purchase inspection...

crutch_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Going to purchase my 2014 cb1100 tomorrow. Will leave it with them for a few day to install some accessories.
Question: What do I need to check when picking up a new bike from the dealer?
thanks
crutch
 
I assume you're buying it new from the Honda dealer? With a new bike, I've never really checked anything other than to be sure there were no scratches. If you find anything that they failed to do that you requested (like install an accessory that didn't arrive on time), make sure you get a 'We Owe' form done. Because once you've left the place, without something in writing, you could be SOL for sure. Good luck with your new CB!
 
Ask them to show you how to take the seat off.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ask them to show you how to take the seat off.
+1

Oh yeah, get them to show you how to adjust the brake and clutch levers if you don't know how.
 
Crutch,

Congrats on the new bike. After you have inspected the bike for damage bring a tire pressure gauge and check. I have had bikes on delivery come through with 20lbs sometimes 40 in the front. Nothing worse than over inflation on new rubber. Not to insult the dealer wait till they leave.

36 front
42 back :thumbsup:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Ask them to show you how to take the seat off.
+1

Oh yeah, get them to show you how to adjust the brake and clutch levers if you don't know how.
Further to popgun's good point...have them adjust the shifter linkage to suit your foot and ankle mobility. I usually find the shifter is set pretty low and not easy operate, especially if you are coming from a cruiser, or if you have large feet and/or poor ankle mobility.

Again, watch the process for future reference.

You need to be able to operate the bike safely and comfortably on the trip home!
 
Congrats on the new bike. Little I can add here as other members have covered it well. I was fortunate that my dealer went over the bike with me, step by step with the check list. I still forgot how to remove the seat however.
 
My chain was massively loose from the dealer, not to the point of being unsafe, but it had ~3" of play. Don't know if that's one lazy dealer or of that isn't part of a normal PDI. Could be worth a check/mention.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
Ask them to show you how to take the seat off.
+1

Oh yeah, get them to show you how to adjust the brake and clutch levers if you don't know how.
Further to popgun's good point...have them adjust the shifter linkage to suit your foot and ankle mobility. I usually find the shifter is set pretty low and not easy operate, especially if you are coming from a cruiser, or if you have large feet and/or poor ankle mobility.

Again, watch the process for future reference.

You need to be able to operate the bike safely and comfortably on the trip home!
Further to popgun's good point...have them adjust the shifter linkage to suit your foot and ankle mobility. I usually find the shifter is set pretty low and not easy operate, especially if you are coming from a cruiser, or if you have large feet and/or poor ankle mobility.

Again, watch the process for future reference.

You need to be able to operate the bike safely and comfortably on the trip home!
+1, the shifter on my bike was set way too low for me. The rear brake is adjustable too and I may lower that a bit.
 
My throttle was a little looser than I like. Had lots of play. I adjusted it when I got home. Brake and clutch levers were uneven so I adjusted them too. Good to check everything after first couple rides as well to make sure nothing loosens up also.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
 
Tool kit. :excited:
Oil in engine - show me
Headlight adjusted
Mirrors good?
Tire pressure
Yeah, seat removal - it's not intuitive
 
4 Paws_imp said:
Tool kit. :excited:
Oil in engine - show me
Headlight adjusted
Mirrors good?
Tire pressure
Yeah, seat removal - it's not intuitive
:rofl: That's a good one!
 
Crutch, while at the dealer ask them if anybody ever asked to have the oil cooler removed and if they did was the bike ever brought back for service. Just curious : )
 
Get them to show you the owner's manual.
 
Back
Top