Previous motorcycles

Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
I moved this to the "Other Bikes" section. Seeing how most of us have a few years under our belts, I'm sure that there is plenty that can be contributed to this section.

in my case, the only other street bike that I've ridden/owned is my 1988 Honda Hawk GT. Previously my exposure to bikes is rooted in off-road machines of another era. I spent a fair amount of time on the following bikes:

1969 Honda Z50
1973 Honda XR75
1977 Honda XR75
1971 Kawasaki Centurion G31-M (100cc)
1977 Suzuki RM100
1973 Yamaha MX125

You know Guth...that background makes for a really good street rider. Youve felt what it is like to have a front end push, or a back end come around, and when youve experienced that in the dirt, its not as scarey when it happens on the street.

I always felt my street riding made me a better MotoX racer, and my MotoX racing made me a better street rider
 
Here is the list of bikes I have owned over the years ,first on e in Holland,second one in England and the rest in the USA

DKW 200 RT
Ducati 450 (non desmo)
Honda 350F
Suzuki Cobra
Kawasaki H2
Honda CBX (5)
Honda VF1000 R (2)
Honda CB1100 R
Honda RC 30
Honda RC 51 (Nicky Haydn Edition )
Honda CB1000 (2)
Honda CB1100 (2013)

At the ,moment I have 5 bikes ,all on the road,a 79 and 80 CBX and a 94 and 95 CB1000 and the new CB1100.
As is normal I regret selling most of them but not the RC 51,I am too old but that style of bike and here in the mountains of NC it was not very usefull.I will sell my 80 CBX as the garage is full with bikes and a car and lots of "stuff"
 
Thread starter
Nice list Houtman, I've read about DKWs but never seen one in person. I had a 79 CBX as a demo bike one time..candy red, loved it. Actually wouldn't mind having one in the garage now
 
Back in the 70s, I worked for a small Honda dealer for about 7 years and a small Yamaha dealer for about 5 years, so I had the opportunity to ride quite a variety of motorcycles. Having said that, here is a list of bikes that I've actually owned.......
1970 Honda SL100
1971 Honda CL450
1975 Honda CB750 SS
1984 Honda CB700SC (Nighthawk S)
2001 Kawasaki ZR-7S
1973 Honda CB200T
1992 Kawasaki ZX11-D
2001 Yamaha FZ1
1993 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F (Blue)
1983 Honda CB1100F (Red)
1984 Honda VT500 Ascot
Jim
 
Houtman_imp said:
Here is the list of bikes I have owned over the years ,first on e in Holland,second one in England and the rest in the USA

DKW 200 RT
Ducati 450 (non desmo)
Honda 350F
Suzuki Cobra
Kawasaki H2
Honda CBX (5)
Honda VF1000 R (2)
Honda CB1100 R
Honda RC 30
Honda RC 51 (Nicky Haydn Edition )
Honda CB1000 (2)
Honda CB1100 (2013)

At the ,moment I have 5 bikes ,all on the road,a 79 and 80 CBX and a 94 and 95 CB1000 and the new CB1100.
As is normal I regret selling most of them but not the RC 51,I am too old but that style of bike and here in the mountains of NC it was not very usefull.I will sell my 80 CBX as the garage is full with bikes and a car and lots of "stuff"
One of my uncles had a CB350F back in the early seventies. That's the bike that ignited my interest in motorcycling. :cool:
Inline4_imp said:
Back in the 70s, I worked for a small Honda dealer for about 7 years and a small Yamaha dealer for about 5 years, so I had the opportunity to ride quite a variety of motorcycles. Having said that, here is a list of bikes that I've actually owned.......
1970 Honda SL100
1971 Honda CL450
1975 Honda CB750 SS
1984 Honda CB700SC (Nighthawk S)
2001 Kawasaki ZR-7S
1973 Honda CB200T
1992 Kawasaki ZX11-D
2001 Yamaha FZ1
1993 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concours
1983 Honda CB1100F (Blue)
1983 Honda CB1100F (Red)
1984 Honda VT500 Ascot
Jim
I always wanted a CB200. I liked the shape of the gas tank and that "unique" padded section.
 
Like Guth, I started small learning to ride on a 68 Honda Mini Trail Z50 3 speed. Later, my best friend got an 82 Honda XR80. We spent hours and hours riding that bike around the neighborhood having a blast. I have always been a huge car guy so most of my time has been focused in that direction. Rekindled my interest in bikes about 3 years ago when i did a ground up restoration on my old 68 Honda Mini Trail Z50 which my dad still had knocking around his garage. And yes, the bike was still in running condition after 42 years of use. Amazing.

