This vinyl really came out great. Another option, I was pondering, is Plasti Dip spray. For years, I always thought of them as only making the rubber dip stuff for your tool handles. But, they make all kinds of products, including aerosol sprays that can later be peeled off, and all claims (with tons of video to back it up) is that it does no pain damage.
I can imagine a mat black stripe that is the width of the naturally raised area on the tank. Sort of like 80's XR/XL models. My worry with all this is the same as with leaving the tank stickers on. Later, you pull it off, only to find that you paint has faded everywhere but under the stripe. Still, it is tempting...
Paint fade shouldn't be too much of an issue if the bike is kept garaged or covered regularly. The vinyl I used is rated for 7 years. At that point I could re-stripe or paint.
You know, I have to be honest here and say that I saw the title of this thread, and thought, 'Oh boy. This could be a huge mistake'...but seeing it, it looks absolutely fantastic. Great job, man, I'm likin' this a lot!
You know, I have to be honest here and say that I saw the title of this thread, and thought, 'Oh boy. This could be a huge mistake'...but seeing it, it looks absolutely fantastic. Great job, man, I'm likin' this a lot!
Lol. Glad I changed your mind about it. Again, when working with vinyl, it's not permanent and easily reversible, so it's hard to make a huge mistake. Worst case scenario you screw it up and are out a few bucks.