Race Deck flooring

Houtman_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
When we had our house build in 2005 I was not careful enough how I treated the garage floor and now there are all kinds of paint and other stains on it. (oil, brake fluid , you name it )
At first I thought to coat it with epoxy but this will take a lot of preparation and even than not always good results afterwards.
Last week I decided to order the alloy colored Race Deck plastic tiles and hope to install this in April. I checked all kinds of reviews and videos but has any Forum Member have any experience with this garage flooring ?
 
That stuff looks pretty awesome on TV. I’d like to see pics of your installation if you get it.
 
John, you are lucky to live in winter salt free area - NC.
My friend had it and removed it after few years due to high maintenance and salt powder build up underneath...., however, I do not know what brand he had.
Her is another review link for similar product:
5 Problems with Plastic Garage Floor Tiles
Good luck with your project.
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
John, you are lucky to live in winter salt free area - NC.
My friend had it and removed it after few years due to high maintenance and salt powder build up underneath...., however, I do not know what brand he had.
Her is another review link for similar product:
5 Problems with Plastic Garage Floor Tiles
Good luck with your project.
I ordered the "closed" tiles therefor nothing will fall into the slots like it will in the open ones. Just have to sweep it like our concrete floor.
 
Ensure the garage floor is not seasonally exposed to moisture permeating from beneath. Signs of that can take the form of white efflorescence as salts/lime within the concrete disassociate from the base. I suspect in dryer regions this is not an issue.
 
Houtman_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
John, you are lucky to live in winter salt free area - NC.
My friend had it and removed it after few years due to high maintenance and salt powder build up underneath...., however, I do not know what brand he had.
Her is another review link for similar product:
5 Problems with Plastic Garage Floor Tiles
Good luck with your project.
I ordered the "closed" tiles therefor nothing will fall into the slots like it will in the open ones. Just have to sweep it like our concrete floor.
I ordered the "closed" tiles therefor nothing will fall into the slots like it will in the open ones. Just have to sweep it like our concrete floor.
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ensure the garage floor is not seasonally exposed to moisture permeating from beneath. Signs of that can take the form of white efflorescence as salts/lime within the concrete disassociate from the base. I suspect in dryer regions this is not an issue.
I just wonder if this "closed" type would be a perfect solution here in Ontario, without pretreating raw concrete floor in my garage??
 
Based on what I have seen, unless the garage is highly elevated above the neighbourhood, many garages in Ontario weep, especially in the spring. The hydro pressure from beneath, if nowhere else to go, can cause peeling of epoxy coatings - typically because they don't "breathe". A closed tile would be similar, but would just peel up or seep around the tile edges. Open tiles should not be an issue, but need to be vacuumed from time-to-time to remove loose crud (or lifted and swept).
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Based on what I have seen, unless the garage is highly elevated above the neighbourhood, many garages in Ontario weep, especially in the spring. The hydro pressure from beneath, if nowhere else to go, can cause peeling of epoxy coatings - typically because they don't "breathe". A closed tile would be similar, but would just peel up or seep around the tile edges. Open tiles should not be an issue, but need to be vacuumed from time-to-time to remove loose crud (or lifted and swept).
U confirmed me with my thinking
 
I have had Race Deck in my garage for close to a decade now, and couldn’t be happier with it. Looks great, easy to clean, and no problems whatsoever. Clean the concrete up a bit, snap it down, trim where needed. Great stuff.
a1d8f366cf6d611a4831c7c12faeed8a.jpg
0570756104ecc512a252965c04d8b78a.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
First: nice bikes, 2nd = nice garage...have you ever been curious to lift up tiles and see underneath???, you live in winter salt area as well NJ... unless you do not park salty car inside, please clarify
 
Tidy garage indeed.

Salt from winter cars typically only degrades the finish of concrete surface. But to your point PB, if salt was dripping down into the tile seams, I suspect from time-to-time Capo would just be sweeping up.
 
Capo_imp said:
I have had Race Deck in my garage for close to a decade now, and couldn’t be happier with it. Looks great, easy to clean, and no problems whatsoever. Clean the concrete up a bit, snap it down, trim where needed. Great stuff.
a1d8f366cf6d611a4831c7c12faeed8a.jpg
0570756104ecc512a252965c04d8b78a.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now there's a man who appreciates exotic high performance machinery
 
peterbaron_imp said:
First: nice bikes, 2nd = nice garage...have you ever been curious to lift up tiles and see underneath???, you live in winter salt area as well NJ... unless you do not park salty car inside, please clarify
I've lifted a few when I spilled oil and to trim a bit. No probs. MY wife's car goes in the empty bay you see there ( I had to leave her one!) and it is used in all weather, and again, no problem at all.
The ferret_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
I have had Race Deck in my garage for close to a decade now, and couldn’t be happier with it. Looks great, easy to clean, and no problems whatsoever. Clean the concrete up a bit, snap it down, trim where needed. Great stuff.
a1d8f366cf6d611a4831c7c12faeed8a.jpg
0570756104ecc512a252965c04d8b78a.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now there's a man who appreciates exotic high performance machinery
Now there's a man who appreciates exotic high performance machinery
I appreciate my understanding, tolerant wife even more so!
Houtman_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
John, you are lucky to live in winter salt free area - NC.
My friend had it and removed it after few years due to high maintenance and salt powder build up underneath...., however, I do not know what brand he had.
Her is another review link for similar product:
5 Problems with Plastic Garage Floor Tiles
Good luck with your project.
I ordered the "closed" tiles therefor nothing will fall into the slots like it will in the open ones. Just have to sweep it like our concrete floor.
I ordered the "closed" tiles therefor nothing will fall into the slots like it will in the open ones. Just have to sweep it like our concrete floor.
Yes, I don't really understand the porous/ grid style tiles. Mine are solid coin pattern, nothing gets through after they're locked in place.
 
I have Race Deck solid tiles and generally satisfied with performance. However, if you spill any liquid on this surface it will seep between the tiles and will be a mess to clean up. Especially motor oil. Ask me how I know! Problem is you have take apart all areas exposed, and the back side of tiles consist of a grid that has many nooks and crannies. A real mess.
 
Thread starter
Teamwalker_imp said:
I have Race Deck solid tiles and generally satisfied with performance. However, if you spill any liquid on this surface it will seep between the tiles and will be a mess to clean up. Especially motor oil. Ask me how I know! Problem is you have take apart all areas exposed, and the back side of tiles consist of a grid that has many nooks and crannies. A real mess.
Can't you leave the oil underneath them and only clean the surface ?
 
Back
Top