Rattling noise at idle.

Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Ghis,

The UK member on the UK CB board that had the noise pretty bad had his cam chain tensioner chaned out, I think. At the time, both the dealer and Honda were pretty sketchy about the whole thing.

I can search around for the thread if you want.
If it's not to much, that'd be great.
xNE0x_imp said:
Normally, I would be telling you to check your carbs to make sure they are in sync. The rattle is caused by an out of sync carb, which in turn makes the clutch basket make all kinds of noise. But this is a CB1100 we are talking about. I would not worry about it, as I suspect it has something to do with the syncro's in the clutch basket. Does the rattling go away with the clutch lever pulled in? If so, it's in the clutch basket and I would not worry.

Also, sorry to debunk some of the oil theorists but changing over to synthetic oil or changing oil weights will not change this effect whatsoever.
Pulled the clutch in, and it's still there. Even put in gear (on center stand), and let the clutch out, and it's there with the wheel spinning.
 
Ghis,

Here is the thread on the UK board. http://www.cb1100.co.uk/index.php/topic,109.0.html

I was wrong when I mentioned the cam chain tensioner, it was the balancer. Hey, I'm getting old timers :)

You will have to wade through some pages to get to the meat of it, and I think the original poster may be a member here too.
 
Thread starter
The bike has been in the shop for 4 days not including Sunday. Today, Wednesday, the dealer confirmed the rattling, and called Honda, as they can't figure out what it is. The motor doesn't seem to be the issue, and it could be in the exhaust, as the noise shows up after a certain amount of warming up, and disappears at full warm up. They think the problem shows up as something metallic is getting hot. They'll be on the phone again tomorrow with more directives from Honda, and how to proceed. I actually would love it if it was something in the exhaust. That would be an easy fix. However I am still feeling good about dumping that 10W40 out and replacing it with the 10W30. I like to stick to the owner's manual. It also allowed me to flush completely the 10W40/brake-in oil mix that was in there, as a lot of brake-in oil was probably left in the oil cooler.
 
my 2013, 13,000 miles has done this since day one,but it only happens when cold started on the side stand and allowed to warm up using the side stand. the metallic sound is not present if cold started using the center stand and allowed to warm up in this position. oil viscosity makes no difference. I did not want a dealer looking for a needle in a hay stack using my machine so I put up with the issue until the confirmed repair is found, then I will perform the repair myself.
please post repair findings here on the forum, I urge you to get the truth of the findings and repairs in writing from Honda(not a dealer quote). thank you for your feedback
Paul.
 
Thread starter
Got word back on my CB. The dealership confirmed hearing the noise, and had to call Honda. Honda was not overly concerned, and said that most CB1100s did that. I was not happy at all with that answer, but one of the shop's tech, who has a CB too, thought his did that as well. So he rode it to work so we could listen to it. And sure enough, within 4 to 5 minutes of warming up his bike, the rattling showed up, exact same noise as my bike. It also sounded to come from the exact same place under the bike. Honda says that the noise is created in the catalytic converter as it warms up. I was darn lucky that one of the employees had the exact same bike, same year, and to be able to hear the noise on his bike, otherwise I would never have believed Honda. The tech thought his was doing that rattle, but he had never heard it so clearly, as he had never let his bike warm up for that long before taking off. He was hearing it while stopped, with helmet on, and probably for not long since riding the bike gets it fully warm rather quickly. I believe I have read somewhere on the forum a similar case, from another rider, whose dealer started a brand new bike on the floor, and got the same result as his. Whatever the deal is with exhaust, the dealer was 100% confident that nothing was wrong with the engine. So I think I can put that one to rest. Picking it up my bike in the morning, and going to ride the heck out of it.
 
Good news Ghis. Thanks for keeping us informed.
 