My first street bike was 2 years ago when I purchased a 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE Pacific Blue over Fusion White. Absolutely loved that bike. Sold it to purchase the CB1100.

68 Honda Mini Trail Z50 K0 - Still own this bike
82 Honda XR80 - Friends Bike
2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
2013 Honda CB1100
 
I counted them all up, several years ago, and the number was more than 60.
Part of that number is because I occasionally buy dead bikes and bring them back to life.... then sell them.

Current inventory:
2013 Honda CB1100
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2010 Honda GL1800 Gold Wing
2008 Harley Fat Boy FLSTF
2008 Yamaha VStar1300
 
Scoobynut_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I love how diverse of a collection everybody has owned. Some of them pretty rare. Wow been a long time since Ive seen a YM-1, or a YL-1 or a Kawasaki Centurion, and I've never even heard of some Powdertoastman has owned. Very cool fellas.

I hope some of the lurkers post up some of the bikes they have owned.
My YM1 and YL1 were very nice examples of the breed. I still regret selling the little YL1 -- even at 40+ years old it was dead reliable. Oh well, I have another YL1 that I'm slowly restoring. The YM1's basic design was from the late 50's so it was more maintenance intensive, whereas the YL1 when it came out in '66, was state-of-the-art two-stroke design.

'66 YM1:


'66 YL1:
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/BlueYL1022.jpg.html]

My YM1 and YL1 were very nice examples of the breed. I still regret selling the little YL1 -- even at 40+ years old it was dead reliable. Oh well, I have another YL1 that I'm slowly restoring. The YM1's basic design was from the late 50's so it was more maintenance intensive, whereas the YL1 when it came out in '66, was state-of-the-art two-stroke design.

'66 YM1:
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/66YamahaYM1305.jpg.html]
I'm partial to the SOHC Hondas but that YM-1, in that color and in that condition, is just unbelievable.
 
cb400four_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I love how diverse of a collection everybody has owned. Some of them pretty rare. Wow been a long time since Ive seen a YM-1, or a YL-1 or a Kawasaki Centurion, and I've never even heard of some Powdertoastman has owned. Very cool fellas.

I hope some of the lurkers post up some of the bikes they have owned.
My YM1 and YL1 were very nice examples of the breed. I still regret selling the little YL1 -- even at 40+ years old it was dead reliable. Oh well, I have another YL1 that I'm slowly restoring. The YM1's basic design was from the late 50's so it was more maintenance intensive, whereas the YL1 when it came out in '66, was state-of-the-art two-stroke design.

'66 YM1:


'66 YL1:
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/BlueYL1022.jpg.html]

My YM1 and YL1 were very nice examples of the breed. I still regret selling the little YL1 -- even at 40+ years old it was dead reliable. Oh well, I have another YL1 that I'm slowly restoring. The YM1's basic design was from the late 50's so it was more maintenance intensive, whereas the YL1 when it came out in '66, was state-of-the-art two-stroke design.

'66 YM1:
[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/66YamahaYM1305.jpg.html]
I'm partial to the SOHC Hondas but that YM-1, in that color and in that condition, is just unbelievable.

It was definitely good garage porn.
 
Hey all. No pictures, but I do have a pretty complete list. In chronological order; Asterisk indicates that I still own it.

1962 Honda C100 Super Cub (chilling in the basement; more a display piece than a rider)*
1971 Honda CB350K (Awaiting wiring in the garage; first bike I ever owned too)*
1975 Honda CB500T (Gone a long while ago. Farewell, Brown Cow)
1975 Honda CB750K (Off riding in the wilds of Wyoming. Excellent bike)
1981 Honda C70 Passport (Grocery getter and all around fun)*
2005 Honda Metropolitan (Rebuilt from a wreck, then sold to a nice girl to get around town on)
2006 Honda VTX1300R (Handled like a lumber truck... I hated that bike)
2007 Honda 919 (Ridden often, loved much)*
2008 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Red and white. Passed on to a fellow from Sioux City)
2008 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Black and Silver. Traded in for the CB1100)
2013 Honda CB1100 (New to the stable. Much anticipated since I fell for it during the Tokyo auto show)*

Now, if Honda would only bring the new Super Cub stateside...
 
Thread starter
Rotfl...Farewell, Brown Cow...that was a weird color wasn't it? Especially the seat.What was Honda thinking there?
 
Nice collections !

