Potential Buyer

HellFishTat_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello everyone.

I am considering buying a CB1100. When Honda first announced this model, I wanted to, and planned on purchasing one.

Once the specifications for the bike came out, I had second thoughts.

I have owned several CB's in my 30+ years of riding. My first bike was a '85 CB700SC. I loved that bike (as everyone does their first motorcycle). I got it in the spring of 1986. In the next 3 years, I put over 48,000 miles on it. In 1989 I sold the 700 and purchased (from my brother) a 1976 BMW R90S. I kept that bike for 2 years before selling it back to him. I was in my late 20's and wanted something newer/faster.

In the subsequent decades I have owned several motorcycles; 3x CB750s (2K, 1F), a VT1100C3, BMW K100RS, Honda ST1300, BMW R1100s, HD 1200 Sportster, 1998 VFR 800 (my all time favorite motorcycle, I don't know why I sold it) and a 2007 BMW R1200S (my current ride) for the past 3 years.

For some reason, I am still drawn to the CB1100.

Looking at this forum the past few day, I see a lot of people who own them who seem to only rack up a few hundred miles a year on them. Over the past decade, I have averaged 15,000 miles a year on motorcycle and I was wondering why no one seems to ride them this much.

I don't know if these motorcycle draw people who don't use them as their primary means of transportation, or if it's just not a big mileage eater.

I love the look of the bike. I can get a NOS 2014 from a local dealer for less than $7000, but it's not a deluxe or newer model with the larger tank.

Beside my typical commute of a few miles to work, I usually get out Saturday and Sunday for about 100-170 miles a time. Mostly backroads, well above the posted speed limit.

Is there anyone out there that uses their CB1100 for that type of riding?

Sub 100hp and over 500lbs has me worried that it's just a UJM cruiser. The reviews that I've read online seem to reinforce that notion.

I can't find anything online in the realm of performance modification beyond exhaust and ECU mods. Am I missing anything? The fact that the original CB1100 had 120 HP and the new one's have less than 90HP has me second quessing buying one.
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum

The CB is a great motorcycle, hard to fault you for wanting one.

However there are also some terrific deals on leftover VFR 800's ...just sayin'
 
Welcome to the Forum, here's my thoughts on the mileage thing, I think a couple hundred miles a year is way low, if you notice the signatures here, most of the members have multiple motorcycles and likely spread the miles around. I think I probably ride less than most people here and I rode 1000 miles last year. Either way you can't go wrong with a CB or most other offerings out there. Good luck and enjoy your search for a new ride. Let us know how it goes !!
 
Hi HFT,

My commute is 20 miles to work and I've been averaging 2 days a week on the CB since I got mine new in the spring. I also average about 400 miles a month on the weekends on it. 3.5 K total so far, and I'd expect that I'll have at least another 3K before it gets too cold in these parts this year. I'm 6' and 185, and I don't find it wanting for HP or torque at all, but I'm rather tame in my riding. I'm trying to remember ferret's quote. Something about bad lines slowly.... I suspect that it's more true in my case than his, but I'm no speed demon. Really though, I'd be surprised if you found the CB1100 lacking in power. To my mind at least, the VFR is an entirely different bike.... If "UJM" is a dirty word for you, the CB is sort of a poster child for that term.

If there is any chance you can ride one, that'd probably tell the tale for you.
 
Miles wise it sounds like you are in a warmer climate than some of us may be?

It also sounds like you may ride more spirited and faster than many of us.

That being said- the CB can be made faster but you will spend money to do it. Same with better suspension.

You have to love the look of the bike, matched with the riding position to sink the money into it.
 
Hi there HellFish. I am coming up on one year of ownership with my CB1100 (my first proper street bike, I’m 28). About to roll over 14,000 miles on it, so should be on track for my 15k/year goal that I have set for myself. I can confidently say that if you are drawn towards this motorcycle, and have the desire to ride the crap out of it, it will not let you down. Sure there are touring bikes that are better suited for the job, but for 300-400 mile rides here and there, the CB1100 truly shines.
 
I have four bikes currently and put about 10,000 miles on them per year total. I live in the Rockies at 8000' and my riding season is relatively short, only about 4-5 months/year. I ride my CB similar to how you describe -- weekend day rides, mostly 300-400 mile loops, usually with breakfast as the destination. I avoid freeways like the plague and prefer to enjoy our numerous mountain passes and curvy high-country backroads instead (but I tend to obey speed limits). For this type of riding, the CB is a delight. It has plenty of juice, even at 14,000', and handles fine, though I agree it's a supreme "UJM cruiser" (I call it "my Harley"). I wouldn't get too hung up on the spec sheet. The CB is a nicely engineered jewel of a motorcycle that has plenty of kahunas. But I do agree with Ferret too -- you can get a smoking deal on a leftover '14!Interceptor, which would run rings around a CB1100, but perhaps not be as delightful. YMMV.
 
G’day HellFish. Welcome to the forum.

There’s a few of us who try to get out and about a bit. I managed 13,000 miles last year, a lot of it touring over a number of days and weeks. While I’m sure there are better bikes for it, the CB1100 is more than equal to the task. There’s no reason not to rack up lots of miles on one if you like it and are minded to. For my purposes, it’s powerful enough; again, that’s a matter of preference.

Tommymck is right: the best thing would be take one for a ride and see how you find it.
 
