Product Testing - the hard way

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
ATGATT saved my bacon today, that and this Babyface Slider:

59f7ebb0631ceb91d5a91d466738b0d2.jpg


It did a remarkable job of minimizing bike damage when I low sided today.

I was on my NC700 (not the CB thank God!!!) taking a left hand turn on a remote, poorly maintained back road at around 50 mph when suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, I lost the front big time. I automatically tried to correct and remember a couple of near tank slappers and then being dragged by my foot which was caught under the right side of the bike for about 60-70 feet.

I was very lucky I didn't high side, ending up sliding right side down on a left turn.

The bike suffered minimal damage, but I'll be shopping for a new helmet, jacket and gloves.

3ba3f3ebb06f84c845d9b5ee80f1e166.jpg


39393b6969d0d9a9a381d32c8bf98d9e.jpg


My only injuries is a scraped right knee, sore right foot, and a little road rash on my hand (summer gloves).

I freaked out when the bike wouldn't start (dead ignition) but in the course of getting the bike out of 6th gear and back into neutral, whatever sensor that had kept me from starting reset itself.

I went back to the apex of the turn where I'd lost it and found the culprit. Apparently someone had dumped some oil on the road and had tried to cover it with some sand. I probably should have seen it but the road itself was a multi-colored patchwork quilt of repairs and that spot didn't catch my attention - until it was too late.

Darn glad I wasn't on the CB. That would have been expensive. :D

Remember - ATGATT is not merely a slogan.
 
Shows the importance of proper gear. Glad you were not seriously hurt. Will insurance cover your damaged jacket? I've heard some policies will.
 
Glad you're OK, mate. Could have been very nasty.
 
Glad you weren't hurt worse than that and I feel your pain. The insurance should cover your gear and whatever damage to the bike beyond the deductible. Also I would go get yourself checked out just to be on the safe side as you don't want any medical problems creeping up on you a week later.
 
Well, that wasn't what I wanted to read first thread in the morning, but super glad the damage was mainly to equipment and not to you CB4ME. Bummer though about the whole deal. Man that slider got ate up didn't it.

On most modern bikes the tip over switch needs to be reactivated with the ignition. ignition off, ignition on and it should restart.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. I'm sore but otherwise ok. I went cheap on insurance (pay me now or pay me later? me pay latter.) I've ordered a set of side cowls to cover the scratches on my fairing and a replacement slider from Mr. T. I'll probably get a new front and rear brake lever, bar ends - still usable but scratched up pretty good.

I'm looking at the HJC IS-17 with internal sun visor as a replacement helmet. Does anyone have any feedback? (haven't done a search here yet).
 
I know the CL-17 is a great helmet, way better than it's price would indicate. The IS should be similar only with the internal sun screen, only it will have a larger shell than the CL17 to accommodate the sun screen.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I know the CL-17 is a great helmet, way better than it's price would indicate. The IS should be similar only with the internal sun screen, only it will have a larger shell than the CL17 to accommodate the sun screen.
Thanks Ferret. I did some more research and purchased the HJC IS-Max in white.
 
A few summers ago, I was turning left entering an intersection after the light turned green and was on the throttle fairly hard when I hit a very large -- like 1/3 the size of a car --patch of fresh oil (the motor type, not the tar type they use to seal the roads). I saw it, but thought it was water. It didn't occur to me that there would be a pool of oil that large on the road. The bike I was on had traction control, but I came very, very close to going down. Even with the TC (remember, I was pretty hard on the throttle and cornering), the tail swung out wildly. I'm still not sure if the TC bailed me out at the last second or if letting off the throttle arrested the skid, or if it was a combination of both, but let's just say the rest of the day I was shadowed by a feeling of relief, not to mention feeling a little humbled by the experience.

In any event, that really sucks that you hit that patch of oil. It sounds like someone tried to sop the oil up some with the sand, but the sand was probably as big a contributor to your fall as the oil. Could happen to anyone unfortunately. This is definitely one you should look at in a 'the glass is half-full' sense. Minor damage to you, minor damage to the bike. Could've been a lot worse. Glad you're ok!
 
The great news is you're OK. The bike and gear can be repaired & replaced. We never know what hazards we may have to deal with while riding. Sounds like you did a remarkable job! Mend up and get back out there!
 
This hits close to home for me....the only time I've ever been down was when I hit some sand in the middle of an intersection in a city at slow speed.

The remarkable thing I remember was the quickness I went down...there was no time to correct or even think about saving it....I was just down in a blink of an eye.

For the longest time, I would only accelerate hard once I had the bike straightened back up from a lean...still probably not a bad idea...not sure if would make any difference, but I always thought if I hit something loose while in a straight line, I would have a better chance of saving it than while leaning.
 
Thread starter
offroadfx4_imp said:
This hits close to home for me....the only time I've ever been down was when I hit some sand in the middle of an intersection in a city at slow speed.

The remarkable thing I remember was the quickness I went down...there was no time to correct or even think about saving it....I was just down in a blink of an eye.

For the longest time, I would only accelerate hard once I had the bike straightened back up from a lean...still probably not a bad idea...not sure if would make any difference, but I always thought if I hit something loose while in a straight line, I would have a better chance of saving it than while leaning.
That's what spooked me. Boom! Huge loss of front end while banking in a corner - a split seconds of attempted control and the next thing I remember is being dragged down the road by the bike. No warning, no starting to slide. Good one second, down the next.

The frame slider keep damage down to $500 to restore the bike and riding gear allowed me to ride within a week.

Then the weather turned 90 degrees and muggy and I turned around and dropped off my warm weather jacket and continued in a tee shirt. :s

DOES ANYONE MAKE A HOT WEATHER JACKET? Does such a thing exist? Being miserably hot on a bike is not my idea of fun.
 
I'm of the thought that if one thinks a jacket is hot and uncomfortable in warm weather, try a cast. So if you see some goof wearing a black Dainese jacket in 90 degrees...that might be me. If I get too hot....I just go faster :)
 
Back
Top