Questions

Entropy_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hi all, so I have liked the cb1100 since the 1st press releases came out. To me it looks like what a motorcycle should look like. But I have a few questions for the owners. I am 6'1" and worry it is too small. I am proportionate, not a long torso and not long legs relatively speaking. Any tall riders here with feedback or mods to make it fit better. Or is it good to go as is.

Another question, this will be the 1st time back on a bike since the 1980's. I like a relaxed ride for enjoyment, do not need blistering speed, outrageous lean angles or wheelies( read: I am older!) the reports seem to point me in the direction of the honda. I also like the Bonnie as well, but honda is honda and I believe they are a better bike manufacturer and reliable. Any regrets with purchasing the bike? Shortcomings?

I can get some good deals on leftover 2013 models, but do you think the 2014 upgrades are worth the extra coin? Are the ergot any different on the 2014 model relative to a taller rider?

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Dave
 
Hi Dave! I'll skip over your "boo hoo I'm 6'1" and well proportioned" part of your post (since I'm not so vertically cursed) and focus on the part of your question regarding the ergos. Check out this website: Motorcycle Ergonomics It's awesome. You can put in just about any bike you want and it will tell and show you the ergonomics and you can have mutliple bikes open at once and compare the differences. Unfortunately, it looks like at present, they only have the 2013 and not the 2014. But you can compare them to other bikes you're considering or other bikes you've had and get an idea of how much more comfortable you'd be. It also has the option to take into consideration aftermarket add-ons like risers or lower rearsets.

I had a 2007 Bonnie and although I loved the styling and it was a "nice" motorcycle, something about it just didn't do it for me. It definitely doesn't pull or feel like the CB1100. Completely different bike! I prefer the CB a thousand times more. Although, I must say, the stock suspension on the Bonnie was set up much nicer than what I've found on the CB so far. The CB is much harsher on uneven roads. I'm going to play around with the suspension and see if I can soften things up but from what I've read, aftermarket shocks may be in my future.

Good luck to you!
 
I can't help you much with the size question as I'm 5' 8" and the bike fits me fine. I'm also 77 years-old.
I own both a Bonneville and a CB. There is no question in my mind the CB is by far the most refined and smoother of the two.
I don't agree with your comment that the Triumphs are less reliable or built to a lesser standard. They have a pretty enviable reputation for durability and longevity.
But they're both very different so they really can't be compared.
Both bikes put a smile on my face.
I had the Bonneville eight years before I bought the CB and certainly have no plans to part with it.
 
Hi, regarding ergos. I am 5 10 and I found that my knees were bent a bit too much for comfort. I put highway pegs on it, much relief. Looking into a taller more cushy seat, to make it perfect. The little things makke it yours. Overall I am in love with Rhonda the Honda(Cb 1100). Looks perfect, handles like a much smaller machine, super refined easy to live with motor. I get compliments everywhere I go.
 
Hi Dave and welcome. I know some have said the leg position was a bit tight, but not for me.
I'm 6'0, 33" inseam, and 34/35" arm measurements. I actually have no complaints about the leg room, but even with my longish arms I feel I'm reaching a tiny bit too far for the handlebars. Nothing really uncomfortable, just has me thinking about it. I've only put about 700 miles on the bike so far, so I'm still very much learning and adjusting and won't make any decision on bar risers yet.

I'd say you need a test ride, but even a 10 minute test ride won't tell you the whole story of the bike.

As far as the '13 vs.'14 goes, I actually liked the look of the '13 and that's what I bought. I was wondering if I would regret not getting the '14 and it's speed trans, but have not once felt I needed it. Also, buying the '13 with 574 miles on it probably saved me over 3 thousand, which is nothing to sneeze at.
 
6'1" 34" inseam here. 13000 miles on my 2013 without any issues with the riding position. I am thinking about lowering the pegs just slightly (search the forum for pegs and you'll find a couple of ideas there) and adding highway pegs just to let me move around a bit more on linger trips. Again, though, I have had no issues with feeling comfortable on this bike.
 
" Another question, this will be the 1st time back on a bike since the 1980's. I like a relaxed ride for enjoyment, do not need blistering speed, outrageous lean angles or wheelies (read: I am older!) the reports seem to point me in the direction of the honda. "

I can respond to the above portion on your questions. What you are looking for describes the CB 1100 to a TEE. Never seen a bike so rider friendly.
 