Glad that things worked out for you. It's a funny thing, and one of the reasons I didn't add anything to this thread before, but rattles, buzzing, ticking, and clunking all sound MUCH louder before the underlying cause is determined. I had a similar experience on this and other bikes and recently on my new Jeep. Once I figured out that the noises in each case were pretty normal for that vehicle, I hardly hear them at all. I hope you have the same selective hearing. :)
 
I love this thread. All 5 pages of it.
It was so entertaining I really hate for it to end :(

Added later: Thank the Lord!!! The thread lives on :) My prayers have been answered <3
 
Ghis_imp said:
Got word back on my CB. The dealership confirmed hearing the noise, and had to call Honda. Honda was not overly concerned, and said that most CB1100s did that. I was not happy at all with that answer, but one of the shop's tech, who has a CB too, thought his did that as well. So he rode it to work so we could listen to it. And sure enough, within 4 to 5 minutes of warming up his bike, the rattling showed up, exact same noise as my bike. It also sounded to come from the exact same place under the bike. Honda says that the noise is created in the catalytic converter as it warms up. I was darn lucky that one of the employees had the exact same bike, same year, and to be able to hear the noise on his bike, otherwise I would never have believed Honda. The tech thought his was doing that rattle, but he had never heard it so clearly, as he had never let his bike warm up for that long before taking off. He was hearing it while stopped, with helmet on, and probably for not long since riding the bike gets it fully warm rather quickly. I believe I have read somewhere on the forum a similar case, from another rider, whose dealer started a brand new bike on the floor, and got the same result as his. Whatever the deal is with exhaust, the dealer was 100% confident that nothing was wrong with the engine. So I think I can put that one to rest. Picking it up my bike in the morning, and going to ride the heck out of it.
Glad to hear Honda doesn't think it's a problem, but now I'm puzzled... Mine does it and the cat is gone..
 
Ok, so the weather finally permitted me to ride my CB1100 today. And as entertaining as the oil weight arguments have been on this forum, I am going to debunk you all with this.

I did exactly what people were doing trying to duplicate the condition, and sure enough my brand new (with 1 mile on it when I first took delivery) the noise is present with the STOCK OIL and the STOCK FILTER. My bike has 540 miles on it, with 10 miles today. Lower right side of motor. While mine is not as obscene as others, it's definitely there.

I'm going to have to say this is a normal condition, as such no evidence points to any engine failures because of it. And it looks like from the above response, Honda agree's.

Sorry to disappoint some, but I would not worry about it.
 
xNE0x_imp said:
Ok, so the weather finally permitted me to ride my CB1100 today. And as entertaining as the oil weight arguments have been on this forum, I am going to debunk you all with this.

I did exactly what people were doing trying to duplicate the condition, and sure enough my brand new (with 1 mile on it when I first took delivery) the noise is present with the STOCK OIL and the STOCK FILTER. My bike has 540 miles on it, with 10 miles today. Lower right side of motor. While mine is not as obscene as others, it's definitely there.

I'm going to have to say this is a normal condition, as such no evidence points to any engine failures because of it. And it looks like from the above response, Honda agree's.

Sorry to disappoint some, but I would not worry about it.
I think you've got it NEO. My bike has had that sound. Sorta "tic tic ......." since new. Sometimes. 52,000kms later it still has it. Sometimes. I noticed some time ago that Cormanus' also has it. Sometimes. On some of the rattletraps I've owned in the past I would have said it was tappet rattle. Clearly not so in the CBs case. I have used three, no four, different oils over the life of this bike and at times that little old "tic tic ......" is there. Sometimes. Also irrespective of oil weight or synthetic or not it appears. Sometimes. Funnily enough I went for a short run yesterday and it ran as smooth as and with no "tic tic .....". I have got to the stage that if it goes away I will really start to worry. Something might be wrong! :)

Cheers
 
Thread starter
kDiqq, I have mixed up Honda USA, and the Honda dealership on this one. All that Honda USA said is that it was coming from the exhaust. The Honda dealership thinks it's in the catalytic converter, but who knows.
Since I still don't care much for this rattling, I have decided to go back to a more reasonable starting, and warm up procedure. I will now start the bike, and not wait 4 long unnecessary minutes until the rattle shows up, just so I can hear it, because that's actually crazy. I will ride (obviously above idle), and within a few minutes, the motor will be fully warm, and thus no longer display any rattling. Rode the bike around all day today, and never had to listen to that rattle even once. It's amazing what riding my bike as it was simply intented did for me.
 
xNE0x_imp said:
Ok, so the weather finally permitted me to ride my CB1100 today. And as entertaining as the oil weight arguments have been on this forum, I am going to debunk you all with this.

