Potential CB1100 purchase questions

cb4me?_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I was looking at picking up a dependable modern motorcycle to compliment my father's Triumph Tiger 650 that's getting a custom build in Vt right now (been there since Jan but should be done in two months) since I decided to kill my Street Triple by riding it into a tobacco field on Father's Day. Broken left ankle, dislocated right thumb, bruised ribs on left side, and bit a pretty good slice into my tongue. I'm healing but it will be awhile until I feel confident enough with my right hand to squeeze those old drum brakes on the front of the Tiger.
I loved the Street Triple so much I would just by another but the wife said "no more fast bikes". I could understand her point of view and felt it was time since I have a two year old daughter, a three year old son, and my father was killed by a guy in a Cherokee making a left turn on the first ride we got to take together a week after I got back from my honeymoon in 2013.
Was going to try to convince her a Thruxton R wasn't a fast bike but sat on one and my Triple was more comfortable. I had almost settled on a modern Bonneville but I was eyeballing my little CB350 in the garage and wondering how much I could get for it to go towards the new bike and BAM! I remembered how I loved the look of the classic CB's! Didn't they put out a modern version in that looked great in that deep red color with the silver sidecovers? Plus with the Tiger 650 why buy a Bonneville and have two of almost the same bike 44 years apart?
Now I'm hooked.
I could blow the cash on the DLX because I like the great look of the dual exhaust that adds weight and doesn't add hp but the closest dealer to me has three 2013's in stock, in the color I want (don't like the black), and I could probably get a good deal on one since he's sitting on so many of them as well as by the time I get there next spring they'll be 4 year old overstock.
I don't care about ABS and although the new gauges have more information it's not a deal breaker to me.
I'm 5ft 10in 160lbs and will be riding it on NC backroads (carefully! I don't want to be THAT intimate with tobacco again!), two lane main roads I typically drive my car at 65mph-85mph on, and a tiny stretch of I95 now and then.
Here are my questions.
Is there really a difference I might care about in the five speed compared to the six?
Will a reflash really add that much more power and quality to the ride?
Is the stock seat ok or will I have to get an aftermarket to really feel comfortable? I always got upgraded seats on my modern bikes. The DLX gel seat looks nice but the Samurider ones look really nice!
Thanks for the help and if you want some motorcycle porn I can post pics of the aforementioned bikes.
 
Folks on the forum with 5-speed CB's don't seem to rue not having the extra cog. Mine's a 6-speed and I rarely use top gear unless I'm on the freeway (70+ mph), which is infrequent. As far as seat comfort, that's highly subjective as you know. Mine is fine for me; you might hate it. I have no need for a reflash -- the 1140cc engine is plenty powerful and responsive for its intended role, but again, you may feel differently. Keep in mind this isn't a sport bike, especially if your reference point is a Speed Triple or Thruxton R. The CB is heavier, has less sophisticated (but perfectly adequate) suspension, and is tuned for torque, not peak hp. Others will share their opinions shortly. That being said, it's certainly one of my all-time favorites and the bike I usually roll out of the garage first. As far as telling your wife the CB isn't a fast bike, well, it is plenty fast. Good luck with your decision and be careful out there.
 
I have a DLX because of the looks, but honestly, here in the foothills of NC I rarely ever use the 6th gear. I prefer twisty hilly back roads. You'll be happy with either a STD or a DLX.
 
I don't mean to be condescending, but reading between the lines it doesn't sound to me as if you are really ready to settle down yet. Any motorcycle over 250cc is fast enough to put you in a tobacco field again, that wasn't speed, that was riding over your head. The CB can be ridden sanely but so could a street triple. The right wrist and brain control all of that.

The CB is a great motorcycle, easy to ride, great brakes, more than decent handling, but it is up to you to keep it out of the fields.
 
Is there really a difference I might care about in the five speed compared to the six?
The six is much smoother at highway speeds and generally gets better fuel mileage.

Will a reflash really add that much more power and quality to the ride?
Some more power. Quality is subjective. Not sure why you would be concerned about it this, though. The bike is quick enough as is, especially for someone committed to riding it "carefully".

Is the stock seat ok or will I have to get an aftermarket to really feel comfortable? I always got upgraded seats on my modern bikes. The DLX gel seat looks nice but the Samurider ones look really nice!
Comfort is subjective. I like my stock seat well enough to only give the occsional look at the various aftermarket seat threads on the forum. I suggest riding the bike for a few months before to see how you like the stock seat and, if you decide to look to the aftermarket, look back to the forum for opinions.

It's a great bike.
 