I am 187cm, which I think converts to just about 6'1", and I find the position on the bike perfect. I suppose a lot of it also depends on what you are used to from before though as previously I was riding sportier bikes with a different position on the bike. As a results my legs feel very comfortable although I am used to having the feet a bit further back, and to be honest I have been considering a lower handle bar so as to get a bit more lean forward. But then I take a ride on the CB, and I really like the more relaxed position.

So, the bike is certainly not too small for somebody this size, but it will be a personal taste how comfortable you are on it.
 
Entropy_imp said:
Hi all, so I have liked the cb1100 since the 1st press releases came out. To me it looks like what a motorcycle should look like. But I have a few questions for the owners. I am 6'1" and worry it is too small. I am proportionate, not a long torso and not long legs relatively speaking. Any tall riders here with feedback or mods to make it fit better. Or is it good to go as is.

Another question, this will be the 1st time back on a bike since the 1980's. I like a relaxed ride for enjoyment, do not need blistering speed, outrageous lean angles or wheelies( read: I am older!) the reports seem to point me in the direction of the honda. I also like the Bonnie as well, but honda is honda and I believe they are a better bike manufacturer and reliable. Any regrets with purchasing the bike? Shortcomings?

I can get some good deals on leftover 2013 models, but do you think the 2014 upgrades are worth the extra coin? Are the ergot any different on the 2014 model relative to a taller rider?

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Dave
I am 6'2" with a 32 inch inseam. I find the bike to fit just fine. Reach to the bars is great. Pegs could be a little lower, but is is not at all cramped or uncomfortable. Excellent for a passenger as well. My wife is most happy, with a few inches of seat room to move fore and aft.
 
5'11" with 33" legs, I thought I was perfectly fine with stock 13 bike.
Bought a K&H High seat for more comfort, ended up liking it for the extra 1" height gain.
When I go back to the stock seat now, it does feel cramped.
I also went with the Honda OEM low handlebars, which are about 1" lower.
I was used to sport bikes so thought the CB bars were too high and had me feeling like a preying mantis :-)
 
Due to falling down and going boom I'm no long 6'-2", more like 5'-11" and of slim build (I prefer athletic, but that may be pushing things a bit :) ). However; I have a 36" inseam - have never met a bike I could not flat foot.

I installed lowered foot pegs which helped a lot (on two fairly tight low speed turns I have touched down with my boot toes). When I bought a Laam Custom seat he added about 3/4", also a bit help.

The bike is pretty relaxed with no tendancies to ask to be a hooligan (my Griso is the opposite). When you read about the design philosophy Honda used to build this bike they had you in mind.

The Bonnie is a good bike, but like the original Bonnie vs. CB-750, the CB will eat the Bonneville's clock. That said, you buy a Bonneville because you want a retro twin or you just like Bonnevilles and get a CB because you have fond memories of the older CB's or you just love the looks. I don't see these bikes as competitors like they were back in the day. I've ridden a Bonnie and I prefer a Moto Guzzi. Shrug. For old standard bikes, I prefer the CB.

All that said, this is a very well designed and executed motorcycle. You can get it and leave it stock and not really be disappointed. Or you can farkle it up as much as you want. Being a standard, it is real easy to make it your own.

Between the 13 and 14, if I bought today I'd go with the 14 strictly for the 6th gear. But if you can only find a 13 near by, if it was a good deal go ahead and get it. There are things on the 13 I prefer over the 14, like dash and controls. All pretty minor details.

My main complaint, with my Sidi Adventure boots, until I lowered the pegs, My right boot tended to ride the brake pedal and I ended up warping two discs before I noodled out what was going on. This is something to be aware of but from what I can tell, pretty rare. If I wore my Tourmaster touring boots this didn't happen. Different toe geopmetry and better foot feel.

For long road trips I prefer the locomotive thrum of my Moto Guzzi Griso, but for around town and on tight twisty bits the CB rocks.
 