I'll add my past/current list:

Past:
1973 Honda CB350G First Bike. Love/Hate happily, mostly love. Put 35,000 miles on it.
1978 Yamaha XS650 Special. First New Bike. Loved it. Fiance said 'Sell or no marriage'. Put 10,000 miles on it.
1982 Honda CX500 Custom. Bought new before the Divorce papers were even final. Put 10,000 miles on it.
1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD. Really liked this. Put 40,000 miles on it.
1984 Yamaha FJ1100 First inline 4. First distance touring Put 60,000 miles on it.
1994 (?) Honda 750 Nighthawk. Wish I never sold it. Put 35,000 miles on it.
1998 Honda VT1100 Shadow. Loved it, got Harley so it had to go. Put 60,000 miles on it.
2006 Triumph Speed Triple Wanted it to be the 70's Trident that I could not have at the time, it wasn't. Sold to make room for CB1100 Put 13,000 miles on it

Current:
1981 Yamaha XS650 Special Bought new in 1984. Will never sell while I'm alive Has 55,000 miles.
1999 Honda CBR1100XX Good distance tourer. Is my bicycle hauler. Has 75,000 miles.
2008 Harley Softail It's true, Harley is its own experience Has 10,000 miles.
2010 Honda Fury I knew I had to have one. Has 8,000 miles.
2011 Honda CBR250R Everything that my old CB350 should have been. Has become my distance tourer, small is beautiful Has 9,000 miles.
2013 Honda CB1100 Definitive air cooled inline 4 Home at last Has whopping 100 miles..
 
Current:
2013 Honda CB1100 (contemplating)
2009 Kawasaki KLR650 - 1700 miles...fun bike for street, dirt roads and easy
trails. Not good on tight trails and loose dirt with std dual sport tires.
2004 Harley Davidson Superglide - 22000 miles. Set up like a Road King. My
Touring bike... Been to Milwaukee, The Blue Ridge Pkwy., and all through
N. Georgia and Eastern N.C. Great riding up there....

Past:
2003 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster - 7000 miles... Too Buzzy.
1977 Yamaha DT250 - loved this bike... Sold it to buy a 2nd car.
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 - rode all over... great bike for the $$$.
1970 Kawasaki H1 MachIII 500 - I wish I never sold this one... needed a car.
1971 Yamaha CT175 - first bike...spent more time in the dirt vs. road.
 
ride4now_imp said:
Current:
2013 Honda CB1100 (contemplating)
2009 Kawasaki KLR650 - 1700 miles...fun bike for street, dirt roads and easy
trails. Not good on tight trails and loose dirt with std dual sport tires.
2004 Harley Davidson Superglide - 22000 miles. Set up like a Road King. My
Touring bike... Been to Milwaukee, The Blue Ridge Pkwy., and all through
N. Georgia and Eastern N.C. Great riding up there....

Past:
2003 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster - 7000 miles... Too Buzzy.
1977 Yamaha DT250 - loved this bike... Sold it to buy a 2nd car.
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 - rode all over... great bike for the $$$.
1970 Kawasaki H1 MachIII 500 - I wish I never sold this one... needed a car.
1971 Yamaha CT175 - first bike...spent more time in the dirt vs. road.
'Kawasaki 500' is another one of the 'legendary' bikes that I never got a chance to ride.

Was it as wild a ride as they say ?
 
Thread starter
furious_blue_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
Current:
2013 Honda CB1100 (contemplating)
2009 Kawasaki KLR650 - 1700 miles...fun bike for street, dirt roads and easy
trails. Not good on tight trails and loose dirt with std dual sport tires.
2004 Harley Davidson Superglide - 22000 miles. Set up like a Road King. My
Touring bike... Been to Milwaukee, The Blue Ridge Pkwy., and all through
N. Georgia and Eastern N.C. Great riding up there....

Past:
2003 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster - 7000 miles... Too Buzzy.
1977 Yamaha DT250 - loved this bike... Sold it to buy a 2nd car.
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 - rode all over... great bike for the $$$.
1970 Kawasaki H1 MachIII 500 - I wish I never sold this one... needed a car.
1971 Yamaha CT175 - first bike...spent more time in the dirt vs. road.
'Kawasaki 500' is another one of the 'legendary' bikes that I never got a chance to ride.

Was it as wild a ride as they say ?
'Kawasaki 500' is another one of the 'legendary' bikes that I never got a chance to ride.

Was it as wild a ride as they say ?

They had a powerband like a light switch, a whole bunch of nothing, then wham a whole lot of hang on....and a frame was meant for going pretty straight.

Keep in mind with the Mach 111,we are talking 60 hp at 7500 rpm whereas the CB1100 has 89 hp at the same 7500 and people consider the CB tame lol
 
Current Bikes:

2013 Honda CB1100


2006 Honda ST1300


2003 Ducati Monster 620ie


Past Bikes:

1982 Yamaha XJ1100 Maxim


2005 Triumph Sprint ST


2005 Triumph Rocket III


2010 Ducati Streetfighter S
 
Back
Top