Protection from the waist down

CIP57_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The best protection is leather, jean,mesh and all other products will move once you hit the ground.

Dainese Alien Pants are the most comfortable street leather I have ever worn. They also come in a short for those of us with a 29"-30" inseam. They can be worn inside or outside of your favorite boots.

I returned four pants ( Revzilla ) before buying these a few years ago. If you get uncomfortable in the saddle after 1-2 hours these will double your comfort time. There are no seams where your butt meets the seat and are all day comfort. They are breathable and much more cooler than a pair of kevlar jeans. They do not get damp on those hot humid days.

These have come down in price $350ish if you can find them in your size. Theses will last for years without stretching, never need to be washed, just wipe them down with a damp cloth. There lined with a soft material, put on a pair of underwear and slide in and your good to go.

Buy a pair and try them on, you can return them for a full refund, but you won't, there's no break-in time there comfortable as soon as you put them on:thumbsup:


Dainese Alien Pants - webBikeWorld
 
At that price, I don't think they'll ever become popular, and I am less price-sensitive than most. I have a leather jacket and leather pants (Bild) that were about $300 total.
 
Thread starter
postoak_imp said:
At that price, I don't think they'll ever become popular, and I am less price-sensitive than most. I have a leather jacket and leather pants (Bild) that were about $300 total.
I agree, there is a price point people are comfortable with, If you want function and fit it cost a bit more.
 
I honestly don't see too many people wearing these while riding on a CB1100. Maybe if they were on a full super sport or track bike. I think the Kevlar jeans are more popular but yes they are heavy and do get hot but much more stylish

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
I'd wear them. I'd even pay the $300. Problem is that despite size charts to the contrary, Dianese gear does not fit me. They run small in the waist and the length. Their jackets are worse. High quality and good looking gear, though, and maybe if I lost a little weight...but how do I lose height?
 
I'm still wearing an 11-year old pair of BMW StreetGuard II pants, and they're holding up well. They were $550. Completely waterproof (Gore-Tex), fully armored, insulated, nicely tailored, and extremely comfortable. My previous AGV leather pants (and Hein-Gericke leather jacket) were great and stylish, but I get caught in too many rainstorms in the Rockies and don't like dealing with rain gear. Now, with my Klim Gore-Tex jacket and Sidi Gore-Tex boots, I'm good to go in any weather.
 
I have both a Dainese jacket and pants. The model is Cruiser. They are targeted for less of a sportbike look and fit, hence the cruiser name. They have ventilation that you can zip open and close, as well as 2 removable liners- a water proof one and a cold weather liner.


Pants video-

Jacket video-
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I'd wear them. I'd even pay the $300. Problem is that despite size charts to the contrary, Dianese gear does not fit me. They run small in the waist and the length. Their jackets are worse. High quality and good looking gear, though, and maybe if I lost a little weight...but how do I lose height?
I've been giving this a bit of thought during the day. If the problem is the height to weight ratio and Dainese make gear that would fit a taller MTC with the same sized waist, you could try an old-fashioned rack to stretch you out into the next size. :cool:

Don't mention it. :P
 
postoak_imp said:
At that price, I don't think they'll ever become popular, and I am less price-sensitive than most. I have a leather jacket and leather pants (Bild) that were about $300 total.
Everyone has their breaking point, but personally, I've never seen a jacket or pants that would actually protect your person in an impact or slide at 60+mph that cost less than about $400 each.

Currently, I wear the Dainese D-Explorer Jacket, and if I'm on a motorcycle trip, I also have the matching pants. I don't wear the pants on the commute. I should, but the changing in the morning/evening and storage during the day are too much of a daily burden.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
I'd wear them. I'd even pay the $300. Problem is that despite size charts to the contrary, Dianese gear does not fit me. They run small in the waist and the length. Their jackets are worse. High quality and good looking gear, though, and maybe if I lost a little weight...but how do I lose height?
I've been giving this a bit of thought during the day. If the problem is the height to weight ratio and Dainese make gear that would fit a taller MTC with the same sized waist, you could try an old-fashioned rack to stretch you out into the next size. :cool:

Don't mention it. :P
I've been giving this a bit of thought during the day. If the problem is the height to weight ratio and Dainese make gear that would fit a taller MTC with the same sized waist, you could try an old-fashioned rack to stretch you out into the next size. :cool:

Don't mention it. :P
I've seen those things. The last thing I need is to have something strapped around my neck in close proximity to my wife. She's still mad that I was late for dinner after riding Route66 with Paul last Saturday.
 