I totally agree. The bike you pick is only the tool. You are the operator. Whether it's a CB or another bike they are all fast enough to get into trouble. Sounds like you've had some rough times. So sorry to hear all the bad news. The CB is great. I came off a Z1000 and yes the CB1100 slowed me down a bit but nevertheless I find myself pushing the limits of the CB when the opportunity arises. I find that I still try and ride this one like my last bike. Just be careful with whatever bike you pick and use common sense. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Like many here on the forum, you have been drawn to a motorcycle that can be adapted to many riding styles and cosmetic preferences. This a bias audience, but everyone here who has bought one loves it!

I bought a 2013 for the red color and don't feel the 5 speed transmission is a deal breaker. I went one tooth higher on the front chain sprocket and love the results. I also replaced my seat with a Corbin version, but you will get varied opinions here on which aftermarket seat is best or if it's even necessary.

Finally, there are lots of accessories and ways to make this model into your own vision. I even installed the DLX exhaust on my 2013 standard because I liked that look so much. Money is the only limit to your desires. Good luck with your research and let us know where you land with your purchase decision.
 
On my '13, I installed a 19T front sprocket (plus 1) and a 38T rear sprocket (-1) and it decreased highway RPM by 400. I do not miss a 6th gear at all. I also installed a K&H seat for longer rides as well as a broad range of other accessories to evoke more of a classic 80's look and feel. Ron from MO is 100% correct. There are many accessories available to Taylor the CB to your performance, comfort and style needs. Please be safe regardless what route you choose.
653821acf92e4ab88423be2deb0f2229.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
I don't mean to be condescending, but reading between the lines it doesn't sound to me as if you are really ready to settle down yet. Any motorcycle over 250cc is fast enough to put you in a tobacco field again, that wasn't speed, that was riding over your head. The CB can be ridden sanely but so could a street triple. The right wrist and brain control all of that.

The CB is a great motorcycle, easy to ride, great brakes, more than decent handling, but it is up to you to keep it out of the fields.

When you start a statement with that in my opinion it means you ARE going to be condescending and you were.
I know why I crashed and know how I will ride from now on.
I appreciate your attempt at giving me some useful information but it also reminded me why I don't like to participate in forums because there is always somebody who assumes they more about you than you.
Thanks to everybody else for their participation as well. Lots of great information.
 
I generally allow comments like the above to be addressed by the person who made the offending comment, but I'm going to chime in here to give my summary of The Ferret's comment: The CB1100 is a great bike, but it is a "fast bike", at least it's fast enough to get any rider into trouble. Any bike, even a Grom, is a "fast bike" if it is ridden aggressively. Buy the bike that you like, that fits your ergonomics and purpose, and ride it within your limits.
 
Hey my apologies if you were offended, and you're right, I don't know you.... other than by going on how you described yourself. You say you ran off the road and totalled your current bike, that you have 2 little kids, that your wife doesn't want you to have a fast bike. Then you say you don't want a DLX because the extra pipe adds weight but not HP, and ask if a reflash make a CB1100 faster and that you will be riding on 2 lane country roads you normally drive your car 65-85 on. Personally I think your wife has reason to worry.

Not saying anything to you I wouldn't say to my own 37 year old son, who rides and has 2 little kids. Come to think of it, I'd be a lot tougher on my son.

edit: and to be technically accurate a reflash will not give the bike any more power, it will still have 88 hp or whatever. What a reflash does is remove rev limitations in lower gears and removes the top speed limiter so instead of being able to run 112 a reflashed CB will run in the neighborhood of 135 mph.
 
Nobody on any forum can answer if this would be the right bike for you or not. If you really liked the last bike then stay with that type of bike and learn from the last incident. You know what happened so probably wouldn't do the same again I would hope. If your looking for a complete change then maybe the CB might do it. Go with what your heart tells you, not your wife. You need to be confident and comfortable and within your limits.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Like uscgmac said, "Within your limits" is the operative phrase here. Since you got yourself in trouble before with a 'fast bike'- enough that your wife is concerned, and you drive 85 on two lane roads, I don't think you're mature enough to ride ANY motorcycle. So please don't buy a CB until you grow up a little bit more.
 
I realize your wife said it and not you, but all bikes are fast enough to kill you.

I think what she meant was she didn't want you to be driving too fast for road conditions, and that's not up to the bike, only you.
 
Some bikes seem to encourage fast riding (e.g. my Griso) and other bikes seem to encourage enjoying the sights and ride (e.g. my CB1100). That said, the CB does have a rebellious personality once the revs get up there and that may be too tempting.

I used to have a '77 CJ360T and kinda yearn for it today. I'd recommend your CB350 for now - too keep some of the stress off your wife.

