Possible CB1100X coming ...

The ferret_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
tod.branko_imp said:
I was reading an article about this when I woke up earlier, and I doubt that these renders are correct for one reason only, and that is (correct me if I'm wrong) CB has only ever been a twin cyl in the 400ss, and I think I'd rather see a 650/4 or a 1000/4 in this kind of a sport touring set-up.

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Maybe coupled with the "Baby AT" rumor, the CB1100X won't be an 1100. It could use the fabled 850 cc version of the mill.
Maybe coupled with the "Baby AT" rumor, the CB1100X won't be an 1100. It could use the fabled 850 cc version of the mill. Could be, but this sport touring setup reminds me of the CB4X concept from some time ago. I reckon it's the same bike only more of a production model, and that indeed was a 650/4
cd7d5e8ce1b2a7fa28bd0a64cd60f394.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed

I want to like it, I really do. It is just that I like my women and motorcycles with smooth beautiful rounded shapes and no angles.

This bike is ONLY angle, except for wheels and exhaust. Sorry, I pass.
I test rode a 1050 Tiger when they came out, and yes, it was a wonderful bike. But even back 13 years ago, my foot kept getting snagged by the seat as I climbed over it. I had Triumph Sprints before, and would have bought one of them otherwise.
I test rode a 1050 Tiger when they came out, and yes, it was a wonderful bike. But even back 13 years ago, my foot kept getting snagged by the seat as I climbed over it. I had Triumph Sprints before, and would have bought one of them otherwise. It is definitely an excellent motor, in my humble opinion much better suited for the Tiger than it is for the Speed Triple, it's perfectly predictable and eager to get going, sounds pretty nice, too

As for the getting on the bike,
I'm 6ft with a pair of pretty long slim legs, so I won't pretend that I understand the issues of getting in the saddle that many people have. Also the fact that I ride dirt bikes made the "foot on the peg and skip over" technique something of a motoric stereotype for me, so I use if with almost every motorcycle I've ever ridden - short of cruisers. Then again, people built similarly to myself often have other issues with ergonomics, such as an excessive bend in the knees, short reach to the bars etc. Nobody and nothing is perfect

And I love sharing pics, so here are a few of my Tiger for reference
82d99f9843e85af838b94ee0d0529a92.jpg
5f9deb9db3cc661fb59dff9fef6a7d15.jpg
837ebf11713407bd7f0ce83b7528f569.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
Kinda hard for manufacturers to build motorcycles that will ergonomically fit both of these guys, but believe it or not they both ride CB 1100's

bc3f9006d063f16c1d419864d4f53b05.jpg
Kinda hard for manufacturers to build motorcycles that will ergonomically fit both of these guys, but believe it or not they both ride CB 1100's

956c1d4303b203e06e5ab1ed983f5a1d.jpg
I have no doubt they are both very comfortable with their CB1100s

'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
The point of this picture is to ask if there were any benefits to the high rear seat.
I can't think of any except the possible loss of rear suspension travel, by an inch or two at the most. I just don't see any benefit, and lots of problems it causes.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
The point of this picture is to ask if there were any benefits to the high rear seat.
I can't think of any except the possible loss of rear suspension travel, by an inch or two at the most. I just don't see any benefit, and lots of problems it causes.
I am not a designer, nor an engineer, but more than happy to speculate!
19d7375cd4be10839175d79e0b237b2f.png
ae91c0adba8ba7afccdf7b9fab8b90a3.png
e782ca4b9bcb05bc87b556e6441c8474.png


From a design point of view the raised subframe is definitely more pleasing to look at, and the top of the seat aligns well with the top of the tank, the subframe line reaches the back of the from wheel, and there is a symmetry between the frame and subframe angles.

From an engineering point of view, the raised subframe allows for a longer suspension travel. Also, from what I know about leverage and geometry, the angle at which the gravitational force component affects the slanted subframe makes for a lower torque than at the angle with the more horizontal subframe, which allows for higher loading of the subframe (assuming they are both of the same length) Got to mention that these bikes came stock with hard side cases.

Possibly what they could have done is to raise the rider seat to be more in line with the pillion seat, but I guess that would bring the overall center of gravity higher, which would negatively impact the handling of the bike, and then the windshield wod have to be taller, and bars higher etc.