It's easy enough to find bargain buys on protective gear. Finding quality gear for reasonable prices can be a bigger challenge. Compared to a number of other options, that price seems reasonable to me. If I'm going to wear leather gear, I'd prefer all leather, but that seems like a decent compromise.
 
Guth_imp said:
It's easy enough to find bargain buys on protective gear. Finding quality gear for reasonable prices can be a bigger challenge. Compared to a number of other options, that price seems reasonable to me. If I'm going to wear leather gear, I'd prefer all leather, but that seems like a decent compromise.
For online shopping it is usually just a matter of digging through the search engines comparing prices- start with the brand and model name of an item, then try again with the model #, and then the SKC.. you will be amazed that sometimes you can find something with a number that doesn't show up with the name.

Once I have weeded out the high priced places, I then narrow it down based on any available coupon codes and shipping costs. For finding coupon codes, type the name of the retailer into the search engine along with the words- code + forum. Adding the word forum to search queries is helpful for all sorts of research. Find actual people talking about actual stuff. Less BS to wade through.

Don't forget to use places like Ebates (who just recently took over Fatwallet's cash back program) for a few extra bucks saved.

Here are examples of my recent gear purchases, all in the last 6 weeks-

New Joe Rocket leather jacket for my wife- sells everywhere online normally for $270+, cost me $141 shipped to my door after tax.

On the Dainese Cruiser pants and jacket I mentioned above, the best price was on Ebay from a seller in Germany. The pants are $580 on Revzilla, I paid $395 shipped, the jacket is $900 on Revzilla, I paid $544 shipped. I bought them at separate times (was impressed by the pants so bought the jacket).

Expensive? Yes. Will I care about the money if I crash? Nope. I'd rather be as protected as I can be- and with these pants and jacket, I am protected from the rain and cold as well. Very versatile.


Guth_imp said:
It's easy enough to find bargain buys on protective gear. Finding quality gear for reasonable prices can be a bigger challenge. Compared to a number of other options, that price seems reasonable to me. If I'm going to wear leather gear, I'd prefer all leather, but that seems like a decent compromise.
I initially went into my gear shopping with the same mindset. My Fieldsheer jacket is all leather. But after looking at a lot of different modern jackets and pants, going to the stores trying stuff on and inspecting- I can see where the combination of materials has benefit for comfort- breath-ability, stretch-ability.
 
I have 2 pairs of Draggin jeans, which are reasonably priced, one of which already saved my skin (literally) once. I just wish they were available with armor.
 
For me, I suit up with FirstGear over pants and jacket. Both pieces have body armour where you need them if you should go down. They also have removable water- proof liners as well. They are comfy and have a tailored look too. Russ
 
I finally ponied up for some riding jeans with more protection than the Levi's I usually wear. I went with the Bull-it SR6 jeans. The claim is that these jeans provide 6.26 seconds of abrasion resistance as compared to 5.8 seconds provided by 1.4mm cowhide. Instead of Kevlar, they use a material called Covec. In the Revzilla video review, they describe the difference between Kevlar and Covec as Covec having greater abrasion resistance but a lower melting point. The thought (hope) is that you won't be sliding long enough to reach the peak temperatures required to actually melt the Covec material.

They're on the way and I'll report back after I have a chance to ride with them. I didn't order the optional knee and hip armor because I wanted to make sure they fit first. It's hard for me to find pants that fit properly.

I went with the Sidewinder version of the jeans which, unfortunately, are described as slim fit. Something I've never been accused of. I went a size up in hopes they won't be too snug.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bull-it-sr6-sidewinder-jeans

They do make a version described as regular fit which I will try if the Sidewinder doesn't work out. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bull-it-sr6-jeans
 
Never personally tested them yet but, I have 3 pr. of Draggin' Jeans I've had for 15 years. Well worth the $$ imo. Plus 2 pr. of the lighter gauge kevlar lined jeans from Cycle Gear. Had them 2 or 3 years. Like 'em.
Have seen the results though, of others going down in regular jeans, Draggin' and leather. Leather is definitely best. Dragon's have worked well.
 
Best protection from the waist down: An Aerostich suit. It keeps you dry and warm and protects you from the waist up, too. :) And because I can't afford Alpinestars.
 
Back
Top