I am 6'4 34 inseam. I hate to break it to you but you will never find a bike that fits you perfect. Pretty much all bikes are modeled for people well under 6 ft. tall. I spent a good year looking for the perfect bike. I prefer control over anything. I own the cb and it's a heck of a lot better than a harley or my previous shadow. The long seat lets your scoot back a little if needed but the upright posture is super comfy and I'm friggin' tall. I like small easier to manuver. Anyways I test rode a few touring Harleys and Victorys recommended for tall people and hated them felt like I was driving a big a** boat not a bike.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the replies. I like the triumph bonneville as well as a lot of their other models. I fell in love with the looks of the CB. The Bonnie is what got me looking at a bike again when they first released it, a very nice looking retro.

My other option I was looking at was a Kawasaki versys. Light, tallish, upright, spunky but not silly power and reasonable price used.

Not sure which direction I will go yet, but the looks of the CB always pull me in.

I think the 2013 would be fine for me, but it think I want ABS and that can be a little hard to find. Non ABS 2013's are priced to move now.
 
Good luck in your hunting, Entropy. Even if you decide not to go with the CB, drop in and let us know what you do chose. We like pretty much all motorcycles here.
 
The Versys is a very nice bike. I have yet to ride one but was able to talk to a fellow touring on one outside Wibaux Montana. He was from the west coast.

The biggest complaint, and I can confirm from sitting on one in the showroom, the stock seat slants forward so you tend to slide into the tank. I do believe there is a factory optional tall seat available but you also have a boat load of custom seat makers that can fix that for you too.

Along the lines of the Versys, the KTM Duke, a 390 (??) water cooled single. Light as a feather, about 68hp - which is insane for such a light bike. A buddy just picked one up which makes two in our gang that have them (while folks I know have an extremely wide assortment of machines, no one has a Versys. Yet.). My buddy plans on touring with his Duke (he has a cafe'd DR800 imported from Germany that is just crazy cool and a Magni Guzzi that is a real ball buster and he has toured on all of them, says the Duke will feel like a Wing compared to the Magni. He is a thumper kinda guy though. The Duke is very much a niche bike.

For tall guys with, shall we say, robust inseams, Adventure bikes are your best bet. I had a Moto Guzzi Quota for several years (their adventure bike, since replaced by the Stelvio) and in truth it was a great road bike and handled way better than folks realized. The Vstroms are excellent choices in that regard and it is only a small miracle I don't have a 650 Vstrom.

Enjoy this phase, in many ways it's almost as much fun as actually riding. The International Motorcycle Show is touring again. Home Recommended. Especially if manufactures offer test rides when the show is in your area (easy to do in Phoenix this time of year. :D ).

From my experience, if you want a good looking standard bike that fits a tall person, the Bonneville and CB1100 are pretty much your only choices.

Oh, I have a Honda XR650L, easy peasy, the thing fits but you do have to replace the handle bar or add risers as it's too damn low. But 450/650 dual sports are a hoot and come with tons of leg room. Tons!
 
Rboe the 690 Duke produces 68 hp, the 390 44 hp

My nephew has the 690. Fun bike in the twisties, not so much anywhere else.
 
Entropy, I have the Versys and overall it's a nice bike. I find it a little bland and am looking to sell mine but it's reliable and a friendly, easy ride. It'll go anywhere and do anything but doesn't try to excel at any one thing. I'm 6' with a 32" inseam and find it a bit tall to get on and off comfortably, though the height is nice around town in traffic. My torso is straight up when I ride...for some reason it makes me feel like a nerdy librarian. :) I also find the wind buffeting from the stock windshield just terrible. Two aftermarket shields I tried are a bit better but I'm happiest with no windshield at all. If you're looking at the Versys, I'd definitely recommend checking out the V-Strom as it's similar but perhaps a better ride. (Unless you want to buy my 2011 Versys, then you should definitely go with the Versys, lol!)
 
The ferret_imp said:
Rboe the 690 Duke produces 68 hp, the 390 44 hp

My nephew has the 690. Fun bike in the twisties, not so much anywhere else.
Well that makes a lot more sense. I need to talk to Glenn (too many Dukes), I thought he had the 390, I wonder if it was the 690 now. My head is spinning now. :P Thanks for the correction (as I get older, this happens way too often)
 
Back
Top