Thank you for this thought experiment
f115a2c172c57f7774ea724c11a8f12f.png
b46612f3fb4ec14db9c21a3179a14245.jpg
742d23812b1db2a383fe8cfdf557e293.jpg
b8562d54a22d35863a383149ba3894a7.jpg
7272e6531cd3a27266a647a4ac1e7a8f.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
I appreciate your comments, Tod, and I see your points, except in raising the rider seat, which further defeats the purpose. My crude photoshop over-emphasized the long flat seat like a Buell Blast, but the Tiger is just too exaggerated.

Rear wheel travel for a Gold Wing is 4.1", for a CB500X it's 5.3", 5.9" for an NC750X, and Africa Twin is 8.7". Something around 6" should be more than adequate.

When I look back 25 years at Yamaha's TDM850, it still looks modern, and right. If it had the later 270 degree engine and fuel injection, it would still be viable today.
 
The high tails on many bikes do give the pillion a better view but the current trend for stubby tails isn't to my liking. I liked the idea of Suzukis new Katana but saw that rear end on release, just awful. Then, just to rub it in they put a silly 12ltr petrol tank on it? Have manufacturers totally given up on focus groups, I mean just a few lads down the pub car park would of set them straight? It's like Harley's Pan America, what is that monstrosity of a light thing on the front? Universally ridiculed by nearly all yet they still persist with it in the prototypes.
 
Thread starter
misterprofessionality_imp said:
So....what im getting from this is that ita a street/sport touring focused Africa twin basically.
I suppose. Not surprisingly, Honda seems to be heavily leveraging their 1100 cc inline twin used on the Africa Twin as well as their battle-tested drive train. The CMX1100 is the first in the new 2021 year. The fabled CB1100X carries none of the lineage of the CB, but definitely implies a new era Honda proposals.
 
While I don't like the look of almost ALL modern bikes- I also don't like a slab seat.

If you are going solo- get a solo seat design.

If you have a passenger- they need higher perch.

My wife - even with my stepped seat- is pretty much looking into my back the whole time while riding.



f81f6042846f7bd78c0c4cd660e8698e.jpg



 
This new CB1100X is really starting to grow on me. Especially if it friendly to taller riders. Way too many bikes are designed for Hobbits, Elves and trolls.........:angel:
 
Geez from my perspective way too many bikes are designed for jolly green giants, NBA players, and giraffes lol
 
Thread starter
:rofl:

It will be interesting to see how the CMX1100 rolls out in 2021.

Who knows? It could be a dud.

But, it sure feels like it could hit many of the important points.
 
Its a new generation of cruiser thats taking advantage of the technology at large. The kawasaki vulcan s was super successful, and thats another modern Ptwin Japanese cruiser.

The cb1100x on the other hand....I dont know where it fits in, when you can still get a vstrom 1050 for way less that may or may not be superior in many ways.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Its a new generation of cruiser thats taking advantage of the technology at large. The kawasaki vulcan s was super successful, and thats another modern Ptwin Japanese cruiser.

The cb1100x on the other hand....I dont know where it fits in, when you can still get a vstrom 1050 for way less that may or may not be superior in many ways.
Interesting that you'd mention the V-strom, I was thinking about it, it's a venerable platform that has been around for ages and it can be picked up used for a bag of peanuts. I don't think the latest model brought anything really new and revolutionary, so hardly worth the money. Makes me think about all the applications of that engine though, and I think it was a really good match for a naked chassis, whether in the SV1000 or this freak of nature (pics attached) I've had a chance to ride for a while, just before the pandemic and it was a blast. Ample torque, really good handling, and feels so very very light on its feet. The fact that you can ride for months before you see someone else on the same bike is an added bonus.
It's interesting how some of these italian OEMs don't mind using Japanese components and developing an experience around them.
Gentlemen may I present the Cagiva Raptor
a9c7557991a44edbba60f77287fb0714.jpg
87df4bd6bb6674d91f67ae3fa833705d.jpg
079948bff80fdc4f3c6584d3597723d2.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
While I don't like the look of almost ALL modern bikes- I also don't like a slab seat.

If you are going solo- get a solo seat design.

If you have a passenger- they need higher perch.

My wife - even with my stepped seat- is pretty much looking into my back the whole time while riding.



f81f6042846f7bd78c0c4cd660e8698e.jpg
Exactly our case / problem. Your seat makes it a little better, no ? Would you please tell me it's brand ?
 
Back
Top