The trouble with Internet advise, it's given with a very limited data set then some folks get all upset because an answer is given based on this limited data set. I suspect you all ready know what you want to do; life is short, go for it. If your wife won't give you too hard a time. :D
 
Thread starter
Once again, thanks for all the advice.
Appreciate the additional words as well, Ferret.
My wife's input is important. The worst thing about the wipeout was having to make that phonecall by the side of the road my wife has feared every time I went out to ride since my Dad left us. I was grateful I COULD since nobody passed by the whole time I waited for her to come get me or when me and a couple friends loaded the bike on the trailer later. If I had been hurt worse and could not have been physically able to make the call I could've laid there for a long time.
It was my own fault. It was the first ride in NC on that bike as well as my first ride on that bike of the season. I had planned on taking it easy as I didn't know the roads but when I got into the right turn I got jazzed from being out on that bike and powered out of the turn. I hadn't expected the left to come up as fast but there it was! A stupid mistake that could have cost me everything. I tried to run it out in the field but the drainage ruts next to the roads down here flipped me over before I could even get into the field. The dry soil was so soft if you stepped in it your foot would sink about four inches. I couldn't have landed on anything better other than a bed of feathers!
I feel fortunate. However, I did land right next to a drainage pipe running under the road surrounded by head sized rocks. So close I could have easily reached out and touched those rocks with my hand. Had I landed on them I could've been hurt much more or killed.
I'm looking to slow down on a motorcycle but still feel the joy as well as still having a reliable, pushbutton start, fuel injected motorcycle I don't have to worry about running the float bowls dry considering how long it could sit between rides. I had planned to ride the rebuilt Triumph lightly considering it was my Dad's and it's very special to me to be able to have it built like we wanted to do together.
I'm not a Harley type bike guy so no cruiser for me although I DID go and sit on a Lowrider S but it felt like a big pig.
I love the look of the CB and figure how differently it will feel compared to the Triple and my state of mind will contribute to a slower pace. It also looks like a bike I won't really want to alter very much but the reflash sounds tempting and definitely tank pads!
We'll see. I am hyped on getting it but will get a couple rides on the Triumph before I pull the trigger.
Maybe I'll post again in the spring after I've made the 5 hour drive out there. Hope I don't look like too much of a rube pulling in with an empty trailer. Until then, happy and healthy days to you all.
Bikeporn...
This was my favorite picture even before he was gone. We did a quick ride before work that day and took the picture with a timer on top of a low fencepost.


Not done yet. Still needs the correct bars, fenders chopped, and paint. That's the two up seat but a custom café racer seat was started a couple weeks ago.
[url=http://s116.photobucket.com/user/03svrider/media/dads650_zpswbj3nx2b.jpg.html]

The lil ripper. A truly authentic ride.
[url=http://s116.photobucket.com/user/03svrider/media/IMG_0742_zpsg3yd2ft3.jpg.html]

RIP

[url=http://s116.photobucket.com/user/03svrider/media/IMG_2260.jpg.html]
 
I know what I'd do.

I'd cherish that Triumph and ride it in honor of my dad every day and not let anything come between us. Any other motorcycle is just a conveyance by comparison, even a CB1100. Your dad's Triumph is timeless and something I hope you can allow yourself to enjoy fully, and then be fortunate enough to pass on to your kids when the time comes. It'll do anything a modern bike can do, and then some. It's just up to you.

When I was 13 my uncle bought me a brand new '73 CB350G, identical to the one in your photo, only it was purple, not orange. It's long gone, but I guess it'll always be "my Triumph."
 
The ferret_imp said:
I don't mean to be condescending, but reading between the lines it doesn't sound to me as if you are really ready to settle down yet. Any motorcycle over 250cc is fast enough to put you in a tobacco field again, that wasn't speed, that was riding over your head. The CB can be ridden sanely but so could a street triple. The right wrist and brain control all of that.

The CB is a great motorcycle, easy to ride, great brakes, more than decent handling, but it is up to you to keep it out of the fields.
+1

I just sold mine, but there is a guy in Southern Pines with a nice 2013 with maybe 2000 miles on it (I can't remember) selling it on Craigslist. I almost bought it, but ended up getting a Deluxe instead. If you are interested and can't find the ad, PM me and I'll find his contact info for you. I think we negotiated a price around $6K.
 
Honda Lover_imp said:
On my '13, I installed a 19T front sprocket (plus 1) and a 38T rear sprocket (-1) and it decreased highway RPM by 400. I do not miss a 6th gear at all. I also installed a K&H seat for longer rides as well as a broad range of other accessories to evoke more of a classic 80's look and feel. Ron from MO is 100% correct. There are many accessories available to Taylor the CB to your performance, comfort and style needs. Please be safe regardless what route you choose.
653821acf92e4ab88423be2deb0f2229.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey Honda Lover,,,
What windshield is that on your bike?
 
Back
Top