Previous motorcycles

furious_blue_imp said:

Since that time I've always had a soft spot for Sportsters and thought, at some point, I'd own another. When the XR came out a 3 years ago I couldn't resist and went and bought one but it just wasn't the same. Decent bike and all that (kept if for a year and a half) but I never really bonded with it like I did with my original...

T Wolfe...you really can't go home again, etc, etc...:([url=http://s596.photobucket.com/user/pacwnc/media/SN851727.jpg.html]

Pete C
 
petec_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:

Since that time I've always had a soft spot for Sportsters and thought, at some point, I'd own another. When the XR came out a 3 years ago I couldn't resist and went and bought one but it just wasn't the same. Decent bike and all that (kept if for a year and a half) but I never really bonded with it like I did with my original...

T Wolfe...you really can't go home again, etc, etc...:([url=http://s596.photobucket.com/user/pacwnc/media/SN851727.jpg.html]

Pete C

Since that time I've always had a soft spot for Sportsters and thought, at some point, I'd own another. When the XR came out a 3 years ago I couldn't resist and went and bought one but it just wasn't the same. Decent bike and all that (kept if for a year and a half) but I never really bonded with it like I did with my original...

T Wolfe...you really can't go home again, etc, etc...:([url=http://s596.photobucket.com/user/pacwnc/media/SN851727.jpg.html]

Pete C
I thought that those XRs were great looking Sporty's. Apparently, most of America didn't agree :-o.

Sorry that it didn't float your boat...

I bought a Triumph Speed Triple a handful of years back hoping that it would be the mid-70's Triumph Trident that I lusted after but could not afford at the time (it was all I could do to keep my CB350 running).
The Speed Triple had power, had handling, had a nice sounding engine, but it just wasn't doing it for me as a motorcycle...

Old Harley ads used characterize Japanese bikes as disposable Bic cigarette lighters (as I'm sure you recall !).. well, that's that the Speed Triple seemed like to me (for reasons that I don't quite understand).

I sold it for the CB1100.. relatively speaking, the CB1100 doesn't have power and it doesn't have handling.. but it is to me a *motorcycle*, one that I know I'll keep.
 
furious_blue_imp said:
petec_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:

Since that time I've always had a soft spot for Sportsters and thought, at some point, I'd own another. When the XR came out a 3 years ago I couldn't resist and went and bought one but it just wasn't the same. Decent bike and all that (kept if for a year and a half) but I never really bonded with it like I did with my original...

T Wolfe...you really can't go home again, etc, etc...:([url=http://s596.photobucket.com/user/pacwnc/media/SN851727.jpg.html]

Pete C

Since that time I've always had a soft spot for Sportsters and thought, at some point, I'd own another. When the XR came out a 3 years ago I couldn't resist and went and bought one but it just wasn't the same. Decent bike and all that (kept if for a year and a half) but I never really bonded with it like I did with my original...

T Wolfe...you really can't go home again, etc, etc...:([url=http://s596.photobucket.com/user/pacwnc/media/SN851727.jpg.html]

Pete C
I thought that those XRs were great looking Sporty's. Apparently, most of America didn't agree :-o.

Sorry that it didn't float your boat...

I bought a Triumph Speed Triple a handful of years back hoping that it would be the mid-70's Triumph Trident that I lusted after but could not afford at the time (it was all I could do to keep my CB350 running).
The Speed Triple had power, had handling, had a nice sounding engine, but it just wasn't doing it for me as a motorcycle...

Old Harley ads used characterize Japanese bikes as disposable Bic cigarette lighters (as I'm sure you recall !).. well, that's that the Speed Triple seemed like to me (for reasons that I don't quite understand).

I sold it for the CB1100.. relatively speaking, the CB1100 doesn't have power and it doesn't have handling.. but it is to me a *motorcycle*, one that I know I'll keep.
Same here, Furious. When I first started riding in the mid-70s, one of my riding buddies had the Trident (purple trim, if I recall). I was on my lowly CB360T. But that Trident sound!!! I could follow him all day just to hear it. He still has it in his garage, but it hasn't been ridden for probably 25 years. And he won't sell it to me (crap).
 
Thread starter
I thought the XR Sportys were " mostly" there. They were very blocky looking when they were supposed to resemble the sparse and mean XR 750 Flat trackers. Close but no cigar. I've seen some custom cafe 'd Sportys that looked soooooo good. Poor Harley, they are stuck. Victims of heir own marketing.
 
Michael252_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:
petec_imp said:
furious_blue_imp said:

Since that time I've always had a soft spot for Sportsters and thought, at some point, I'd own another. When the XR came out a 3 years ago I couldn't resist and went and bought one but it just wasn't the same. Decent bike and all that (kept if for a year and a half) but I never really bonded with it like I did with my original...

