Progressive glasses and riding

Tom_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi Everyone,

I started noticing real vision trouble last year. On long rides toward the end of the day with the sun low, I started seeing double pretty often. Thought I'd have to give up riding. This only happens on my bike and it doesn't always happen. Why not, I cannot say. I was very relieved recently when it started happening again and I noticed it's not all my aging's fault. I happen to block the bottom part of my glasses (the seeing near part) while making adjustments and things cleared up 100%. I tried blocking my lower view with my hand over the screen on my helmet and that worked too. I was initially skeptical about progressives. I can read pretty well without any glasses. I did not want progressive sunglasses but the eye man talked me into it. Now I'm looking to try a pair of glasses with just my main distance prescription for riding.

Anyone else have a similar experience and solution?
 
For some it takes a while to get used to progressive lenses. Some never really get used to them. I never really had an issue with them except for when i first got them and tried walking down stairs, it kind of freaked me out. But I've been wearing them for years now and have come to realize sometimes you have to move your head to get that "sweet spot" and sometimes it's not that important.
 
Thread starter
KiowaEagle_imp said:
For some it takes a while to get used to progressive lenses. Some never really get used to them. I never really had an issue with them except for when i first got them and tried walking down stairs, it kind of freaked me out. But I've been wearing them for years now and have come to realize sometimes you have to move your head to get that "sweet spot" and sometimes it's not that important.
Finding that sweet spot wile riding has be craning my neck and or moving my glasses way up or down my nose. I just don't need the bottom half enough to warrant the pain and danger.
 
I got my first pair of glasses at age 43 or 44 (I'll be 53 in a few months), and I went straight to progressives because my eyes don't focus anymore. I used to be able to manually focus any anything near of far, but I just can't anymore. It's like either I forgot how to use those muscles, or they are paralyzed now.
I haven't had any issues with my progressive lenses. They allow me to see the gauges on the bike or in whatever vehicle I'm driving as well as wee the road and signage clearly.
If you are having issues with them, tell your optometrist about it and see what, if anything, can be done about it.
 
Tom_imp said:
Hi Everyone,

I started noticing real vision trouble last year. On long rides toward the end of the day with the sun low, I started seeing double pretty often. Thought I'd have to give up riding. This only happens on my bike and it doesn't always happen. Why not, I cannot say. I was very relieved recently when it started happening again and I noticed it's not all my aging's fault. I happen to block the bottom part of my glasses (the seeing near part) while making adjustments and things cleared up 100%. I tried blocking my lower view with my hand over the screen on my helmet and that worked too. I was initially skeptical about progressives. I can read pretty well without any glasses. I did not want progressive sunglasses but the eye man talked me into it. Now I'm looking to try a pair of glasses with just my main distance prescription for riding.

Anyone else have a similar experience and solution?
I could not adjust to progressives while riding. It mostly had to do with the physical relationship between my helmet, neck and eye glass frames position on the nose. I determined it was unsafe for me and went to fixed focal when riding. I have not looked back and have been distracted since by the glasses.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Tom_imp said:
Hi Everyone,

I started noticing real vision trouble last year. On long rides toward the end of the day with the sun low, I started seeing double pretty often. Thought I'd have to give up riding. This only happens on my bike and it doesn't always happen. Why not, I cannot say. I was very relieved recently when it started happening again and I noticed it's not all my aging's fault. I happen to block the bottom part of my glasses (the seeing near part) while making adjustments and things cleared up 100%. I tried blocking my lower view with my hand over the screen on my helmet and that worked too. I was initially skeptical about progressives. I can read pretty well without any glasses. I did not want progressive sunglasses but the eye man talked me into it. Now I'm looking to try a pair of glasses with just my main distance prescription for riding.

Anyone else have a similar experience and solution?
I could not adjust to progressives while riding. It mostly had to do with the physical relationship between my helmet, neck and eye glass frames position on the nose. I determined it was unsafe for me and went to fixed focal when riding. I have not looked back and have been distracted since by the glasses.
I could not adjust to progressives while riding. It mostly had to do with the physical relationship between my helmet, neck and eye glass frames position on the nose. I determined it was unsafe for me and went to fixed focal when riding. I have not looked back and have been distracted since by the glasses.
This is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks
 
I could not get used to progressives so just stick with bi-focals.
 
