Potential Buyer

HellFishTat_imp said:
Motorcycle Ergonomics



Even as old and fat as I am, I don't really experience any issues with this riding position even after 4-6hrs in saddle. I do get a little neck pain from the wind blast, but I'd have that on a CB1100 as well
I added GenMar pullback risers to my CB1100 EX for a much more straight up position which is more comfortable for my back.
 
It is an air-cooled wonder, with nothing on it to really go wrong. Ride it as much as you can ... it will last longer than you will.
 
jitaylor_imp said:
It is an air-cooled wonder, with nothing on it to really go wrong. Ride it as much as you can ... it will last longer than you will.
Well said. The exact reason why l bought my new leftover 2014 black beauty. The fact that it was almost half of the original MSRP was icing on the cake. I am riding it bone stock and loving every minute of it.
 
What I like with my CB is mostly written above in other posts. It always feels fed up and well balanced whenever I ride it and don't force me to ride fast. It's a joy to cruise around at speeds somewhere between 60 and 120km/h, if you want to always in 5th gear without the bike feeling to be in an inadaquate one. It pulls right from the idle. Some find this kind of inline 4 boring, not entertaining enough but I like the often mentioned smoothness and in a way calmness without being weak.

Wisedrum
 
Mine just turned 500 miles and I ABSOLUTELY love this thing! In my garage I’ve got a gorgeous ZR-1 Corvette and a bitchin little SS Nova Convertible but I can’t remember when was the last time I bought something that I was as excited about as I am with this bike! Anybody that was undecided in the past would be number s not I get one for basically half price.
 
Thread starter
tnelson99_imp said:
I own many bikes and I must say every time I get on this bike I'm amazed how smooth and effortless it is to ride. The engine feels very under stressed and most of the time I forget what gear I'm in because you barely feel any vibrations.

I have the black 14 and I'm always having people asking me about the bike. I wouldn't say it draws a crowd but I was at a vintage bike show last weekend and there was always someone checking it out.

The bike has more than enough power for me. Shifting is almost optional on it. I've only been over 100 once just because I wanted to see if it was limited but over 100 isn't much fun on a naked bike IMO.

For the price I paid (under $7k new) it's hard to beat.
https://www.sportcycles.com/default...ar&d=D&year=2014&fr=xNewInventory

I could get one. still on the fence
 
HellFishTat_imp said:
tnelson99_imp said:
I own many bikes and I must say every time I get on this bike I'm amazed how smooth and effortless it is to ride. The engine feels very under stressed and most of the time I forget what gear I'm in because you barely feel any vibrations.

I have the black 14 and I'm always having people asking me about the bike. I wouldn't say it draws a crowd but I was at a vintage bike show last weekend and there was always someone checking it out.

The bike has more than enough power for me. Shifting is almost optional on it. I've only been over 100 once just because I wanted to see if it was limited but over 100 isn't much fun on a naked bike IMO.

For the price I paid (under $7k new) it's hard to beat.
https://www.sportcycles.com/default...ar&d=D&year=2014&fr=xNewInventory

I could get one. still on the fence
https://www.sportcycles.com/default...ar&d=D&year=2014&fr=xNewInventory

I could get one. still on the fence
I bought mine at Sport Cycle and so did at least one other member on here. They do not add any fees, I got Out of there for ~6900, an awesome deal in my opinion.
 
A contrarian's view
CB1100 is a very special motorcycle. It's most important distinguishing characteristic is that it is, and will probably remain, the last air cooled inline four.

One might - or might not - believe that for something I will call a "serious motorcycle", for a number of reasons, anything less then four cylinders is simply an antiquated motorcycle design. I respect the difference of opinion, but have nothing much to offer to those that do not share this view.

However, when it comes to air cooling, things are not so simple.

Given today's exhaust emission requirements and power/mass ratio expectations, air cooling is not the best engineering option. Liquid cooling will result in additional mechanical complexity and the presence of an ugly radiator, but it will result in a design that will better meet contemporary exhaust emission requirements, will result in more kilowatts per kilogram of vehicle mass and it will result in a vehicle that is more capable to deal with modern stop-and-go urban traffic.

So, the first question anyone considering this motorcycle must ask himself or herself is this:

Am I sufficiently attracted to the esthetics and the design philosophy of an air-cooled motorcycle to tolerate the downsides of such design?

If your answer is "no", look elsewhere. If it is yes, re-read all the answers above.

