Price for a 2014???

Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Nightengale_imp said:
Harley's are a dime a dozen here, tons and tons of them for sale. But not particularly cheap or in my mind, "good deals" to be had. No, I don't want one. Just wonder why there are so MANY on the market. The CB1100 however, is a seriously underappreciated machine. Unlike the other air-cooled motors, this modernized bike is a real gem with great engineering and attention to detail. But it doesn't have the appeal of other designs, which is all in the eye of the beholder.

My '14 Standard has depreciated since I traded for it, but not in my eyes. I could care less about having the latest road machine when this one does it all and has a cool nostalgic factor too that will never go away. Recently installed SW-Motech pannier racks and picked up a set of Mosko Moto Backcountry panniers and duffel. Should be good to go. And I've got a Garmin 595LM enroute to me which I'm looking forward to. These add-ons will make the bike a great tourer for paved surfaces. It gets appreciative looks and comments from people wherever it's parked.

I think motorcyclist are fickle, but just like car owners, it's beholden to what you "think" is right for you. They all work, but if they don't have the whiz-bang newfangle doodad that turns your crank a bit faster, then it's not deemed as desirable or valuable. The cool thing about the CB1100 is they did almost everything right on the bike (hydraulic valves would've been nice). You can dress it up, deck it out, increase HP, make is sound cool for not much money, but it doesn't "need" anything either.

I've toyed several times with getting something else, but seriously, I go take another ride or just another look at the CB1100 in the garage and think, "I'd be nuts to sell this" because it pushes all the right buttons (for me). I've done a few other mods not mentioned and it's seriously "just right" now. The only thing I wish for now is the ice to disappear so I can go riding again.
HD not cheap? How much cheaper can you get than a dime a dozen? :rofl:
HD not cheap? How much cheaper can you get than a dime a dozen? :rofl:
My prediction is HD will file for bankruptcy (for the second time) in the next 3-5 years. They only survived last time because the government bailed them out by putting a $1,000 tariff on all Japanese imports over 750 cc. in the mid 80's. The hard core "buy American Harley bikers" are dying off and the new generation of riders has no desire for them. Now that they are moving production to Asia, even the "buy American" them is gone. I was at a motorcycle auction a couple months ago and was a low mileage V-rod for for $3,500.
 
Asian production is for the local asian market; no need to panic yet on that particular "buy American" theme. However; their foreign parts content has been very high for years.

HD is also taking the future a lot more seriously than back in the early 80's as they explore smaller bikes and the electric market. Way too early to stick a fork in them. It certainly won't be easy for them though and the problems they face are bigger than what they can probably survive in the long run - at least as a gas engine powered toy manufacturer.

It won't directly affect those of us here; but it was pointed out to me this summer that the date 2100, a common line in the sand date for long term predictions on climate change (and the latest dire predictions have moved that date up); for the first time there are people alive today that will be around in 2100. Not us, but our grandchildren. It will be a very different world. Happy Monday!
 
HD definitely has the marketing might to reinvent themselves. It may be more about the will of should they? An analogy is McDonald's Big Mac and Quarter Pounder & Cheese. These are McD's classics, and many of us still clamour for them. But the later generations may not, and McD has attractive modern offerings. If HD ever did a modern day Honda, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" type of marketing gig, but maybe uber cool, or something "Apple intelligent", or whatever similar ... they could really carve out a new market share.

Japan did it to the world (especially in the U.S.) with the likes of the CB160 during the 60's. The Chinese could very well do it to everyone with some "qool electric thang" that hasn't been thought up yet and command unexpected market share. HD with its ultra high quality standard could offer a very sexy "Apple-like" offering that sets the bar high.

Can HD handle both the cool and geek product images? If they could, they may be unstoppable.

If this were to ever happen, how might the likes of Honda respond? (no need to respond to question)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
HD definitely has the marketing might to reinvent themselves. It may be more about the will of should they? An analogy is McDonald's Big Mac and Quarter Pounder & Cheese. These are McD's classics, and many of us still clamour for them. But the later generations may not, and McD has attractive modern offerings. If HD ever did a modern day Honda, "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" type of marketing gig, but maybe uber cool, or something "Apple intelligent", or whatever similar ... they could really carve out a new market share.

