Puig Windscreen compatibility question

dsinned_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I am thinking about getting the Puig 4620N Black Naked Universal Windshield for my bike. However, one online review I read said fitment is too tight around the instruments pods due to changes Honda made to the 2014 CB1100 design. I know the instrument panel is different, which I really like, especially the gear position indicator, but does anyone know if compatibility with this low cost, Puig w/s has been compromised?
 
I have the 4620h installed on my 14 DLX. There is no interference with the clocks (instruments). There is about a 1/2 inch gap between the windscreen and clocks on my bike. If yours should touch the clocks, it comes with a couple of felt pads that you can put between the clocks and the screen.
 
I have one (4620H) I'll sell you at a very reasonable price. Easy to install. Comes with all the mounting hardware. No scratches or scuffs on shield that I can see. PM me.
 
I bought one from a member here; was not real happy (turns out my jacket was to blame for most of my problems - who knew!) with it. Went with several other choices; finally settled on the Comet 1. It had two foam discs for the pods to rub against,

It's now on my Griso, I'm rather liking it for now. :D
 
BTW, that Puig Carbon Vision Semi-Fairing is a good looking piece of kit. I've not seen that one before . . . .

pwh421_imp said:
since we are on the topic.. Would the Puig 1516C Carbon Vision Semi-Fairing Windshield fit?
 
Thread starter
I was also looking at Piug's CF Vision Semi-Fairing yesterday. There is a "V" shaped add on center section sold separately. The combined price for both without CF is around $70 (on Amazon). Not too costly and it does look good; just not big enough to provide much protection.

I decided to order the taller Piug black naked w/s mainly because it was one of the least expensive ($43 on Amazon) and secondarily because it should match my all black bike fairly well. Also, it appears to be easy to "bolt on" and just as easy to remove. It also fits other bikes, like the Triumph Bonneville T100, which I own as well.

I hope it provides some degree of "shading" over the LCD center section of the instruments because at high Noon, the Sun reflects so much on that area, it makes it hard to see.
 
If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the CB1100 have a 7" headlight? The Puig 1516 CF Vision Semi-Fairing (as on Amazon), says it 'fits' an 8" round headlight... Comments or confirmation? (It does look pretty neat though)
 
Thread starter
Actually Rick, its just a tad over 8" in diameter at its widest; slightly <8" at the very front of the chrome bezel. I measured mine to be sure.
 
The fittings I had on my 2002 CB-750 Nighthawk were just about perfect - for my type/style of riding, including jaunts into the City (San Francisco), Hwy-1 PCH, Skyline, etc., . I know they won't be exactly the same as my '02 but I'd be looking at similar to:
- Quarter Fairing (the 'old school' Shoei Fairing was a perfect balance)
- Corbin Gunfighter & Lady
- Givi 22N Panniers (have to find/figure out a mount)
- I used black silicone 'O' rings stacked on the stock grips to widen the grip and reduce some buzz
That's about it.
 
Thread starter
BAR said, "I used black silicone 'O' rings stacked on the stock grips to widen the grip and reduce some buzz
That's about it."

That's one of my favorite mods too, except I added them around the inner groove between the throttle grip circumference and the other side to create enough "resistance" so as to have a poor man's cruise control. Lol
 
Thread starter
Just finished installing my new Puig naked black universal windscreen (4620N). This was in addition to installing a black front fender I purchased from a fellow member on this forum (thanks again Jonathan).

First of all, the "N" model Puig windscreen is all black and opaque, which matches my all black bike very well. This windscreen is selling incredibly cheap, but is still of acceptable quality and installs without too much difficulty in about an hour (taking my time).

It is compatible with the 2014 CB1100's instrument panel, but there is definitely interference when mounted flush with the front of the bike's headlight bezel. Canting it forward, avoids this interference, however that makes it look too upright and rather odd.

Puig's mounting brackets on each side slip over the stock headlight mounting ear bolts. This allows the windscreen to "swivel" forward to avoid interference with the instrument pods. However, the windscreen is made of flexible acrylic plastic, so it can be swiveled backwards as well. This simply stretches the back of the windscreen outward as it rubs up against the sides of the pods. To prevent damage and a possibility of rattling sounds, the windscreen comes with two 1"D round stick-on cushions to place on the sides of the pods where there is physical contact.

Admittedly, the shape of the windscreen in this area should be wider to avoid the interference in the first place, but this is a "universal" product so it has to fit on other makes and models of motorcycles as-is.

For the ultra low cost, the benefits outweigh any apparent issues with installing this windscreen, and it does look like it belongs on a naked style bike. It looks very nice on the CB1100.

I haven't tried it out yet on the road, but for the low cost and good looks, I'm inclined to forgive any shortcomings with actual air stream, wind deflection, helmet buffeting at high speeds and/or things of that sort. It's just a cheap little air foil that integrates well and does not take away anything from the bike's natural "naked" looks.
 
Thread starter
BAR, I've been sick all week so getting the bike out for a few photos of my new black fender and windscreen will have to wait a few days. I will try to take a few in my garage and post later today, but they may not turn out as well.
 
That looks really nice. With that black fender, the black windscreen, blacked-out legs, I'm thinking a pair of gaiters would finish that front end!
 
Back
Top