Q: What has 8 cylinders and 253HP?

I contemplated the XR a while back as it is a proper all round powerful bike. However I thought it might be a bit vanilla after a while and that I’d get bored of it. The CB looks amazing in that picture and is head and shoulders above the XR for old skool retro style.
 
Ah yes, I also got to sample BMW's latest and greatest loaner bikes, every time mine went in for warranty work. I almost miss it actually...

"Let's see, last time you were in, we gave you an F800GS. We could do that one again, or, hey, you haven't had the scooter yet. Want to take the scooter?"

"Ooh, that sounds fun. Sure, give me the scooter this time!"
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Ah yes, I also got to sample BMW's latest and greatest loaner bikes, every time mine went in for warranty work. I almost miss it actually...

"Let's see, last time you were in, we gave you an F800GS. We could do that one again, or, hey, you haven't had the scooter yet. Want to take the scooter?"

"Ooh, that sounds fun. Sure, give me the scooter this time!"
Yes, I seem to be a bit of a regular visitor. My bike is 7 months old and it has done almost 10,000 miles. I've owned it from new.

So far (other than the regular services at 600 and 6000 miles), I have had:

- A new fuel pump - replaced as a precaution due to an emissions warning.
- Two replacement GPS (Nav VI) units. Both failed with the same issue.
- And now, they are replacing the exhaust headers due to a faulty exhaust valve. Again, I think the valve is only an emissions thing and stupidly it is not designed to be replaced so it's a whole new header set.

The customer service is great but I do feel like some sort of guinea pig.
 
I've decided that I can still get my BMW fix with an occasional ride, when our west-coast rental service needs a GS moved from one location to another.
 
Along those lines I could have said 'My Fiesta and both of my motorcycles'.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Richard, GS 850 or GS 1250?
One of my pals at work part exchanged his GS1250 for a fully loaded GS 850 with Akropovic muffler. His local dealer did him a great deal.

He loves the lighter weight of the 850 and doesn't notice the power difference on everyday riding as he never really bought the 1250 for top speed anyway.

He and his wife can still easily two up on it and he has another biking holiday booked up already.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Richard, GS 850 or GS 1250?
Mine is the 1250. I previously owned a GS750 for a short while. The 1250 is a swiss-army-knife kind of bike. It does everything I need and although there are faster, prettier, better-handling, more exciting bikes, this one just suits my simple needs by providing a comfortable and safe way of exploring the wonderful countryside we have in the North of England...



[url=https://postimg.cc/kVPDfcHg]
 
Thread starter
Bheezy27403_imp said:
Sign me up for that road!!!
It's the Wrynose Pass in Cumbria, England. I rode it last year, along with the Hardknott Pass. They are both pretty steep, with severe hairpins, a gnarly road surface and only wide enough for a single vehicle. They are also quite popular with car drivers, some of whom don't realise that most motorcycles don't have reverse gears!

Anyway, it's a challenge but I enjoyed it - even if the GS is perhaps not the ideal bike for an environment where are CRF250L would be perfect.

Couple of better pictures (not mine):

7b56bd1b3682c6aff7240bb14164abfa.jpg


031ed2d99aeb4229952711463a4e5840.jpg
 
Back
Top