), since I owned a '76 model.

The specimen resembles just as I remember riding one last.
I liked the video.

Of course, I focused more on the actual bike than the humans blathering in the background. :)

Yeah, I recall a few times my '76 RD400 blew more smoke out of one stack versus the other from time-to-time. Never seemed to affect its operational behaviour from a punk's point-of-view.
 
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
There is always a soft spot in my heart for the smokies...that I grew up with :blush:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
There is always a soft spot in my heart for the smokies...that I grew up with :blush:
I grew up on an RD400 and for me that heart spot is not soft.

The times were, um, ... exciting to say the least.
 
m in sc_imp said:
yup.

the red arrow in this pic is pointing to.. me. that bike hadn't run in at least 5 years, we got it running in the parking lot.
canadian spec RZ, that belongs to my buddy tim in the green hat to the right. to the left is my friend Matt (white shirt, he owns the rd400 i linked the time lapse to in my garage) and David, leaning against my 66 galaxie. Some views in that vid show my wife also sitting on the hood of my car.

I've known most of the guys in that video for 20+ yrs.

:D:beerchug:



build thread on the RZ here, it will be there this year.

1984 Yamaha Gray Ghost RZ350 And So It Begins
m, this is awesome. :beerchug:
 
m in sc_imp said:
yup.

the red arrow in this pic is pointing to.. me. that bike hadn't run in at least 5 years, we got it running in the parking lot.
canadian spec RZ, that belongs to my buddy tim in the green hat to the right. to the left is my friend Matt (white shirt, he owns the rd400 i linked the time lapse to in my garage) and David, leaning against my 66 galaxie. Some views in that vid show my wife also sitting on the hood of my car.

I've known most of the guys in that video for 20+ yrs.

:D:beerchug:



build thread on the RZ here, it will be there this year.

1984 Yamaha Gray Ghost RZ350 And So It Begins
Ah-ha ... I remember that flick. So that is you m in sc? Coolio. :thumbsup:
 
peterbaron_imp said:
You have to get rid of that 2-stroke cloud in order to be recognized, m in sc :)
I cut my teeth on the RD400, got my full motorcycle license.

At the beginning of my road test I flooded the engine. :s I recall it being very difficult to start. The test officer told me to move aside and get it started while another rider could do their test. So I did. A bunch of other Harley Davidson riders waiting to do their road test laughed as I struggled. It was embarrassing.

When that flooded RD400 started up, it roared (more like buzzed loudly). The thick, grey-blue sticky cloud slowly floated right into the group of laughing Harley riders who stopped laughing.

I did my test and got my license on the spot. While signing a few documents the Harley riders were doing their test. One by one each of them were pulled off the course early because they couldn't do the slalom without putting their feet down on the tarmac. The first three I saw failed.

Maybe I got smoke in their eyes?
 
Back
Top