Japan did it to the world (especially in the U.S.) with the likes of the CB160 during the 60's. The Chinese could very well do it to everyone with some "qool electric thang" that hasn't been thought up yet and command unexpected market share. HD with its ultra high quality standard could offer a very sexy "Apple-like" offering that sets the bar high.

Can HD handle both the cool and geek product images? If they could, they may be unstoppable.

If this were to ever happen, how might the likes of Honda respond? (no need to respond to question)
I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I just don't think the key for HD is in marketing a product based on "quality" when the motorcycle market on the whole does not really view them as a quality product. they're trounced in terms of reliability by the reputation of almost every available japanese manufacturer. BMW still manages to plug right along and sell a lot of machines without having a reliability to match japanese products, and they also sell at a price point that is comparable to HD products, so the bigger question to ask is why do they get sales where HD fails? I think the answer is that HD must do one of two things: beat japanese prices in North America (never going to happen) or build bikes that are so new and advanced that they make the latest BMW look like a radio flyer wagon. They need new engines, new form factors, new frames, new tech in all aspects in order to compete. couple that with a marketing campaign that goes like "The Original Innovators" and you could see a revival of American motorcycles.

From what i can see they're really trying to get that done over the next couple of years. we'll see. they're going to have to keep the price in line with comparable Euro models in order to keep it from flopping, though.
 
You are not getting hate from me as I think that you are right on most of your points. I would never buy a HD but I very much hope that they stay in business as they also are very important to the after market suppliers ; just think of oil , tires etc.
Hopefully they are right on with the electric bikes they hope to bring out.
 
I respectfully disagree with misterprofessionality on several points, but that's okay. I think HD absolutely markets its products on quality (whether the buying public has the same perception is a different argument) and I've seen no evidence which indicates they're any less reliable than a similar-sized Japanese bike or BMW. I'm unlikely to ever become a HD owner -- it's not my lifestyle -- but I don't disparage their products.
 
Thread starter
I think of a couple old quotes:

" Harley doesn't sell motorcycles; they sell life styles"
"If Harley made an airplane would you let your family fly in it?"

And I think today, Harley makes more money on apparel than on bikes.

Another big problem they have is Indian. Indian is making some really nice bikes with modern technology and they are marketing the Sh&% out of them.
 
superjim_imp said:
I think of a couple old quotes:

" Harley doesn't sell motorcycles; they sell life styles"
"If Harley made an airplane would you let your family fly in it?"

And I think today, Harley makes more money on apparel than on bikes.

Another big problem they have is Indian. Indian is making some really nice bikes with modern technology and they are marketing the Sh&% out of them.
My answer: NO ....ing way, I would
Sorry, but this is the best answer to this perfect question!:thumbsup:
 
What would y'all say is HD's biggest reliability issue, specifically? Or is it more generalized than that? I'm talking new, modern models.
 
Like LongRanger and in part for the same reason, I'm unlikely ever to own a Harley Davidson. Also like LongRanger and other reasonable people on this forum, I'm not going to run HD down. Lots and lots of people ride them and are very happy to do so. In 2017, HD sold more road bikes in Australia than any other manufacturer and was the fifth biggest seller across all classes of motorcycle. HD sold more bikes than BMW, Indian, Triumph combined.

To the end of September 2018, only Honda has sold more road bikes than HD. Admittedly HD's sales have tanked in 2018—down 20.4% in the first 6 months of this year—but Honda's sales are also down, albeit only 3.6%. Indian has increased sales, but the rate of growth has slowed in Q3. Overall sales of motorcycles, scooters and ATVs is down 6.2%.

2017 data and commentary: Australian Motorcycle Sales Figures and motorcycle market study
2018 Q2 data & commentary: Half-Year Motocycle Sales Figures | Honda CRF230F #1 selling motorcycle in Australia
2018 Q3 data & commentary: Australian Motorcycles Sales down 6.2% overall | Q3 2018

EDIT: dbarkdoll, I've not heard that current HD models have too many reliability issues. Many have posted here that HD has lifted its game big time in recent years.
 
HD has had some under reported issues with one of it's new engines, can't remember which one. Milwaukee 8 i think.