I did exactly what people were doing trying to duplicate the condition, and sure enough my brand new (with 1 mile on it when I first took delivery) the noise is present with the STOCK OIL and the STOCK FILTER. My bike has 540 miles on it, with 10 miles today. Lower right side of motor. While mine is not as obscene as others, it's definitely there.

I'm going to have to say this is a normal condition, as such no evidence points to any engine failures because of it. And it looks like from the above response, Honda agree's.

Sorry to disappoint some, but I would not worry about it.
I guess your one of the unlucky ones that came thorough with 40wt oil:D

All kidding aside, its not coming from the exhaust, what a terrible evaluation from Honda. Without hearing the sound it hard to say if its the same. If you listen to the clip from DBuster and you have the same sound its not normal, no bike should have lower end rap,rattle like that!!
 
Thread starter
There is a simple test to prove or disprove Honda USA's theory/assessment that on Standard CB1100 (with the 4 into 1 exhaust system), a rattling sound coming from the lower part of "the engine" (the exhaust) during warm up is common to most CB1100, and is "normal". Since we all have the same bike, and have one of the largest outreach to CB1100 owners in the US with this forum, we could all let are bikes warm up for 5 minutes (though the rattling seems to creep in within 4 minutes) from cold start (but let's push to 6 to make sure), and report on what we hear. Let's hear what people with complete after market exhaust systems have to say. Let's also hear from DLX people as well, since their exhaust is a 4 into 2 system, and therefore different from the 4 into 1. Logically, DLX people, and complete after market system people shouldn't have that sound. So CB1100 owners, start your engines!

I have also posted this in a new thread to reach out to more people who have not been following this thread. Now I'm curious!

TO ALL CB1100 OWNERS!!!
 
Or.... We could have our bikes analyzed by a real mechanic to determine if whatever rattles, buzzing so or other unusual noises are indicators of a problem with our particular bike. If it's determined that there's nothing to worry about, then we could stop worrying about them, insert some earplugs, and ride the darned thing.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
Or.... We could have our bikes analyzed by a real mechanic to determine if whatever rattles, buzzing so or other unusual noises are indicators of a problem with our particular bike. If it's determined that there's nothing to worry about, then we could stop worrying about them, insert some earplugs, and ride the darned thing.
I agree with you. But beyond having worried sick about this, and moved on somehow, I'm really curious, just for "fun", to hear what people find out.
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I love this thread. All 5 pages of it.
It was so entertaining I really hate for it to end :(

Added later: Thank the Lord!!! The thread lives on :) My prayers have been answered <3
It lives on indeed :D. Check out the follow up thread:

TO ALL CB1100 OWNERS!!!
 
Just went out and fired mine up for a ride. It was on the side stand. I listened carefully with no helmet on. I could clearly make out injectors ticking, I could clearly hear the moisture release ports for the mufflers puffing. I really couldn't hear anything else that didn't sound like normal 4 cyl motor noises to me. Cams rotating around and smacking into buckets for the valves, valves going up and down, cam chain spinning, etc. Now, I didn't let it run for 4, 5 or 6 minutes. It's an air cooled motor and requires air rushing over the cyl fins for cooling so I am not going to let it sit and idle that long. I suppose I could set up a fan to blow across the front of the motor . I didn't hear the noise I have heard in a couple of the videos posted although I will admit I didn't get down on my knees on the right side of the bike and try and hear it either. But standing up and walking around there are no obvious "weird" noises I can hear. Then again my wife will tell you the word I most often use is WHAT??????

Going for a ride now, probably 60ish miles. Want to get back for the MotoGP. I will listen when I make some stops and see if I hear anything. I think my warranty is up soon, but other than a dead feeling rear brake which Honda also says is normal, nothing has gone wrong in 10,000 miles.

I say ride more, worry less. :biker:




.
 
MotoGP? The Masters is on today. Of course, I am from Georgia...
 
Back
Top