I could not get used to regular bifocals, so I have been wearing progressive for about 30 years. Been like having regular eyes again. I'm so used to them I sometimes get in the shower or go to bed with them on.
 
On the subject of vision and riding - I flunked the vision test at the ADOT (DMV) the other day. Fortunately, my license is good until July, so I got to my optometrist and got a new prescription, which had better do the trick because I just hate driving/riding without a license.
 
Spectacles? Nah. People call me Mr Magoo. Don’t know why.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I could not get used to regular bifocals, so I have been wearing progressive for about 30 years. Been like having regular eyes again. I'm so used to them I sometimes get in the shower or go to bed with them on.
That is good Ferret. I wanted the same success, but could not. I am quite dependent to having a wide peripheral and for me the progressives were interfering at the "corner points" of my vision window.

Ah well, at least I tried for a few months.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I could not get used to regular bifocals, so I have been wearing progressive for about 30 years. Been like having regular eyes again. I'm so used to them I sometimes get in the shower or go to bed with them on.
That is good Ferret. I wanted the same success, but could not. I am quite dependent to having a wide peripheral and for me the progressives were interfering at the "corner points" of my vision window.

Ah well, at least I tried for a few months.
That is good Ferret. I wanted the same success, but could not. I am quite dependent to having a wide peripheral and for me the progressives were interfering at the "corner points" of my vision window.

Ah well, at least I tried for a few months.
I think you just learn to more or less point your nose where you want to look.
 
I went the route of progressives in a pair of self darkening motorcycling glasses , worked great . Got them thru Sport optics . Now after cateract surgery went back to self darkening biker shades.
 
I never wore glasses until some years ago and I amassed quite a collection of "readers", While in the drug store trying them out, I noted that with just number 1's, my distance vision got sharper and clearer, but number 3's worked for reading and computer use. I did that for a couple of years, then it dawned on me that I should just get bifocals, the top part number 1 and the bottom part number 3. I had Kaiser then, and they confirmed it. They made up a pair in aviator style with photochromic lenses, and I use them while riding. The only thing I don't like about them is their shape looks and feels great, but while riding, they don't block the wind very well. I like to raise the visor whenever I can. I used to wear dark safety glasses while riding, the kind that wrap round your skull and keep the wind out of your eyes, but they had no magnification, so I'm caught betwixt and between. WalMart says they can make me a set of glasses pretty cheap and grind any lens strength into them I want. I may take them up on that.
 
I started to wear progressive glasses two years ago just for my bike, I was having trouble reading the Sat Nav. I have to say I don't get on with them, at the lights/junctions as my view wanders they give me a drunk sort of vision as I switch in/out of the progressive zone. At steady speed and just looking forward they are fine but I am only looking through the normal lens then which I can do with regular glasses. I am due a visit for my eye test and will be giving up on them for my next set of glasses.
 
Tev62_imp said:
I started to wear progressive glasses two years ago just for my bike, I was having trouble reading the Sat Nav. I have to say I don't get on with them, at the lights/junctions as my view wanders they give me a drunk sort of vision as I switch in/out of the progressive zone. At steady speed and just looking forward they are fine but I am only looking through the normal lens then which I can do with regular glasses. I am due a visit for my eye test and will be giving up on them for my next set of glasses.
You and I Tev share a similar experience.
 
I wear progressive lenses in my glasses (interestingly, the only thing about me that would be considered "progressive" lol), but my contacts are not multi-focal and I ride exclusively with contacts. I have no problem reading my gauges or my phone/nav with my contacts so I'd recommend you get single-focused lenses for your riding glasses.
 
My eye DR. recommended bi-focals as the progressive lens wouldn't give me clear enough peripheral vision. I only use them on the bike, or if I have to drive at night. During the day I wear contacts and although I ride a moto to work most days, it is only 6 miles and 7 roundabouts one way, so not far enough to begin affecting the contacts (wind, etc.). I spend a significant amount of moto time long distance, so the glasses a must for that. I've had no trouble utilizing the bi-focal blocks for reading the gauges, gps, phone, etc.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I wear progressive lenses in my glasses (interestingly, the only thing about me that would be considered "progressive" lol), but my contacts are not multi-focal and I ride exclusively with contacts. I have no problem reading my gauges or my phone/nav with my contacts so I'd recommend you get single-focused lenses for your riding glasses.
I would hope not :D Can you imagine them rotating around as you drive along!
 
Back
Top