I'd gladly ride another HD (I've had 6) if they made one that appealed to me, but they don't at present. I think a V twin sport tourer by HD might be kind of cool. Or a standard of some sort. Heck in 94 I test rode a new Dyna convertible that almost got me to open my wallet. It was uncannily smooth for a Harley (once underway) and very comfortable. I was shocked. Had a clear shield and bags that removed easily. But it was still a cruiser. Haven't ridden any of the newer models though.
 
I test rode a brand new Heritage Softail a few weeks back. Looking back it was a very stupid thing to do that I will never repeat, seeing as if I accidentally dropped the thing I'd owe HD $20k+. It was an eye opener though. This one had the 114 mill. Holy crap. I get it now. Pretty sure that bike would talk off happily from 6th gear. Very comfy, excellent fit and finish, good ergos, I was smiling ear to ear on it. Suspension (new design for 2018) worked great, brakes were great. No complaints whatsoever. I'm not a cruiser guy (now), but 10-15 years down the road I could see myself on one of those very easily.
 
Really didn't want to turn, yet another CB thread into an HD beat down. Sorry folks. ( ... just kiddin')

However, I believe HD has a limited-time opportunity to leverage its marketing swagger. If they wait too long, then bad things can happen. They need the "McD's French fry product" to pay their way to innovative future products that even non-riders want - a sort of speak. And no ... I don't mean an "HD badged" Apple phone or sumthin' silly like that ... like a (*cough*), HD badged pick-up (*cough*) truck.
 
It will be difficult road for HD as they only make motorcycles, just think about all the other products many of the other manufacturers sell.
Stand alone motorcycle companies always had and will have a difficult time when motorcycle sales are down. Just compare Honda and some of the great Italian motor cycle companies.
 
DBM_imp said:
My new leftover 2014 black beauty was $5,999.00. I got the last one in Florida. Life is all about timing with a little luck. OTD drive away price with all new fluids, battery, helmet, and 5 year Honda unlimited mileage transferrable warranty was 8K. Happy
I got the same deal in Florida about 3 months ago.
 
Thread starter
jitaylor_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
My new leftover 2014 black beauty was $5,999.00. I got the last one in Florida. Life is all about timing with a little luck. OTD drive away price with all new fluids, battery, helmet, and 5 year Honda unlimited mileage transferrable warranty was 8K. Happy
I got the same deal in Florida about 3 months ago.
I got the same deal in Florida about 3 months ago.
Thanks, that's great info. I found a new leftover 2014 near me today. They had it marked down to $6,999. I showed them that info and they agreed to match that price. Yea, I'm ready to write the check.....but then they started adding their dealer fees: Freight - $797.00 Now just how many motorcycles ship on a truck at one time? Say 20? That would be $15,940 for shipping on that truck. Someone is making some extra profit on freight. Then dealer prep - $373.00. Really? Let's see, unload the crate with a fork lift, install handlebars, add oil, check tire pressure, take crate to dumpster...How long did that take? Let's say 1 hour to be conservative. OK, charge me $75.00 an hour. What's the other $298 for? I know, the book says charge 5 hours labor - Someone is making extra profit on prep. Then add document and admin fees to write up the paper and fill out the title - $299.00. Really again? Thy pay the admin person about $15.00 an hour. It takes her 30 minutes at most. Ok round it to an hour and charge me $15.00. Someone is making extra profit on admin fees. Total price came to $7,481.00 and that didn't include sales tax. Nope: Had to walk away.

My logic is: if you can get a used 2014 with low miles OTD for $5,500, How much more is a new one with no miles worth? Six months later after riding each one of them 1,000 miles, they are both used. Is the one with 1,000 miles really worth more than the one with 2,000 or 3,000 miles? Maybe a couple hundred on a good day but most likely it's negligible.

They also had a used one with only 205 miles but they were underwater on that one. They could loose money and still not be any better on the pricing than the new one.

Oh well, still Christmas shopping for now

If I keep waiting I may break this fever before I shell out the cash. I'm already thinking I don't really NEED another motorcycle.
 
Looked for a new 14 a few months ago. Didn’t matter if it was advertised at $5547 or $6597, always ended up $7K + TTL.

Most of the 14’s have been sold or the rebate from Honda went away because I don’t see many advertised. That has driven the price of used ones up.
 
Back
Top