It is quite safe to park in the tunnels , stay close to the wall in a "straight " part of the tunnel and put your hazard lights on.
My feet stayed perfectly dry with the Gore Tex lined Daytona boots.
Yesterday I spoke with Bruce , the owner of the Pisgah Inn and store and he told me that business had suffered a great deal because of the road works , the road is getting better but signs still advise against travel on motorcycles or bikes.
A few weeks ago a cook at the Pisgah Inn got killed near the Inn by a co worker, she was a 29 year old cook and he was 20 or 21.
I live about 5 miles south of the BRP in Arden just south of Asheville.
Today my wife and I are going to a factory tour of the Sierra Nevada brewery , it is a great place to visit and eat , they do not push beer on you if you do not want to drink alcohol.