QUAD LOCK IPHONE SYSTEM

Be aware.!

And a bit careful. I love the quad lock system, and have use it for my iPhone for years. BUT - when I upgraded to the iPhone 11 Pro... things went badly. When mounted to the handlebar, the vibration from the bike (I'm on a 2013 CB1100) wrecked the camera focusing stabilizer motors on the new phones (iPhone 8 and newer). I ate through 3 phones in 2 weeks, running the camera each time (all covered by Apple, thankfully) before I found a solution I could live with.

Rubber bits on the bar first didn't help. Some add-on dampening set ups were way to bulky and ridiculous. So - I chose to get it off the bar altogether and created a mounting bracket that actually tied into the Speedo Cluster/Instuments - so that the quad lock mount is actually attached to the existing dampening rubber mounts that hold the instrument panel. Seems complicated, but actually simple (although a little work to install).

Just a warning. I can post pics if/when anyone is keen on it.

-Mike
 
Thread starter
thanks friend . have you seen the new accessory on the quad lock website; of shock absorber? Could this accessory serve as a solution to what you are saying? I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max.
 
Thread starter
the idea would be to mount it on the left side; on the descent from the clutch to the bottom. that silicone cushion; It shouldn't vibrate the iPhone 11 as much. I appreciate your comment but it scares me then.
reading the web of quad lock; talk about the problem you mentioned about the stabilization camera of the smartphone ... maybe it is the solution.
Quad Lock introduces you to the vibration reducer, the vibration level of some motorcycles may affect the image stabilization on new smartphones. The Quad Lock Vibration Damper features a dual-frame suspension system with precision silicone eyelets to absorb vibration and protect your smartphone.

The Quad Lock vibration damper lets you confidently mount your smartphone on any motorcycle.
Compatible with all Quad Lock Motorcycle Mounts, Motorcycle USB Charger and Quad Lock Motorcycle Accessories, the Quad Lock Vibration Damper reduces over 90% of high frequency vibrations produced by motorcycles.
Featuring a dual-frame suspension system with precision silicone eyelets, the vibration damper absorbs vibrations to protect your smartphone camera.
The Quad Lock Vibration Damper comes with everything you need to integrate with your existing Quad Lock Motorcycle Mount and can be installed in minutes.
 
HigginsNYC_imp said:
Be aware.!

And a bit careful. I love the quad lock system, and have use it for my iPhone for years. BUT - when I upgraded to the iPhone 11 Pro... things went badly. When mounted to the handlebar, the vibration from the bike (I'm on a 2013 CB1100) wrecked the camera focusing stabilizer motors on the new phones (iPhone 8 and newer). I ate through 3 phones in 2 weeks, running the camera each time (all covered by Apple, thankfully) before I found a solution I could live with.

Rubber bits on the bar first didn't help. Some add-on dampening set ups were way to bulky and ridiculous. So - I chose to get it off the bar altogether and created a mounting bracket that actually tied into the Speedo Cluster/Instuments - so that the quad lock mount is actually attached to the existing dampening rubber mounts that hold the instrument panel. Seems complicated, but actually simple (although a little work to install).

Just a warning. I can post pics if/when anyone is keen on it.

-Mike
THIS IS 100% TRUE

I use the RAM Mount X Claw(have for years), had a 6S Plus I bought new in 2016, unfortunately that phone flew off on the highway due to 2 missing rubber stops back in January. In hindsight, the mount was never intended to be used at highway speeds without the rubber corner harness that helps support it in place, much less with only 2 rubber stops. At least not without a good enough fairing/cowl to eliminate all the wind pressure. That was one lesson learned

Due to this incident, I was then forced to buy an iPhone 11, first camera lasted a while...1st replacement back in August, then 2nd one back in November...

I'm going install a set of new rubber stops on the X mount that have been sitting inside their shipping packaging since January, and try the slightly larger "tablet" sized corner harness. If my phone camera fails again(Still under warranty). I'll have to figure out another solution..
 
All this suggests to me that newer iPhones are not as robust as their predecessors and will not be happy on the bars of the bike. That's not good news.

I've been using a Topeak waterproof case and mount for at least a couple years and I'm pretty happy with it.
 
