Race Sprockets

bigsheep_imp said:
Anybody try these sprockets? I ran them through the gearingcommander.com for my 2013 and I'd only lose 4.1 KM/h of top speed, but I'd get there much quicker. Just curious if anyone's done this.

https://www.race-driven.com/2013-honda-cb1100-front-rear-sprocket-16-45/
I think your calculations are incorrect. Going from the stock 2013 gearing of 18/39 to 16/45 is a large jump. At 70 mph, you are turning about 4000 rpms. With the new front sprocket, you would be turning about 4450. Adding the rear sprocket would increase that to about 4920 rpm, like riding in 4th gear.
 
Yup, this 16/45 is more of a motocross setup, you'll lose around 40kph at 5800rpm. On the bright side, you wouldn't need much effort to pop a wheelie

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Thread starter
But the CB is so over governed going to these sprockets you only lose 4km/h. Not that I really want to have a bike this ready to slap me on the pavement, I just found it amusing while looking for sprockets.

Has anyone reading this taken their CB to the limiter? It's only 110mph. I've tracked the CB a couple times but the straight was so short and the CB so heavy I was on the brakes before maxing out 3rd. I've done 100mph once on the street just to do the ton, but I generally have my fun within 10-20km of the posted limit.
 
bigsheep_imp said:
But the CB is so over governed going to these sprockets you only lose 4km/h. Not that I really want to have a bike this ready to slap me on the pavement, I just found it amusing while looking for sprockets.

Has anyone reading this taken their CB to the limiter? It's only 110mph. I've tracked the CB a couple times but the straight was so short and the CB so heavy I was on the brakes before maxing out 3rd. I've done 100mph once on the street just to do the ton, but I generally have my fun within 10-20km of the posted limit.
Yap, recently twice I think, during the same trip for a short while...in 6th...
 
bigsheep_imp said:
But the CB is so over governed going to these sprockets you only lose 4km/h. Not that I really want to have a bike this ready to slap me on the pavement, I just found it amusing while looking for sprockets.

Has anyone reading this taken their CB to the limiter? It's only 110mph. I've tracked the CB a couple times but the straight was so short and the CB so heavy I was on the brakes before maxing out 3rd. I've done 100mph once on the street just to do the ton, but I generally have my fun within 10-20km of the posted limit.
I have not ...
 
bigsheep_imp said:
But the CB is so over governed going to these sprockets you only lose 4km/h. Not that I really want to have a bike this ready to slap me on the pavement, I just found it amusing while looking for sprockets.

Has anyone reading this taken their CB to the limiter? It's only 110mph. I've tracked the CB a couple times but the straight was so short and the CB so heavy I was on the brakes before maxing out 3rd. I've done 100mph once on the street just to do the ton, but I generally have my fun within 10-20km of the posted limit.
The feeling is quite harsh and surprising. Likened to (probably because it is related in terms of firing) running out of gas.

Compare that to a similar displacement class Italian Aprilia model which simply just stops going any higher, and it is smooth and sustaining.
 
I have been to the rev limiter, but mostly in 2nd gear, not in 5th (there is something oddly satisfying about the 5sp CBs long hearing, especially coming out of corners and large roundabouts), having said that, I haven't found it particularly straining for the engine, perhaps for the lack of vibration up there and the fact that it's very quiet when compared to, well, any other bike I've ever ridden
Cruising the highway at 140kph it's usually enough to just quickly pick up to 165-170 for an overtake and come back to cruising speed.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
bigsheep_imp said:
But the CB is so over governed going to these sprockets you only lose 4km/h. Not that I really want to have a bike this ready to slap me on the pavement, I just found it amusing while looking for sprockets.

Has anyone reading this taken their CB to the limiter? It's only 110mph. I've tracked the CB a couple times but the straight was so short and the CB so heavy I was on the brakes before maxing out 3rd. I've done 100mph once on the street just to do the ton, but I generally have my fun within 10-20km of the posted limit.
The feeling is quite harsh and surprising. Likened to (probably because it is related in terms of firing) running out of gas.

Compare that to a similar displacement class Italian Aprilia model which simply just stops going any higher, and it is smooth and sustaining.
The feeling is quite harsh and surprising. Likened to (probably because it is related in terms of firing) running out of gas.

Compare that to a similar displacement class Italian Aprilia model which simply just stops going any higher, and it is smooth and sustaining.
Isn't that what they refer to as a Hard limiter vs a Soft limiter?
 
A question for anyone who has changed their gearing via sprocket ratios: Does the top speed limiter still kick in at the same indicated mph or kph on the speedometer?

I ask because my speedometer uses the rear wheel speed to calculate road speed. My VFR used the countershaft sprocket for the speed calculation, so if you changed gearing on that bike, your indicated speed would be incorrect.

Just wondering if the speed limiter uses the rear wheel speed or fixed engine rpm limits for each gear (to end up with 110mph) in the higher gears.
 
Thread starter
If the speedo is calculating how many times the wheel spins to determine speed how would a sprocket change affect that? It's using OD of the wheel and RPM of the wheel, the sprocket and engine speed would not affect it at all, unless I'm missing something... which I usually am when it comes to mechanical things.

There are two limiters, one which limits the redline in any gear, (which I manage to hit easily after riding my CBR600 for the day) and the other which limits the top speed at 110 MPH. I've read somewhere that it only limits in gears 4,5 and 6, so you could exceed the top speed of 110 in third gear if the conditions where right.

With these race sprockets Gearing Commander indicates a top speed of 107.4 MPH with a 16/45 for the CB, which means with stock gearing and a limiter of 110 we're leaving a lot on the table. Mind you it's speed I would never use really...
 
That's what I'm asking... Does the speed limiter use the rear wheel speed, or are there preset rev limits for each gear that effectively limits the top speed?
 
Well both. There is a speed limiter, from the rear wheel, and rev limits.
 
Could you help me understand that better, Lord Popgun. Does the limiter cut in at 112 mph because the ECU determines the bike is doing that speed? Or does it cut in because the ECU determines the combination of revs and gear means the bike ought to be doing 112 mph?
 
Thread starter
I've approached the rev limit of third gear which I'd estimate to be around 170-180KM/hr on the CB on a track. (Speedo taped over as per regulations). I gotta tell you, I felt like I was being ripped off the thing, wouldn't want to do much more. I've done 220+ on the CBR which seems much less hectic.
 
Cormanus, the speed is limited when the bike speed is the 112mph. Because, you know, the Japanese rulers don’t like people having fun ;)

The revs are limited when the revs are too high. I don’t know how high is too high and it may not be in all gears according to member posting. Here is a post and the one after that is interesting: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12143&pid=195376#pid195376
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus, the speed is limited when the bike speed is the 112mph. Because, you know, the Japanese rulers don’t like people having fun ;)

The revs are limited when the revs are too high. I don’t know how high is too high and it may not be in all gears according to member posting. Here is a post and the one after that is interesting: http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12143&pid=195376#pid195376
Don't those same Japanese make the H2R?
 
According to one Japan site it can’t be ridden on public streets.
 
Interestingly enough, as we all know, not all Honda motorcycles have the 180kph speed limit, one that comes to mind was the X4, which was built on the CB1300sf platform, with the same 1284cc water-cooled inline 4 engine with the same 100hp and 121Nm as the CB1300sf however the speed wasn't (isn't) limited on the standard, and is one of the most venerable Honda motorcycles ever produced
52c34a8a4ddb33f959fd681c91201cfa.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
Back
Top