Protective Gear? Well think about this.

The scenes in the video are enough to make someone consider the possible consequences of pushing limits on public roads. There are many solid objects on the roadsides. Seems the chance of serious injury is far greater on a public road than on a proper race track regardless the quality of safety gear worn.
 
great vid. Seeing someone slide into one of those benches with the concrete sides made me wince badly
 
I can recommend FIRSTGEAR padded coat and pants. Both come with pads at the joints and hips. The paints are actual pants rather than pullovers. They breath but are waterproof. I wear FLY zip up calf length riding boots also waterproof but breathable. The pants and jacket have zippered vents front and back. The jacket and pants have liners that zip out for hot weather use. I also always have armored gloves with padded knuckles.

I've not had an accident but did lay it down while stopped at an intersection where I learned that a road that angles down 25 degrees on the left will allow the bike to lean too far when I put my leg down at a stop, too far to keep her from going over and lying down. I was also still a bit weak from my surgery that previous August.

The point is those pants have a melted spot, you don't notice it when looking, on the leg where the hot engine contacted my leg while I tried to keep her from laying down. I did not feel a thing but can imagine the melted flesh burn and the pain if I had been wearing jeans or even sorts. I bought these at my Honda Dealer, where I bought my bike, so I could try on everything including the helmet. The dealer gave me a great discount and it was the best investment I ever made. I also like to invest in my dealer relationship just as he invests in the customer relationship.
 
The only time I ever dropped a motorcycle I made the same mistake as NightRider.....

I didn't lean up hill when I stopped on a slant....when I tried to put my foot down on the down hill side, the weight and momentum was too much to stop and down she went....

that was over 40 years ago on a CB350, but I remember it like it was yesterday, the brain is funny like that...don't think a 40 year old computer could do that ;-)

Lesson learned I guess.
 
That was a good add campaign that could do with a re run, thanks for posting it. The TAC run a bike awareness add campaign each spring and they can be confronting.

regards
 
Django, that's fantastic. I'm glad we no longer have the manual throttle. If I had to take my hand off the throttle to signal like Tom, it would end in tears.
 
That video is awesome. Such a cool trip back in time to 60s England. It sucks having to put those giant "L"s on your bike. We have the same thing here and they're colloquialy known as the "loser decal."
 
Guys, there IS another item of protection that is designed to save lives other than a helmet, and I wish it would catch on more in the motorcycling community as it would most certainly save many lives - an airbag vest/jacket.

It protects your neck and vital organs by enveloping your entire upper torso in a cushion of air in the case of ejection from the motorcycle. I have "field tested" one and it saved my tush. They can get pretty expensive but there are some more affordable options out there.
 
Proper gear is a no brainer, proper riding is just as important. Take absolutely no risks on the streets. Save the racing for the track. Show the utmost respect to blind curves. We have it tough enough out there.
 
It's pretty obvious through that video that observant rider rode a Matchless while the hooligan friend rode a Triumph. Don't be a hooligan.
 
Back
Top