Thread starter
It seems that the problem was detected, I don't know the date; and with the shock absorber it is corrected; for the tests and motorcycles used. if it is true that without fairing I would not dare; Although my motorcycle speed has been for years now and I am 56 and my eighth motorcycle is 130 km / h ... maximum.
 
RAM X-Grip should also be fine. RAM provides glue for the soft, rubber RLET-like nubbies. In addition, I have the optional rubber "net" to keep the phone down at freeway speeds, but it turns out I hardly use it.
 
Alfgaxatico_imp said:
someone has installed the quad lock system on the handlebar of the CB; to hold the mobile ????
I have. Works great. Here a few pics to show the mount, including with an iPhone 11 case. I added the vibration dampener to manage the vibration issues others have raised. Have the same thing on my K1600GTL using the RAM ball mount Quad Lock just introduced. That works just as well.

b7b19b9c56da799489073269c4585f24.jpg

8520eac98f536bd2f5d51edde156719c.jpg

7d5ef4e1b7e1289676827206ba055b04.jpg
 
I have Quad Lock bicycle handlebar/stem mount zip tied to the CB handlebar in the middle between the clamps, like in the photo above. It's super sturdy. Hasn't moved in three years. I have the universal adapter fastened to the back of my phone case (Otterbox). Again, super sturdy. I've ridden with that combo for thousands of miles and never had a problem. I use cheap Motorola android phones. The only thing I have to do is lock the screen orientation because the map sometimes switches portrait/landscape when I turn corners.
 
Thread starter
I have already ordered it with a shock absorber; thanks to your advice. better vertical than horizontal? to see google maps (?) ... I think it will be a better solution.
 
HigginsNYC_imp said:
Be aware.!

And a bit careful. I love the quad lock system, and have use it for my iPhone for years. BUT - when I upgraded to the iPhone 11 Pro... things went badly. When mounted to the handlebar, the vibration from the bike (I'm on a 2013 CB1100) wrecked the camera focusing stabilizer motors on the new phones (iPhone 8 and newer). I ate through 3 phones in 2 weeks, running the camera each time (all covered by Apple, thankfully) before I found a solution I could live with.

Rubber bits on the bar first didn't help. Some add-on dampening set ups were way to bulky and ridiculous. So - I chose to get it off the bar altogether and created a mounting bracket that actually tied into the Speedo Cluster/Instuments - so that the quad lock mount is actually attached to the existing dampening rubber mounts that hold the instrument panel. Seems complicated, but actually simple (although a little work to install).

Just a warning. I can post pics if/when anyone is keen on it.

-Mike
We love pics around here.
 
Just ordered my Quad Lock with the 1" ball mount to replace my Ram X Mount which has seen better days. Also ordered the vibration dampener. The case is back-ordered for the iPhone 12 Pro Max which I just purchased, but I tend to carry my phone in my jacket pocket at this time of year so it's not a big deal to wait.
 
Thread starter
the truth is that I did not have much faith ... but I admit that it is a great support (and discreet). the horizontal option is better than the vertical one, since it does not interfere with the frame (I carry an iPhone 11 Pro Max; same size as yours); and the shock absorber makes the iPhone barely move; and it will prevent the stabilizer from breaking (I hadn't thought about it ..). for travel power I will opt for an external battery purchased at Amazon; since I do not see the charging point under the seat operating; for the cable to the iPhone should go on top of the reservoir. I painted the central screw in spray black vinyl and ordered the black lever; to remove the blue ...
 
I mounted a double usb port on my bars and I just plug my phone into it. It's cheaper and more effective than the waterproof wireless charger for Quad-Lock -- I just unplug the phone if it starts to rain. I've always used my Scenic app in vertical (portrait) mode, but I'm going to try the horizontal (landscape) mode with the Quad-Lock.
 
Thread starter
I use SYGIC, fully licensed; since it has the maps on the iPhone downloaded ... and I don't depend on the 4G connection .. I was thinking of mounting the 12 v honda kit; in place under the seat. where did you put the USB connection; What are you wearing ??? I see the handlebar very tight to put it ... I imagine it holds the rain .. what brand is it ???? ..
 
Back
Top