Problem installing aftermarket exhaust

MrTim_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Like a few other members of this forum, I've purchased a Pipemasters four into four exhaust system. I installed the system today but unfortunately the first header pipe doesn't seem to be sealing correctly. When I start it up there is a massive racket and exhaust gas coming from the first exhaust port, the other three seem to be fine.
Has anyone had a similar problem? I purchased and installed new exhaust gaskets with the system. My initial feeling is that the pipe might not be lined up correctly and isn't sitting even on the gasket. Keep in mind that this is the first exhaust system I've attempted so it's more than likely some noob mistake.
While I'm at it, to anyone who purchased the Pipemasters system: In the instructions I received it recommends tightening the headers down to 7ft/lb, this seems suspiciously low and I suspect it was a typo in the instructions. I did tighten the headers down to that torque, started it and had the problem mentioned above, then torqued them to the OEM spec (16ft/lb) but the issue actually seemed worse.

Cheers in advance for any specific advice to the Pipemasters system or more general exhaust installation tips.
 
Not to be a smart A**, but you did fish out the old gasket right? I know another member had a problem with that.
 
With other exhaust I've been able to tighten the flang nuts first with the rest of the pipe loose so it will snug up square to the gasket. If those are long 1 piece pipes it could be tricky to do.
Sorry, I have no experience with the PipeMasters
 
This sounds like a gasket alignment issue that may have deformed the gasket itself.
I would buy a new gasket for that pipe then reinstall. I also would start at the recommend torque your new headers pipes may have a large expansion rate then after a few rides I would check the torque again. I had a similar problem years back installing a Vance Hines Pipe on my 750 NightHawk kept chasing the same deformed gasket when I replaced it all was fine.
Hope it all works out.

MrTim_imp said:
Like a few other members of this forum, I've purchased a Pipemasters four into four exhaust system. I installed the system today but unfortunately the first header pipe doesn't seem to be sealing correctly. When I start it up there is a massive racket and exhaust gas coming from the first exhaust port, the other three seem to be fine.
Has anyone had a similar problem? I purchased and installed new exhaust gaskets with the system. My initial feeling is that the pipe might not be lined up correctly and isn't sitting even on the gasket. Keep in mind that this is the first exhaust system I've attempted so it's more than likely some noob mistake.
While I'm at it, to anyone who purchased the Pipemasters system: In the instructions I received it recommends tightening the headers down to 7ft/lb, this seems suspiciously low and I suspect it was a typo in the instructions. I did tighten the headers down to that torque, started it and had the problem mentioned above, then torqued them to the OEM spec (16ft/lb) but the issue actually seemed worse.

Cheers in advance for any specific advice to the Pipemasters system or more general exhaust installation tips.
 
Thread starter
Cheers for the help guys.
I gave it a second attempt today and found that that particular gasket hadn't been pushed in properly.
 
Lol, usually when something is not correct on my bikes and I've been doing the wrenching, I find it to be operator error.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Hey, MrTim, any chance of seeing you, and your CB, at the PI WSBK? Cormanus and I will be there.

Cheers, and good luck with the Pipemasters.
 
Thread starter
Pterodactyl that's in February correct? I just checked my calendar and it looks like I'll probably be away at work. :(
If that changes I'll let you guys know, it would be great to get a bunch of CB' together.
 
MrTim, it's over the weekend of 17-19 October.
 
Good call stealth!

Congrats Mr Tim

How about a pic of the pipes installed?
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
MrTim, it's over the weekend of 17-19 October.
Ah well in that case then I will almost certainly be at work. Thanks for the invite though and I hope you blokes have a mad time.
Ack-CB11 I'm loving these pipes. They were pretty damn dear ($2200AUD) but they look how I think it should've from the factory, the sound is much meatier down low and as you rev it up the engine noise drowns it out so you're not just getting exhaust noise. It's worth pointing out that I did have some concern that the left hand side pipes wouldn't clear the chain but I've taken it out a couple of times and it hasn't been an issue. Also I'll be buying myself a paddock stand and a tommy jack so I can still tour and service, loosing the center stand did suck. :(
Ferret I'll take her out for a decent ride in a couple of days and hopefully chuck a couple of photos up.
 
Cool, thanks. We like pictures ;)
 
Back
Top