Power Wheelie!

gretle_2.0

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey guys the other day I was just riding around and was in first gear and hit the gas and surprised myself the front tire came right up. Somewhat startled me but also made me giggle like a little school girl. Any of you guys do power wheelies on the occasion?
 
Honestly, My bike is geared up a fair bit (-1 tooth in the front, +3 on the rear) and the bike still doesn't spontaneously pick up the front end without my permission. I feel the power there and I think it definitely could, but I think i'm just softer on the throttle than all that. It really is a very moderately powered bike.
 
I haven't done a wheelie in 30 years
 
gretle_2.0_imp said:
Hey guys the other day I was just riding around and was in first gear and hit the gas and surprised myself the front tire came right up. Somewhat startled me but also made me giggle like a little school girl. Any of you guys do power wheelies on the occasion?
Once. A harley squeezed through the traffic to line up next to me at the front of the line at a stop light once. I could tell he wanted to see what I had on my CB1100, with the truck attached to the luggage rack, so I showed him. To my surprise, as I was slipping the clutch off the line the bike gradually lofted the front wheel, and it continued to rise to about 18 inches off the ground until I pulled in the clutch to catch second gear. The Harley stayed with me through first gear, but when I shifted to second (with the front tire in the air) he suddenly backed off.
 
Dave_imp said:
gretle_2.0_imp said:
Hey guys the other day I was just riding around and was in first gear and hit the gas and surprised myself the front tire came right up. Somewhat startled me but also made me giggle like a little school girl. Any of you guys do power wheelies on the occasion?
Once. A harley squeezed through the traffic to line up next to me at the front of the line at a stop light once. I could tell he wanted to see what I had on my CB1100, with the truck attached to the luggage rack, so I showed him. To my surprise, as I was slipping the clutch off the line the bike gradually lofted the front wheel, and it continued to rise to about 18 inches off the ground until I pulled in the clutch to catch second gear. The Harley stayed with me through first gear, but when I shifted to second (with the front tire in the air) he suddenly backed off.
Cool. Another "Ground Hog Day" story.
 
Thread starter
Tried to get the front end to come up again today but at las no luck :( I’m not sure if you have to chop the throttle in first to come up? I don’t even know why it came up before the other day then when I did the same thing.
 
gretle_2.0_imp said:
Tried to get the front end to come up again today but at las no luck :( I’m not sure if you have to chop the throttle in first to come up? I don’t even know why it came up before the other day then when I did the same thing.
Somewhere in this Forum there is a punk in a video who can sustain a riding wheelie on the CB1100 seemingly at will and almost forever.
 
This bike doesn't have nearly the power of my '81 GS1100 which regularly lifted the front wheel. Of course my riding style has softened a bit in forty years, too. That was a powerful bike though. And it didn't idle at 2000rpm, either.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
gretle_2.0_imp said:
Tried to get the front end to come up again today but at las no luck :( I’m not sure if you have to chop the throttle in first to come up? I don’t even know why it came up before the other day then when I did the same thing.
Somewhere in this Forum there is a punk in a video who can sustain a riding wheelie on the CB1100 seemingly at will and almost forever.
Somewhere in this Forum there is a punk in a video who can sustain a riding wheelie on the CB1100 seemingly at will and almost forever.
You can do that with just about anything. I have a video somewhere of a guy pulling a wheelie, then turning off the bike and removing the ignition key and holding it aloft while he rode the wheelie for what seemed like an indefinite period before starting the bike back up and carrying on.

You can wheelie a harley road glide and ride it like a unicycle all day. Im convinced all bikes can wheelie.
 
Ever hear of this guy? He could wheelie anything

 
He was the Wheelie King. There was a article somewhere about him wheelieing a Kawasaki KZ 1300 inline 6 cyl
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Ever hear of this guy? He could wheelie anything

No, but the documentary is interesting. :thumbsup:
No, but the documentary is interesting. :thumbsup: Is this Doug Demokos? I watched him wheelie one entire MX track lap at Unadilla New York in the mid 70's. The crowd was going wild!
 
Like to know about your prefs and experiences ... a heavier bike gives you more control in a wheelie - needed if you don't do it frequently. Don't like wheelies in 1st from a traffic light, not enough space. Wheelies are for that quiet country road, not the inner city. There you go into 2nd, rev it slowly to over 4000 rpm, and now pull the throttle ... this is where it's fun for an amateur like me ...
 
Seems like there is more than one way to do it ...
This guy is in first all the time, and hardly any rpms over 2000. Enjoy the vid !
 
Back
Top