T Wolfe...you really can't go home again, etc, etc...:([url=http://s596.photobucket.com/user/pacwnc/media/SN851727.jpg.html]

Pete C

Since that time I've always had a soft spot for Sportsters and thought, at some point, I'd own another. When the XR came out a 3 years ago I couldn't resist and went and bought one but it just wasn't the same. Decent bike and all that (kept if for a year and a half) but I never really bonded with it like I did with my original...

T Wolfe...you really can't go home again, etc, etc...:([url=http://s596.photobucket.com/user/pacwnc/media/SN851727.jpg.html]

Pete C
I thought that those XRs were great looking Sporty's. Apparently, most of America didn't agree :-o.

Sorry that it didn't float your boat...

I bought a Triumph Speed Triple a handful of years back hoping that it would be the mid-70's Triumph Trident that I lusted after but could not afford at the time (it was all I could do to keep my CB350 running).
The Speed Triple had power, had handling, had a nice sounding engine, but it just wasn't doing it for me as a motorcycle...

Old Harley ads used characterize Japanese bikes as disposable Bic cigarette lighters (as I'm sure you recall !).. well, that's that the Speed Triple seemed like to me (for reasons that I don't quite understand).

I sold it for the CB1100.. relatively speaking, the CB1100 doesn't have power and it doesn't have handling.. but it is to me a *motorcycle*, one that I know I'll keep.
Same here, Furious. When I first started riding in the mid-70s, one of my riding buddies had the Trident (purple trim, if I recall). I was on my lowly CB360T. But that Trident sound!!! I could follow him all day just to hear it. He still has it in his garage, but it hasn't been ridden for probably 25 years. And he won't sell it to me (crap).

Parallel lives ! I never suspected at the time that there was someone else going through the same thing at about the same time :-)

The original Trident was a masterpiece of manufacturing craft. IMHO, mass producers today will not design an engine that requires so much effort to create start to finish... Maybe that's what was disappointing about the modern Speed Triple to me, aside from power, the engine was designed for ease/low-cost of manufacture and it shows it out in the open (I don't mind an ugly but functional non-descript engine that's hidden under plastic).

Our CB1100s on the other hand, my god, the cylinder head casting !
 
Thread starter
If you go back to page 1 and look at the list of bikes Ive owned you'll see the BSA Rocket 3 750. This was BSA's version of the Trident. First motorcycle imported into the country that would run 130 mph right out of the box. It had a glorious sound, even with the factory " ray gun " pipes. Ot also had a persistant oil leak. The oil would run UP the clutch cable and blow back onto my leg. No orings would fix it, not even silicone would stop it. Every pair of jeans I owned had an oil stain on the shin. I finally sold it to my Doctor (still my doctor, still a good friend and riding buddy) for $ 675.00 which I spent on fuel oil to heat my home.

Talk about bad decisions lol
Ironically now its Triumph that has the Rocket 3, and amazingly each piston in the new Rocket 3 displaces more than all 3 of the BSA 750's pistons COMBINED!
 
In order over the past 30 years.
Suzuki ER185
Honda XL250s
Suzuki GSX400
Honda CBX550
Honda XL600
Kawasaki GT750
Honda CBX750
Yamaha RZ350
Suzuki GSXR 400
Triumph Speedmaster
Buell XB12STT
Honda CB1300
Suzuki DR650
Triumph Street Triple
Kawasaki Gtr 1400 Concours

Currently own
1984 Yamaha RZ500
1992 Moto Guzzi SP3
2011 Honda CB1100
 
it would take me a long time to compile a list of old bikes, I've been riding all my life and have owned many.

But here are a few previous bikes:













There are many many more... :shy:
 
Gentlemen,

My progression parallels that of many others here. At age 12 I bought a Briggs & Stratten 3hp Mini-Bike brand new for $150 that I earned at a summer job. I'm 57 now and have never once been without at least 1 motorcycle since. From there...
-Honda Trail 70
-Honda SL100
-Husqvarna 450 CR
-Husqvarna 250 WR
-Honda XR600
-Honda XR400
-Honda CRX250
-Yamaha TW200
-Harley-Davidson 1000 Sportster
-Harley-Davidson 1200 Sportster
-Harley-Davidson Super Glide
-Harley-Davidson Low Rider
-Harley-Davidson Road King
-Harley-Davidson Road King Classic
-Triumph Bonneville
-Ducati Monster 900 F.I.
-Honda CB1100

I currently have 7 motorcycles in my garage that include those I bought for my son and stepson. The CB1100 is one of my all time favorites.

