Quality - Honda vs. Kawa (and others ?)

Ollie_imp said:
For anyone who yet hasn't, I strongly suggest removing the front fender to clean and treat the rust on the under side of it.
Any advice on how to properly treat the rust?
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
For anyone who yet hasn't, I strongly suggest removing the front fender to clean and treat the rust on the under side of it.
My rear CB1100 fender was pretty back for rust.
My rear CB1100 fender was pretty [bad] for rust.
Input technology woes is gettin' pretty tiresome.

"back" --> "bad"
 
Whoops_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
For anyone who yet hasn't, I strongly suggest removing the front fender to clean and treat the rust on the under side of it.
Any advice on how to properly treat the rust?
Any advice on how to properly treat the rust?
It's of interest to me, too, so I went looking for threads from the past, as I know there were a couple dealing with it:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10061

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17841&highlight=rust

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9395
 
pdedse_imp said:
Whoops_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
For anyone who yet hasn't, I strongly suggest removing the front fender to clean and treat the rust on the under side of it.
Any advice on how to properly treat the rust?
Any advice on how to properly treat the rust?
It's of interest to me, too, so I went looking for threads from the past, as I know there were a couple dealing with it:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10061

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17841&highlight=rust

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9395
Any advice on how to properly treat the rust?
It's of interest to me, too, so I went looking for threads from the past, as I know there were a couple dealing with it:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=10061

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=17841&highlight=rust

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9395
Thanks for those, I will dig through them in a bit. I think I read several posts on the subject a year ago or more, but didn't take the subject seriously until now. I recall reading one where somebody treated it then coated the inside of the fender, but I fear if every last spec of rust isn't gone, then you are just hiding the problem, kind of like roaches. You think it's gone until one day...

Coincidentally I had a 1981 Honda Accord sedan when I was younger. They mixed rust into the paint it seems back then because that car rusted fast enough you could almost watch it. Perhaps Honda was going all the way with the nostalgia factor? :D
 
I only ride in dry weather, or at least as much as possible, and living in a dry area, I was lucky that my bike only had the slightest hint of corrosion under the fenders. I put a lot of work into polishing out the undersides of the fenders. Any time that I get a splash during a ride, when I get back to the barn, I'll reach under the rear fender and give it a quick wipe. For the front wheel, I'll fold a towel over a few times, put it on the front tire, and then roll the bike backward, so that the towel gets drug around under the fender by the tire, and catches any moisture trapped under the front fender.
 
Thread starter
I ride my EX in dry (90%) and wet. Just been in the garage to check: absolutely no rust under the fenders after 6y. Could it be that Honda improved their quality with the 17 model ? Would be curious to hear from other EX owners.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
I ride my EX in dry (90%) and wet. Just been in the garage to check: absolutely no rust under the fenders after 6y. Could it be that Honda improved their quality with the 17 model ? Would be curious to hear from other EX owners.
Mine is a 17 EX and shows signs of rust under the front where the tack welds and near the edge folds. The rear looks very good still.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
I ride my EX in dry (90%) and wet. Just been in the garage to check: absolutely no rust under the fenders after 6y. Could it be that Honda improved their quality with the 17 model ? Would be curious to hear from other EX owners.
My 2017 MY (registered on the road 2018) had rust coming through the paint that the last owner put on and that was only at 5K miles when I got it. I don't know how much wet riding they did but I doubt it was much. I try and avoid the rain on the CB with the good fortune to own another bike.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
I ride my EX in dry (90%) and wet. Just been in the garage to check: absolutely no rust under the fenders after 6y. Could it be that Honda improved their quality with the 17 model ? Would be curious to hear from other EX owners.
Sorry to disappoint you Gecko, mine is a 17' and has rust under both fenders and planned to work on it this spring.
 
