Quietest Modular Helmet?

Gumby 1100_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I know that this a rather "subjective" subject, but I was hoping for some comments on what you feel is the quietest helmet. I have a new Street Shield EX (yet uninstalled), but I would rather keep the naked look of the CB1100 intact as long as possible.

I'm considering the new Scorpion EXO-900, but don't want to spend the money if it won't be any quieter than my HJC-IS33.

I cannot get my head into any full-face helmets that I have tried, and most 2XL are still pretty tight, but at least the EXO-900 didn't seem too oppressive or claustrophobic.

So, please throw your comments into the ring for the quietest Modular Helmet, riding without and with a windscreen.

Thanks in advance!
 
Rider magazine did a recent article on modular helmets. Top performer for quiet and weight was the Schuberth with the HJC RPHA a close second. I tried on a Schuberth at a bike show and it was very quiet and it will be my next helmet. Tried on the HJC also but it's inner contour does not fit my oval shaped head.

Competition Accessories has the Schuberth listed for $566 and the HJC at $459.
 
A couple of years ago I was in the market, and finally whittled down my list to the Shoei NeoTec and the Schubert (C3?).
Due to an amazing sale at my local M/C superstore, I ended up going with the Shoei. Absolutely amazing, very quiet, high quality helmet. Can't say enough good about it. The smoked inner shield that drops down is a big plus, too (I was told that that model is the only one on the market that didn't cut into the structure of the helmet to add the shield, by the way).
Another member of the Triumph forum and I were exchanging info at the time, since we were both looking at the exact same two helmets - he ended up with the Schubert, a high end German model. Oddly enough, he ended up hating it - it had an annoying whistle, fogged badly even with the PinLok, and parts started falling off of it! Obviously, he wasn't too happy, after what he'd paid for it. Everybody was surprised, to say the least...although I want to make clear that I have no personal experience with them riding, just passing on what was stated in that forum.
Anyway, I'd highly recommend the NeoTec. They're a little pricier than most of the other models, but check Chaparral Motorsports - they often run sales, and depending on colour, it might put the price in the ballpark with the others.
Best of luck!
 
redbirds_imp said:
Rider magazine did a recent article on modular helmets. Top performer for quiet and weight was the Schuberth with the HJC RPHA a close second. I tried on a Schuberth at a bike show and it was very quiet and it will be my next helmet. Tried on the HJC also but it's inner contour does not fit my oval shaped head.

Competition Accessories has the Schuberth listed for $566 and the HJC at $459.
This is what I was going to suggest; read the Rider results.
The June 2014 issue of Rider has the reviews on about a dozen modular helmets.
I've had three HJC modular's and still have a Nolan modular. I like them all, but I wear earplugs anyway if I'm going any distance at high sustained speeds.
I'm thinking of getting the HJC RPHA.
 
Nolan N-104. Quiet, outstanding ventilation, easily removable liner for washing, huge eyeport, lockable in the open position, drop-down sun visor. My 102 and 103 both lasted for years. They aren't half the price of the Shoei or Schubert, but they're a lot less. I've compared Nolan to both other brands side by side and if I'm honest, I'd pick the Nolan even if it were the same price. Mostly because I like the liner material better, but the larger eyeport would be reason 2.
 
I have a hjc SyMax 3 modular helmet and with the street shield ex stock, unmodified, I was experiencing more noise and wind buffeting issues at the helmet to the point it was tiring.

With the bike naked the hjc wasn't totally quiet but was bearable on long runs over 70mph.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Is there an RPHA modular and an RPHA non modular? I just remembered receiving the email notice that they had some RHPA's on sale.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Is there an RPHA modular and an RPHA non modular? I just remembered receiving the email notice that they had some RHPA's on sale.
Seems there might be. I did find the RPHA MAX, which is modular, priced at $348.99 - $359.99 at compacc.com in solid colors. It got a fine review in the Rider write-up. Also, they liked a Fulmer unit, but they can only be purchased at a dealer, they don't allow internet sales. And I suppose fitment can be tricky, so a trip to a store probably makes sense anyway.
 
jodyz_imp said:
Ack-CB11_imp said:
I love my Shoei Neotec. Good sound isolation with very little wind noise.
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/neotec/
I have the Neotec. I wouldn't call it "quiet". I find the wind noise tiresome even after my 24 mile commute to or from work. Riding with earplugs make the Neotec, and every other helmet, less annoying.
I have the Neotec. I wouldn't call it "quiet". I find the wind noise tiresome even after my 24 mile commute to or from work. Riding with earplugs make the Neotec, and every other helmet, less annoying.
I have the same experience with my neotec, sans earplugs. I've yet to try them because I have a hard enough time keeping them in without putting a helmet on. I'm planning on some custom plugs at some point. The vast majority of my riding is my 41 mile each way commute that I'm generally doing between 75-85 mph for.

That said, I love my neotec but there are a couple complaints. If you flip the tinted shield down at speed, there's a noticeable change in pitch because of the change in position of the selector. Also, if I ride with the visor up at all, I get a very irritating whistle. Because of that, I always flip the face up whenever I stop or need air. I also have a street shield EX, which I feel is a must for this bike if you're going to spend any amount of time above 65 mph, but it doesn't really cut down on helmet noise for me.
 
Webbikeworld web site has an extensive section on helmet fits for various head shapes, worth reading before spending very big bucks on a high end helmet. Shape of your head really does matter. Shoes fits me well, Arai my wife.
I spent $100 on some custom molded ear plugs, makes every helmet very quiet. No regrets.
 
HJC helmets fit me the best. However, I wish their modulars including the RPHA-Max would have a different tinted sun visor mechanism. I thing that front-to-back longitudinal cutout for the opening/closing slide needs to contribute to the in-helmet wind noise.

Last week I bought a Neotec to replace my IS-Max because a small piece of plastic broke inside the HJC that created a very annoying whistle. Haven't had a chance to ride but 20 in-town miles with the Neotec so not much experience with it yet but I expect the smaller sun visor system together with the fluffier neck roll and the chin guard result in a quieter ride.

My $0.02 and YMMV
:cool:

Edited to add that another plus with the Neotec is that the sun visor does not touch my nose and my glasses fit comfortably behind it unlike in my HJC.
 
Back
Top