Potential Buyer

Thread starter
Nortoon.

I'm 55 1/2 so I understand what your saying. The BMW R1200S attacts a similar age range, but more ex-sport riders who want some performance with a more relaxed riding position.
 
HellFishTat_imp said:
Nortoon.

I'm 55 1/2 so I understand what your saying. The BMW R1200S attacts a similar age range, but more ex-sport riders who want some performance with a more relaxed riding position.
Sounds like a good choice. Has the retro appeal, more pep, less weight.

There are so many pictures of different R1200S models it is hard to judge the riding position. I am 6'2" tall and added GenMar pull back risers to my CB1100 EX for a more straight up ride.
 
Thread starter
Motorcycle Ergonomics



Even as old and fat as I am, I don't really experience any issues with this riding position even after 4-6hrs in saddle. I do get a little neck pain from the wind blast, but I'd have that on a CB1100 as well
 
The R1200S lives on a different planet than the CB1100. There should be no misconception. On a spirited ride, these bikes are nowhere comparable. I owned an '01 R1100S and it too would not be comparable in any measure of real world performance to a CB. The CB is considerably smoother, softer and heavier than either R-S. Eyes wide open.
 
I’m 31, live (basically) in the mountains, come from riding sport bikes and dirt bikes and find the CB1100 awesome. The bike can definitely be ridden fast very well, if you know how to ride fast. I have found absolute harmony negotiating sweepers in the Western North Carolina mountains with this motorcycle. It is incredibly comfortable and sounds great with a slip on. From 3500-7000 RPM is the area where I love to ride in, but there’s some guys here that have a blast never going above 3500 RPM! This bike pleases a wide number of people. The bike is fast, plenty fast. I don’t want to hear comparisons of sport bikes and other big daddy sport tourers because those are also fast but are EXTRA fast. Honestly I don’t even know what your original question was at this point I just wanted to address the fact that the bike is fast enough for a whipper snapper like me. I love the extra weight, it’s nice to play on the interstate now and then and not get tossed around.

I have 2700 miles on mine since I purchased in April. Yesterday I did a 6.5 hour 300 mile ride with some breaks and lunch on 226, Blue Ridge Park way and some secret roads in south mountain state park in NC. It was one of the most pleasing and rhythmic rides I’ve ever done.

I reread the thread. I don’t agree with the “cruiser” notion. At all. I find the CB to be a comfortable sport standard that is heavy enough to tour on and ride the interstate long distances. The internet has a funny way of morphing opinions. Rear the YouTube comments of videos on CB1100s, it’s full of internet warriors saying the bike is slow. The CB rides how you make it ride. If you want to fart around town, then that’s what it wants to do. If you want to ring up the Inline four and rip the mountains in second gear, then it also does that.( Albeit that it will do it a lot better with a few dollars in mods)
 
HellFishTat_imp said:
I do. Another bad idea from my early 30’s
:worship:

I am what you would call a mega fan, I used to have a shrine in my basement (mid 20s as I am a bit younger than you).
 
Thread starter
I am going to wait until mid August when the CB1000R hits the dealers.

I love the look of the CB1100, but really don’t think I would be happy with 88HP and the limited lean angle.

If I wanted more than one motorcycle (and I’ve owned three at one time not to long ago) I’d get the CB and keep the R1200s
 
The CB is a "typical" UJM. Only much better than the older models. Stiffer frame, EFI, better QC. Really well built. I've said this many times; my Moto Guzzi Griso is my Boss 302 Mustang, my CB is a nice Buick. Very easy to ride around town (and on the road - but I prefer the motor of the Guzzi on the open road), just dang easy to ride. She does not encourage the 16 year old to come out (like the Griso) but she will get up and hum if you start playing in the upper rpm range. But you don't buy a Buick to race, a bit of sport touring, but mostly for getting about in some comfort. Same with the CB.

The 2017 has more sporting potential so that is the one I'd steer you towards if you still have that itch. But frankly, a more focused bike would make more sense for that. For all around riding and commuting the CB is an excellent choice.

But like several others have pointed out, you really need to test ride one. It's not for everyone (this is even more true of Guzzi's, but that is another story :D ).

I'd have more miles on mine (and planned to when I bought it) but I have two other bikes, dogs, other hobbies, house and wife. I should get down to one or two bikes - but I can't seem to do that. :)

Sidebar: When the bikes first came out; I noticed on the forum here that several folks sold them rather quickly - just not enough poop and they scraped the pegs too easily. Seduced by the looks; but they simply bought the wrong bike for their riding habits. Now I see more of them being sold off after 4-5 years of ownership. Some got the 2017, but most seem to have moved on to something else. They had their long drink and feel it's time to sample something else. I'm still hanging on to mine. The Griso, probably not.
 
I own many bikes and I must say every time I get on this bike I'm amazed how smooth and effortless it is to ride. The engine feels very under stressed and most of the time I forget what gear I'm in because you barely feel any vibrations.

I have the black 14 and I'm always having people asking me about the bike. I wouldn't say it draws a crowd but I was at a vintage bike show last weekend and there was always someone checking it out.

The bike has more than enough power for me. Shifting is almost optional on it. I've only been over 100 once just because I wanted to see if it was limited but over 100 isn't much fun on a naked bike IMO.

For the price I paid (under $7k new) it's hard to beat.
 
Back
Top