Rabaconda street tire changer: initial review

I got a real tire machine last spring with and digital balancer. Also got the motorcycle adaptors. I was Going to get one of these but a real tire machine was only 700 bucks more and I do a lot of car tires anyways. new shed is a mess but far better than the old one some day soon a proper garage would be awesome ive done probable 200 car tires and a few motorcycles ive yet to do my cb though lol but i can recommend the mayflower its a china machine but has been great 1300 shipped to a local dock and the balancer was 850 the motorcycle accessories were about 400 more

2d93c9b5315f61528682e389069aa0c7.jpg

35bc2e6a8667ee0dd2620b6cdff4de5d.jpg
 
Thread starter
1973cb750_imp said:
I got a real tire machine last spring with and digital balancer. Also got the motorcycle adaptors. I was Going to get one of these but a real tire machine was only 700 bucks more and I do a lot of car tires anyways. new shed is a mess but far better than the old one some day soon a proper garage would be awesome ive done probable 200 car tires and a few motorcycles ive yet to do my cb though lol but i can recommend the mayflower its a china machine but has been great 1300 shipped to a local dock and the balancer was 850 the motorcycle accessories were about 400 more

2d93c9b5315f61528682e389069aa0c7.jpg

35bc2e6a8667ee0dd2620b6cdff4de5d.jpg
Looks cool! I'd come over just to watch it work. You being all young at 36 and doing car tires too...you'll get to suck the life out of that machine and the other necessities.
 
pdedse_imp said:
1973cb750_imp said:
I got a real tire machine last spring with and digital balancer. Also got the motorcycle adaptors. I was Going to get one of these but a real tire machine was only 700 bucks more and I do a lot of car tires anyways. new shed is a mess but far better than the old one some day soon a proper garage would be awesome ive done probable 200 car tires and a few motorcycles ive yet to do my cb though lol but i can recommend the mayflower its a china machine but has been great 1300 shipped to a local dock and the balancer was 850 the motorcycle accessories were about 400 more

2d93c9b5315f61528682e389069aa0c7.jpg

35bc2e6a8667ee0dd2620b6cdff4de5d.jpg
Looks cool! I'd come over just to watch it work. You being all young at 36 and doing car tires too...you'll get to suck the life out of that machine and the other necessities.
Looks cool! I'd come over just to watch it work. You being all young at 36 and doing car tires too...you'll get to suck the life out of that machine and the other necessities.
Thats the idea lol its paid for it self already
I went to get 4 tires i had bought for a chevy sonic and firestone wanted 385$ just to mount them just bringing the wheels in so i went home and ordered those ill do it my self for that price
 
Just a tip for aligning the rear wheel on the cb1100;
The width of the front disks is exactly the same as the width of the rear tire, so i use a string from the front disk to the rear tire behind the sidestand spring with a clear path like this;









After the rear shaft is tight enough so it won't shift by itself adjust the two 8mm screws so the string just touches the front of the tire's edge and then tighten the shaft up to spec.

After that tighten the 8mm bolts so they won't wriggle loose, just check them after the shaft is done up.


Love this thread.
 
Max, presumably that works only if you’re mounting a 140 rear tyre?
 
I had a Coats car tire changer and wheel balancer... used it 3-4 times on my own tires, and once for a friend... but ended up getting rid of both because the amount of space they took up... the time between tire changes...and having to get rid of the old tires once I put the new ones on.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
I had a Coats car tire changer and wheel balancer... used it 3-4 times on my own tires, and once for a friend... but ended up getting rid of both because the amount of space they took up... the time between tire changes...and having to get rid of the old tires once I put the new ones on.
i got friends who work at tire shops they let me dump them in their pile, hoping to build a 30x40 14 heigh shop in a few years and then theyll have a dedicated area to live
 
Thread starter
Changed out the front tire on the CB1100 today, using the Rabaconda.  I put on a Pirelli Sportdemon...the Avon Roadrunner had 8k miles on it and maybe another 2-3k miles could be had, but I don't want to mess with tire change during a possible trip coming up.  I'll keep the old Avon as an emergency tire.

Last change was the rear in November of '24, and I kinda had to re-watch the how-to videos, go over my own notes and photos.  I remember from last time there are two steps that you really have to pay attention to for the process to go well.  I removed the wheel from the bike, broke the bead and got the tire off from the wheel no poblems.  The raba is really good at this and I was pleased with myself--looked like I was going to finish in just a couple of hours.  