For the record one of our members has over 100,000 miles on his CB, another 85.000 and quite a few of us in the 40,000 mile group. I ride a little over 25,000 miles a year but split it between a CB and a dedicated sport tourer.
 
I’ve put 44,300 and change on my 14 in less than 3 years. Still running as if it were new. One chain and a few sets of tires is all I’ve replaced.
Oh, and 1 air filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I just bought a new leftover 2014 standard l call the black beauty. Everywhere l stop for gas, food, or a cold drink people are drawn to it and ask me about the bike. Most riders recall a muscle bike in their past that this bike reminds them of. For me l had a KZ 1000 back in high school and the CB 1100 brings back all those fond memories every time l twist the throttle. I have owned over 30 bikes in the past 45 years and my new CB has me smiling from ear to ear each time l ride it. Sure there are better bikes out there for this or that type of riding but overall you can't go wrong with the CB 1100. Plenty of smooth power with decent suspension that has preload adjustability and awesome brakes. Go for it.
 
Had 2013 (55000 km), and now have 2104 (23000 km)...NFF and keep riding trouble free. Cannot go wrong with the CB.
Good luck
 
Thread starter
Thanks all.

I wish I could find a used on at a dealer that would let me ride. If any of you are close to Raleigh, NC and would like to help me out, I'll gladly hand over the keys to my R1200s and we can run out to Chatham/Alamance County for a few hours.
 
As far as riding hard in the mountains, she holds her own. She has enough low end grunt to pull well out of the corners. She is set up pretty soft from the factory so you will need to stiffen the front and I recommend new shocks for the rear if you enjoy spirited riding. Ground clearance is pretty good after addressing the rear.
 
I would say your description of it being a 'UJM cruiser' isn't far off. That's not a pejorative, just somewhat accurate. Unlike a pure cruiser, however, the CB is capable of quite spirited riding, and with a few mods, its carving and touring capabilities are pretty darn good.

But the CB is an emotional buy. If it floats your aesthetic boat, for $7K, it's hard to beat.
 
Capo_imp said:
I would say your description of it being a 'UJM cruiser' isn't far off. That's not a pejorative, just somewhat accurate. Unlike a pure cruiser, however, the CB is capable of quite spirited riding, and with a few mods, its carving and touring capabilities are pretty darn good.

But the CB is an emotional buy. If it floats your aesthetic boat, for $7K, it's hard to beat.
yep, that's pretty much the summary. it underperforms as a sport bike, and really can't be judged as one. it cruises well, but unlike a cruiser can be revv'd and is much more maneuverable than most cruisers in its engine class. the CB11 is right in the middle of all the established preconceptions about what a motorcycle is supposed to be.

It's for this very reason that I've always considered it a perfect commuter bike. the OP mentioned that it doesn't seem like many people use it as a daily rider, and I don't really think that's true. I, personally , use it as my sole means of transportation, putting around 12k on it annually, as well as taking road trips and other activities. It does "everything" well, almost nothing poorly (except offroad i guess? lol) and it doesn't do anything perfectly.

I guess the conclusion i'm coming to is that it isn't the right bike for a rider that wants their bike to do any one thing perfectly. It can't keep up with a VFR, it isn't as smooth as a 'wing or a big BMer, and it's mechanically inferior to other modern standards like the CB1000r. However, it's half the price of all those things. You can get them brand new as low as 6k. try to buy a bike this good (brand new from a dealership) anywhere for 6k, and you'll fail. that's what makes it such a unique buy in my mind.
 
Thread starter
I am not using UJM as a negative, but I do use "cruiser" as a negative.

I don't need 175hp to be happy, the R1200s is (at the crank) 125hp and 78 ftlbs of torque and it's a sub 500 lb bike.

Will it power wheelie, he** yes. Is it faster than I would ever ride it, he** yes.

My ideal riding is twisty backroads where you can help wear the chicken strip on the edges of the tyres. I don't like spending $300 on a set of tyres and only using the center 50%.
 
If your view the Average CB1100 Age Poll you will see 68% of the forum members are 46 years of age and older. I am sure that like me a lot of these mature riders were drawn to CB1100 because of it retro motorcycle looks. It is not designed as a modern sport bike, touring motorcycle or cruiser, but as a 70s and 80s UJM Honda CB. However like the motorcycles of that era it can be used for all these riding styles.

I am retired and my CB1100 is only used for pleasure rides. I don't commute or ride in the city, as I live in a modern suburb with everything I need here. Cottage country is my playground of quiet, hilly and curvy roads. Although I have time, I usually only ride once a week about 400 to 500 kilometers (250 to 300 miles). Despite a 6 month riding season, I average 11,000 (6835 miles). This year being the exception because of extreme weather conditions. Hopefully we will have a long and decent fall.

Honda designed the CB1100 with everyday usable torque rather that wasted mega horsepower. The ride is easy in any gear. In most of my daily rides I chuckle when I see it loafing around the 3000 RPM mark. But when I have to pass, it does it with ease.

I expect this 1140cc 4-cylinder motorcycle will easily last well over 100,000 kilometers given that is a Honda and designed to be less stressed. I am currently looking to purchase an SUV and am surprized at the number of them with 4-cylinder engines not much bigger than the CBs.

If possible try a test ride on a CB. It should not take long to see why so many of us enjoy the ride whether enthusiastically sweeping the corners or just cruising through the country scenery.
 
Back
Top