Private Track Day at Thunderhill Raceway

Rolls_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Sacrilege! But so much fun.

f29971e367b4f0a3275a23ed1d2c6533.jpg


Actually, remarkably balanced and reassuring on tight and technical Thunderhill West. Sacrilege? Yes. Recommended? Definitely.
 
LOL I looked at the pic and thought the same exact thing as Rocky...

How cool is that! Very cool.
 
I know, you had fun! I can really recommend, to do this from time to time. It teaches you a lot about your vehicle and your own limits. It improves your ability to brake hard to the limit and gives you confidence in how far you can bank your bike.

I go to a track together with a couple of friends once a year or so for a whole day. We have a lot of fun together. The last times I was there with my 20 years old BMW K1100RS. I am thinking about to do this next year again with my CB1100, however I'm little bit concerned about the cooling, as you drive your engine really to the limits.

Here is a picture of me at Anneau du Rhin race track 2012:
8163106c6426db0eb34800e0fbb7612a.jpg


This a movie, which a friend of mine last year took of me. I'm the rider of the black BMW with the plate ES-I 64. My friend with the camera followed me on a Kawasaki ZX-9R:

 
Great shot of you and the CB on the track! I would love to do that. And Django, that video and photo are great too! I must admit, "finding the limits of you and your bike" doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Haha. I'm all for improving skills but with the tires available for the CB, I'd be really scared to lean too much and that fear wouldn't translate too well on the track. Finding limits, at least in my mind, often involves something like - "Ok, feels good...holding the line...just a little more lean...OH Cr@#!"
 
Rolls, so what was it like?
Once on the track, did you find you could lean and push the CB further than you had been doing on the street?
I've never dragged my CB's pegs, others say they have, I assume on the track you could?
 
I want to know how Rolls got away without having to cover half the bike in masking tape. I've held off on doing a track day for 3 main reasons: 1. looks like a pain in the butt to prep the bike 2. I don't own a full set of leathers and 3. I'd feel out of place on my bike among all the sport bike guys.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I want to know how Rolls got away without having to cover half the bike in masking tape. I've held off on doing a track day for 3 main reasons: 1. looks like a pain in the butt to prep the bike 2. I don't own a full set of leathers and 3. I'd feel out of place on my bike among all the sport bike guys.
1. Tape the lights and indicators. Mirrors easy to remove/replace.

2. Get some. Might come in handy on the road.

3. Stuffemall.



Cheers, and bring money.
 
Thread starter
Django - GREAT vid and photo! Looks like you really had fun, too! What circuit was that?


HikerToo - I'm not a knee dragger by any stretch. Still, with all the street-specific risks removed, you can really relax and get to know the curves and the bike's behavior a lot better. I can tell you that when I was hitting a corner close to correctly, it was the motorcycle equivalent of hitting a baseball or a golf ball just right - it feels fantastic. Better tires would help - all 27 other bikes were sport bikes with track-friendly or track-only tires. Still I was limited by my skill (and my aversion to scratching or denting that beautiful tank that I love so much) and not the bike or its limits. I did drag a peg once or twice but in hairpins... and I still have the stock nubs that extend the pegs.

The bike felt great and it has much more in it. Brakes were superb. No evidence of overheating at all ( I think WOT is a richer mixture than most operating conditions, which helps a bit). The track really helped me focus on my riding technique which I think will help me on the street and in the twisties around here, though I'm not one to push it on the street - too many surprises around each bend. It was an exhausting and exhilarating day. I did about 120 miles on the track. Weather was post-card perfect.
53b46f5dbe866c4c6c79922e97dfce4c.jpg



Ptero - Hope you get the chance to do it! I did it 5 days after my 55th bday.

Mike - Your reasons were exactly the same as mine. Here's how it all came together for me, and I probably wouldn't have done it had I not been so lucky on these points.

1. looks like a pain in the butt to prep the bike.

Turns out it wasn't. I put blue masking tape on the back light (they don't want to see brake lights go on. I suppose it's a distraction to those who know what they're doing on a track?) Taping took 5 mins. My headlight lens is plastic, not glass, so not tape required. Actually true of my turn sigs, but I taped 'em anyway. Can only help, I figured. After 5 mins to tape, I pulled the mirrors and lowered the tire pressures to around 29F/30R. That's it.

2. I don't own a full set of leathers

Me either and that's a requirement, although a two-piece suit was ok for this event. I got this reasonably well-fitting, reasonably higher end, Alpinestars suit for $200 from one of the guys in the group I often ride with on weekends. Amazing. So lucky. Another of the guys lent me a spare full-length race back protector. I bought a pair of Dainese boots for the track from Cycle Gear, after trying for a while to find used ones. I could've used my street boots, but I wanted the extra ankle protection, especially after Randy B's unfortunate incident.

3. I'd feel out of place on my bike among all the sport bike guys.

Me, too. However this was organized by the same guy who organizes our weekend rides, a very experienced rider and AFM racer. I knew almost every one of the participants who made it out to this private track day. Made all the difference in the world. They were so supportive and helpful. I just rode my own ride, paying special attention to being predictable. I was passed many times, but never spooked at all. And with fewer than 30 guys at the track all day, it was close to having the track to yourself. There were no organized times, just groups going out whenever they felt rested and ready. Often only 8-12 on the track at a time. Sooo lucky.

That's how it worked out for me. Hope it's helpful, or at least interesting, to others.

P.S. No more nubs on the very edge of my rear tire!!
 
Good info mate. I have done it, just not on a CB. Two piece suits are generally OK for "social" track days, but different rules may apply depending on the organisers or venue. You sound as though you had a great time and, importantly, became familiar with the limits of the bike and yourself. Any more good photos? Looks very dry at that track. My 70th birthday present is a trip to the Great Smokies in May. The CB track day just may be an "add-on".

Cheers
 
Thread starter
Very dry indeed in northern California these days, but the rainy season is just about upon us now. I like this shot as the sun sets on a long and lovely track day at Thunderhill.

93e1691ab68bdbc2417bf814a2b5d132.jpg
 
I trust you showed those sport bike wienies the fast line around the track?
 
I think y'all know I was just kidding. Kudos to Rolls for getting out there in the first place. I think the fear of being embarrassingly slow and the fear of hurting my baby will only allow me to appreciate this vicariously. Thanks Rolls.
 
Back
Top