BTW, if you believe a two-cylinder engine is also a reasonable choice and are not put off by increased noise and vibrations, the number of your options will increase substantially.
 
Also a one cylinder is a reasonable motorbike.
It's all about how you define reasonable.
As long as a motorbike has two wheels, an engine, an aircooled one in my case, a frame and most likely an attractive outlook, nowadays hard to find, it is reasonable for me. It's that simple without alternatives. Enginewise I don't like to cut myself short. Each concept has its own charme.

The CB fits these criterias. Engine power?
Not bad if it has some but not really necessary, it works the way it works and enjoys the way it is.

Wisedrum
 
Thread starter
I'm still on the fence. I LOVE the look of the bike, and I remember all my CB750's as fun bikes with plenty of power, athough not nearly enough enough suspension (aside from the the CB750F which had Hagon shocks and upgraded springs in the front forks)
 
Quote: The biggest regrets in life are the things you didn't do. there is that.

but I've read...

Most folks regret not becoming the person they wanted to be.

I kinda had that in my brain when I bought my bike though. Its a little different equation when you get mid 60's. I did feel like I needed to get down with it. Looks was a definite factor.

I'm not all that enamored by the bike (014 Dlx) though. The suspension is kinda harsh. If I had known I might have considered an 017 but I'm not a fan of spokes or buying new. Not quite ready to spring (no pun) for new forks. :D Do I regret it? Nope.

What's a motorcyclist to do? Try things.

I figure I'm lucky I've got this first world problem.
 
I am very happy i purchased my CB1100 and out of probably 50 bikes i have owned in my life only two stand out that i wish i did not buy.
the two are a New BMW R1200R ABS which i hated the seat riding two up and could not get around that so i sold it for a great loss
the other one is an XL650R which was just to tall for me.
So many i wish i never sold and that is why i balked at selling my CB 1100 and will keep it just so i do not miss it when it is gone.
Loved my two hayabusa's but they were not comfortable and i lacked self control yet i miss them both. am ecstatic over my Valkyrie GL1800C and wish it was more pleasing to the eye but the smooth ride is the finest ever and has made long rides fun again , a keeper for sure
 
Thread starter
use2b_imp said:
I am very happy i purchased my CB1100 and out of probably 50 bikes i have owned in my life only two stand out that i wish i did not buy.
the two are a New BMW R1200R ABS which i hated the seat riding two up and could not get around that so i sold it for a great loss
the other one is an XL650R which was just to tall for me.
So many i wish i never sold and that is why i balked at selling my CB 1100 and will keep it just so i do not miss it when it is gone.
Loved my two hayabusa's but they were not comfortable and i lacked self control yet i miss them both. am ecstatic over my Valkyrie GL1800C and wish it was more pleasing to the eye but the smooth ride is the finest ever and has made long rides fun again , a keeper for sure
That’s the other thing. The dealer in Rockingham has left over stock 2104 Valkyrie’s for less than $9500
 
rotor_imp said:
A contrarian's view
CB1100 is a very special motorcycle. It's most important distinguishing characteristic is that it is, and will probably remain, the last air cooled inline four.

One might - or might not - believe that for something I will call a "serious motorcycle", for a number of reasons, anything less then four cylinders is simply an antiquated motorcycle design. I respect the difference of opinion, but have nothing much to offer to those that do not share this view.

However, when it comes to air cooling, things are not so simple.

Given today's exhaust emission requirements and power/mass ratio expectations, air cooling is not the best engineering option. Liquid cooling will result in additional mechanical complexity and the presence of an ugly radiator, but it will result in a design that will better meet contemporary exhaust emission requirements, will result in more kilowatts per kilogram of vehicle mass and it will result in a vehicle that is more capable to deal with modern stop-and-go urban traffic.

So, the first question anyone considering this motorcycle must ask himself or herself is this:

Am I sufficiently attracted to the esthetics and the design philosophy of an air-cooled motorcycle to tolerate the downsides of such design?

If your answer is "no", look elsewhere. If it is yes, re-read all the answers above.

BTW, if you believe a two-cylinder engine is also a reasonable choice and are not put off by increased noise and vibrations, the number of your options will increase substantially.
A Ducati 90 degree twin is a smoother engine than an in-line 4, even 4s with flat plane crankshafts. I love my CB1100 EX and have had numerous in-line 4 cylinder bikes, but a well engineered 90 degree twin is a very smooth running engine. At high rpm the Honda is far buzzier than my Multistrada.
 
Back
Top