I've been a Honda fan forever, but nothing is perfect. I learned to ride on a Honda 350, and it never let me down. My Honda CL450 developed a quirk of running great, then barely running. I futzed with it for weeks and a dealer/mechanic couldn't find a problem, then one day, it was in it's fussy mood. I looked it over, nothing was obvious, until I shined a flashlight between the cylinders at the two carbs. I saw a pieced of a shaft sticking out of the starboard carb. It had a groove in it for a clip. I looked at the port carb, and there it was, the curved piece of metal that linked the carbs together. There was a hole in it for another carb, the starboard one. I got it back in place, but had no clip, and put a hunk of bailing wire in the groove and twisted and trimmed it. Viola! It ran like a Honda again. My current CB1100 developed a slipping clutch and the lever felt odd. I took the cap off the hydraulic reservoir, and the diaphragm was all bunched up in there. I pulled it out, straightened it, put it back, added about a tablespoon of fluid, and all better. I drive a Honda Accord V6 Coupe, my wife drives a CR-V, and I've had Honda generators and outboard engines. Not perfect, but very, very good. If Honda built a biplane, I'd take flying lessons.
 
Regarding Honda as a brand, nothing will make you more enthusiastic to be a Honda owner than the first five minutes of the Rose Parade. Honda is the main sponsor, and the first few minutes of the parade always features Honda's newest models. This year, people were dancing on a CRV and a DJ was DJ-ing in the bed of a Ridgeline.

I've always had at least one Honda motorcycle in the garage and always will. While I've driven Fords for years (goes with the job), Mrs. G has been a Honda driver since before we met. If Honda sold a bike in the U.S. like a W800 or a Bonneville, I'd get one. The CB1100 was the last "modern classic" we got, so I'm keeping mine.

Last night after work, I went on a long hike to meet up with Mrs. for dinner. Along the way, I passed "dealer row" and strolling into the Honda showroom, the two cars I'd most likely buy for us were sitting next to each other. A dark blue CRV for her, and a Civic SI with manual for me. Got me dreaming for the rest of the walk.
 
No problem on my NC 750 which has plastic fenders lol. I imagine the swingarm and centerstand are susceptible though
 
... I think on my NC750 the rear shock was exposed to the washing of the rear wheel action.

Did they shroud that up with some plastic on your NC, Ferret?
 
That was an issue on my GS. But, luckily one of the high-end German accessory suppliers came up with a shroud to solve the problem.
Just a few hundred dollars.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
... I think on my NC750 the rear shock was exposed to the washing of the rear wheel action.

Did they shroud that up with some plastic on your NC, Ferret?
Nope, it's still wide open to water and dirt.
 
The ferret_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
... I think on my NC750 the rear shock was exposed to the washing of the rear wheel action.

Did they shroud that up with some plastic on your NC, Ferret?
Nope, it's still wide open to water and dirt.
Nope, it's still wide open to water and dirt.
:dodgy:
 
Thread starter
Alain Lee_imp said:
The Gecko_imp said:
I ride my EX in dry (90%) and wet. Just been in the garage to check: absolutely no rust under the fenders after 6y. Could it be that Honda improved their quality with the 17 model ? Would be curious to hear from other EX owners.
Sorry to disappoint you Gecko, mine is a 17' and has rust under both fenders and planned to work on it this spring.
Sorry to disappoint you Gecko, mine is a 17' and has rust under both fenders and planned to work on it this spring.
Let me know if you find a real good solution, pleaee.
 
The Gecko_imp said:
Alain Lee_imp said:
The Gecko_imp said:
I ride my EX in dry (90%) and wet. Just been in the garage to check: absolutely no rust under the fenders after 6y. Could it be that Honda improved their quality with the 17 model ? Would be curious to hear from other EX owners.
Sorry to disappoint you Gecko, mine is a 17' and has rust under both fenders and planned to work on it this spring.
Sorry to disappoint you Gecko, mine is a 17' and has rust under both fenders and planned to work on it this spring.
Let me know if you find a real good solution, pleaee.
Sorry to disappoint you Gecko, mine is a 17' and has rust under both fenders and planned to work on it this spring.
Let me know if you find a real good solution, pleaee.
Planning & Doing are two different things ;)). :biker:
 
Back
Top