Chip
 
The ferret_imp said:
If you go back to page 1 and look at the list of bikes Ive owned you'll see the BSA Rocket 3 750. This was BSA's version of the Trident. First motorcycle imported into the country that would run 130 mph right out of the box. It had a glorious sound, even with the factory " ray gun " pipes. Ot also had a persistant oil leak. The oil would run UP the clutch cable and blow back onto my leg. No orings would fix it, not even silicone would stop it. Every pair of jeans I owned had an oil stain on the shin. I finally sold it to my Doctor (still my doctor, still a good friend and riding buddy) for $ 675.00 which I spent on fuel oil to heat my home.

Talk about bad decisions lol
Ironically now its Triumph that has the Rocket 3, and amazingly each piston in the new Rocket 3 displaces more than all 3 of the BSA 750's pistons COMBINED!
last year I was (bi)cycling and happened to spot an original Rocket 3. I had to stop for some photos ! Not as nice looking as a fully restored bike, but it's really good to see a running 'survivor' out there..
 
flynbulldog---A 1078 Brutale, in those exact same colors--I can recall that as I walked into Pro Italia a couple of years ago, it stopped me dead in my tracks. I'd never seen anything so beautiful, and I almost sold my soul right there. Luckily, it wasn't a California-approved bike, and they were prohibited from selling it.

Good thing, it would have probably cost me a divorce also...
 
thumper_imp said:
flynbulldog---A 1078 Brutale, in those exact same colors--I can recall that as I walked into Pro Italia a couple of years ago, it stopped me dead in my tracks. I'd never seen anything so beautiful, and I almost sold my soul right there. Luckily, it wasn't a California-approved bike, and they were prohibited from selling it.

Good thing, it would have probably cost me a divorce also...
Have you seen this for 2013?:




I've been tearing my heart out trying to decide if I want to trade my last true sportbike for it...

I had the 1078 Brutale set up so sweet, full MV corse exhaust and ECU, every peice of plastic was replaced with carbon, led lights everywhere, Alcantera and leather seat, Gubilini racing suspension and damper
Corse billet everywhere... There were only 28 of those brought to North America!
I rode it almost exclusively on the track the last year of ownership and thought I should have a sportbike instead - now I miss it.

This gold bike will be even rarer with only 8 scheduled for NA this year.
 
That bike is beautiful. Luckily I have two things working against me getting one...

1) The garage is full
2) The wallet is empty

:D
 
Mostly metrics over the years, a few Harley's and now Deb and I are stuck on collecting and bringing back to life old Honda's these days, so currently we have;

Two 1978 CX500 both Red and Black versions, Museum quaility 1981 Honda CX500, 1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing (for sale), 1977 Honda CB750K, 1981 Honda CB750K, 1982 Honda CB750K and now a lovely new 2013 CB1100



[url=http://s413.photobucket.com/user/Mstarvideo/media/Our%20Vintage%20Bike%20Collection/1010961_10152234519186515_359509331_n_zps13eeb756.jpg.html]
 
Let me just say I'm in awe of a lot of the bikes you've all had the pleasure of owning. I've only been riding for two years now (finally started at age 36) but at least now I don't feel bad that I'm already on my third bike. My first was a red 84 Nighthawk 700SC, I picked it because it has a distinctly 80s look and I thought it was neat. After having it and learning a lot more about bikes in general and riding several others I came to realize just how awesome of a bike I chose. Unfortunately the condition wasn't the greatest and it ended up having too many problems and it wasn't really a good candidate for total restoration. After selling it quickly for slightly less than I paid for it, I found a 2003 Nighthawk 750 and had a lot of fun on that until I traded it for my CB1100.

While I do love my CB, I still would like to find a mint condition or totally restored 84-86 NH 700SC, preferably the 86 red white & blue model. I haven't been on as many bikes as the rest of you, but for me that model was the perfect ride and the CB1100 comes close to what I liked about it.
 
Thread starter
The 700S were really nice bikes and are still readily available although the RWB ones are rare. At this age if it hasn't already been addressed, a used 700 S will surely have some electrical issues. If you go to the CB750Nighthawk forum there are many there still riding the 700Ss.
 
I have been riding since an early age, but could not ride on the street until high school graduation. Then it was on.
72 Honda CL350
78 Yamaha XS650 Special
79 Moto Morini 3-1/2
80 Yamaha XS850
82 Yamaha 750 Seca
85 Honda GL1200
86 Kawasaki Ninja 600
88 Kawasaki Concours
90 Yamaha FZR400
88 Honda GL1500
99 Ducati 750 SS
01 Ducati ST4
02 Honda GL1800
00 Aprilia Falco
03 Aprilia Tuono
05 Harley FXDL
07 Honda VFR800 RWB
07 Yamaha FJR1300
 
Thread starter
Nice motorcycle history MM
 
Back
Top