Portland Cars and Coffee Event

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Okay, I understand that some of you might be asking why is Guth writing about an event titled "Cars and Coffee"? That's a fair question. I was turned on to this event after taking possession of our Honda S2000 and I really enjoyed myself looking over all of the amazing cars and having other folks asking me questions about the S2000. The thing is, this event has a different "theme" every week and this weeks theme was "Motorcycles" — and motorcycles they definitely had, lots of them. Now most of these bikes were newer examples, but I always dig the beauty of the older bikes so I tend to favor those when shooting photos.

As impressive as the lineup of bikes was today, it's nothing compared to the cars that this event draws in every week. It is incredible, hundreds of amazing cars every week. But today was a great day for a ride and this event was a great excuse to go for a ride (like one is really needed) and it was well worth the time invested. As an added bonus, just as I was getting ready to start up my bike to head out, a 2014 CB1100 came rolling in. I was able to say hello to the owner and learned that he occasionally spends time here on the forum (I didn't catch his forum user name). Anyway, it was nice meeting you today.

Hope you guys enjoy the photos...

9e31625b7f232b3f58210d9d8355c623.jpg

52355292b37ba348f43f6af0792cc5b2.jpg

3e4178743ecbea0370f914d89cf2937c.jpg

ad0c2d08521aae951714ec9f5abb3af4.jpg

3bd3fb3499d6e4e25289b3f63f2c5cd1.jpg

50bd025dcb1dd35e061c865f4640dcfa.jpg

7f2b178d5b9135b7d280fa6a203ad963.jpg

54245e300ddb52d861d49f90eec468f3.jpg

a8f95e2c72265d11fd988e5734361138.jpg
 
great looking bikes. for my money, you could toss in a couple of car pics, too and still not violate the forum's general principles
 
Ohhhh drooooooool. Great looking bikes. Havent seen a Rothman's Honda in forever. Very cool Guth!
 
Great shots Guth. A double pleasure: a ride and some decent bikes to look at.
 
Thread starter
Considering that this is a car event, it was a pretty impressive gathering of motorcycles. MTC, I'm afraid I might bet a get a bit too carried away with the car photos when encouraged so I'll just leave those out. At some point I might get around to posting up a gallery of images on my own website that I could share a link to if you're really interested.

It's funny, since acquiring the S2000, I've been researching the car like crazy (much like I did with the CB1100 back in 2012 when I was "beyond excited" about the bike). I've dug up all kinds of interesting articles and videos online. Perhaps the most notable thing that sticks out for me is how the chief engineer, Shigeru Uehara remains so very proud of, and connected to this car (he was also the man behind the original Acura NSX). So much so that he refers to the car as "his son" and has attended multiple S2000 owners gatherings around the globe — even after production of the car had ended. It got me daydreaming about the CB1100 and how awesome it would be if Mitsuyoshi Kohama could be prodded to attend a CB1100 rally. Hey, it was Honda themselves that decided to market "The Power of Dreams", so why not, lol.
 
Wow, that red Triumph looks like the bike I learned to ride on.

Ferret, whats the deal with a Rothmans Honda? Fill us in please.
 
It's not at all unusual for bike guys to also love classic cars and bikes.
I'm a "vintage guy" both in age and tastes so I loved the pictures you posted :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
popgun, Rothmans was a British Tobacco manufacturer that sponsored Honda's MotoGP effort late 80's and early 90's with riders Mick Doohan and Wayne Gardner.

Like Lucky Strike who sponsored Suzuki (Kevin Schwanz) they had very a distinct livery. You just never see either of them anymore.
 
I had a picture of a fine example of a Rothman's Honda which I posted on a ride report a couple of years ago. Thanks to our 'buddies' at BotoPhucket, it is no longer visible.

But, out of the goodness of my otherwise mean little heart, here it is again ...

 
Great report and Love seeing the old British bikes .
my Dad had a BSA 650 lightning that he kept in a locked metal shed with documented mileage and hid the key .
at 14 I found the key and learned i could take a couple panels off the back of the shed , roll it out , disconnect the speedo cable and have a great time while he was out of town . was a fantastic experience until he came home early one day ........
I was a troubled child
 
Love the pictures Guth and Cormanus!
use2b, what a funny story! What I would do to ride a BSA Lightning as a yute......
 
Thread starter
Alright, this guy did a far better job documenting the event than I did (it's really a great video).

Side note: I must admit that I've never heard of the Honda Motocompo. Crazy.


 
Some good gear, there. I didn't see you or the Hawk, Guth. Or at least I don't think I did. I particularly liked the old Aston Martin and the mono-wheeled trailer. What a beauty. This surely demonstrates that all Hondas should have RLETS!

 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Some good gear, there. I didn't see you or the Hawk, Guth. Or at least I don't think I did. I particularly liked the old Aston Martin and the mono-wheeled trailer. What a beauty. This surely demonstrates that all Hondas should have RLETS!
Yeah, I was looking through that video for my Hawk as well. He must have shown up before or after I was there (I didn't stay for the whole event).. My Hawk drew some interest, but when I mentioned that I was selling the bike the responses that I received were of the "Don't do it" and "You'll regret it" variety — thanks a lot, lol.

That Aston Martin was gorgeous. The mono wheeled trailed just looked scary,but appears to work quite well.
 
Guth, Thanks for posting the pictures and the video. I've gone to Beach's cruise nights at PIR (Portland International Raceway) on Wednesdays. You see a broad variety of cars and a good mix of motorcycles too! A smaller show will be at Oaks park later this summer. I just went to LeMay at marymount near Tacoma in June. Another great show of classic bikes.
 
Welcome to the Cruise In club Guth, lots of fun to be had at those events.

I am president of our local car club and we host a Cruise Night every Tues throughout the summer at a restaurant that I own. We average about 50 cars and 25 bikes which is pretty good for our small town of 1500. You won't find a friendlier bunch of people willing to answer (eager actually) any questions.
 
Back
Top