Then I tried to mount the Pirelli.  It was a warm, sunny day today so I was able to fully warm up the tire by leaving it in the sun.  I followed the instructions to a T, but the thingymabob that runs around the rim forcing the bead over it slipped off a couple of times.  And then I stretched the tube at the base of the valve too much and it split.  It was an old tube, so no biggy as I had another.  Tried again and failed again.  The mechanism got good and stuck this time and I had to undo some some bolts to free it from the rim and tire.  Took a pecan pie break and watched the video again.  I noticed what I was doing wrong...the bead absolutely must be behind that plastic "duck head" as shown below, and I was trying it with the bead straddling that curvy plastic part. 
   
ryvCU8e.jpg


And you have to make sure the bead stays behind the duck head the entire time you ratchet the arm that moves this around and installs the tire.  If you let the bead pop-out in front of the duck head, you're screwed if you don't notice and keep going.  This took me about 3 hours to get right as I kept checking videos and photos to see what I was doing wrong.  But once I saw what I wasn't doing, then it was easy peasy.  I don't think I'll forget this detail next time around.  

I balanced the tire and decided to take the W800 out for a spin as daylight was fading.  I needed to step away from the project.  I'll get the tire back on the bike tomorrow morning.

With this 3rd tire change, the Rabaconda is half paid for.  I have 3-4 more changes I need to do this year, so that will make me about even.  

The Raba is a good to great piece of equipment.  I never imagined I would be changing and balancing tires for the CB1100 and the W800.  If one were changing tubeless, this would be super easy.  

While breaking downt the Rabaconda, a bolt got stuck and stripped.  It's a specialty quick-release bolt that had me thinking from the get-go that it would not hold up.  I'll contact Raba to see if they'll send me a new one, or I might just buy my own from a local hardware store.
 
Thread starter
pdedse said:
... While breaking down the Rabaconda, a bolt got stuck and stripped.  It's a specialty quick-release bolt that had me thinking from the get-go that it would not hold up.  I'll contact Raba to see if they'll send me a new one, or I might just buy my own from a local hardware store.

On Monday of this week I emailed Rabaconda asking them if they would send me a new quick-release screw.  Today, 2 days later, I got an email back from them: 

"Thank you for contacting Rabaconda.

I am sorry to hear the Quick Release Screw stripped out. I will send a warranty replacement to the address you provided.

Rest assured, we stand firmly behind our lifetime warranty promise. Your positive experience with our tools is our top priority, and we're here for you—anytime you have questions or need support, don’t hesitate to reach out."

Sometimes we call out a company for lack of good customer support.  By the same measure, when they respond like the above, it should also be pointed out and made note of.  

Good on Rabaconda.

I also received email notification that the replacement quick-release screw has already been sent out.
 
Good news, pdedse.
Looks like Rabaconda stands behind their product to retain present and get new customers
 
What a treat to come across excellent service like that.
 
Thread starter
Best outing with the Rabaconda yet, this time changed the front tire on the W800.  Removed wheel/tire from the bike, broke bead, Raba-removed the tire, Raba-installed new tire, balanced the wheel, installed back on the bike.  Started at 10:30, hour off for lunch, and all done with tools put away by 2:15.  This time breaking the bead was a bit more difficult as the head of the arm kept sliding up the side of the tire, but once I got the angle right, it broke w/out too much effort.  Removing and mounting tire was laughingly easy.  I mean literally...I was laughing out loud as it went on w/out any real effort, and I was flashing back to hours and hours of struggling with my KLR650s tires.  When you work this tool right, it's fantastic.

I think I could get this down to around 2 hours from start to finish, including setting up the installer and breaking it down.  That's 4 tire changes since last October.  I calculate that 6 changes pays for the Rabaconda, and I still have the DR650 to do, but I'll likely try that first w/out the Rabaconda to see if my "field tire-changing" skills are intact.  

Talcskf.jpg


Anyway, my summary review at this point is: easily a "two thumbs up" or 5 out of 5 stars.  It's easy to put together and comes with a great installation booklet with clear pictures.  There are Rabaconda how-to videos (another a number of other youtube review videos), and they offer tech support although I didn't need to contact them.  It's easy to break down and comes with a duffle like storing bag, so it doesn't take up much room.  

I understand a lot of riders don't want to mess with tire changes, and there are advantages to a shop doing them.  I was concerned that maybe I shouldn't even be trying now that I'm in my early 60s.  But I think at 4 attempts, I've gotten to the point that the most difficult part is re-installing the wheel back on the bike.  But...it is worth $650?  So far I would have paid over $400 to do what I've done since last fall.  I can take it with me in my pickup when I do mc / pickup camping in eastern Oregon.  It hasn't happened yet, but I can help friends with changes or loan it out.  

Got both the W800 and CB1100 ready to do road trips...now I have to decide which one goes first.
 
Back
Top