POLL - CB1100 DLX or CB1100 EX?

I like the '14 DLX especially considering what you could get a low mileage used one for now vs. what they will be asking for the '17. If anyone simply has to trade up from the '14 DLX to the '17 EX this spring, we should talk.
 
The veracity of the non-spoke-ites is surprising! Let's see... windshield or no? Not for me. I like it. Ok, it's a matter of opinion. New tank or old tank? I like it. I prefer the old tank. Ok, it's a matter of opinion. Now onto spokes. I like em. What? SPOKELESS WHEELS ARE SUPERIOR IN EVERY WAY!!!

Um, alright.

(And I'm exaggerating a lot)

If you're looking for someone to justify older technology turned stylistic point on an almost ridiculously impractical mode of transportation with anything other than "I prefer spokes," you'll be disappointed.

That said, I prefer spokes and I always will no matter how many hours I need to slave, beer in hand, while listening to NPR and staying out of the wife's hair, in the garage, by myself, smiling and cleaning them and enjoying every minute of it, forever :)
Concerning the poll. For me, it's a draw. I can't decide about the new tank until I see it in person. I prefer the green gauges on the '14 but the pipes are tighter (not more-hip, I mean actually closer to the engine) on the '17 for a cleaner look. The LEDs and the aluminum bits are an upgrade but the difference in price dwarfs that by a country mile. Now, the wheels, I prefer...wait...I won't get into that ;)
 
I voted EX. The DLX is gorgeous but the EX even better. As to spokes, a matter of personal taste no doubt but, to me, a mag style wheel looks better and is easy to make tubeless. Spokes belong on off road bikes where they serve a real function as "shock absorbers" for the wheels. Must admit that the spokes look fabulous on the EX.
 
I am in the middle on this one, I wonder way no one has brought up that the new EX is back to the weight of the
13 or the 14Std.
 
Its also not without suspicion that it's a typo.
 
I'm sure I read they shortened and lightened the duals. Too lazy to research it, though. Yet not bold enough to solicit you to just trust me on it, either. :)
 
70 mm shorter, slightly smaller in circumference, then again it has ABS that the std doesn't which is usually 7-10 pounds of added weight
 
The ferret_imp said:
70 mm shorter, slightly smaller in circumference, then again it has ABS that the std doesn't which is usually 7-10 pounds of added weight
Thanks, ferret! I needed that!

It'll be interesting to hear the new tone. I like the quiet of my '13, but I'm open to a different sonic signature. So many ways an in-line 4 can sound good.
 
Rolls_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
70 mm shorter, slightly smaller in circumference, then again it has ABS that the std doesn't which is usually 7-10 pounds of added weight
Thanks, ferret! I needed that!

It'll be interesting to hear the new tone. I like the quiet of my '13, but I'm open to a different sonic signature. So many ways an in-line 4 can sound good.
What!?!?!? I thought it was a law of nature that loud pipes save lives. :P
 
I wish when the motorcycle press reviews a bike they would also include a weight that they had gotten off a good
scale.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Rolls_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
70 mm shorter, slightly smaller in circumference, then again it has ABS that the std doesn't which is usually 7-10 pounds of added weight
Thanks, ferret! I needed that!

It'll be interesting to hear the new tone. I like the quiet of my '13, but I'm open to a different sonic signature. So many ways an in-line 4 can sound good.
What!?!?!? I thought it was a law of nature that loud pipes save lives. :P
What!?!?!? I thought it was a law of nature that loud pipes save squirrels.:P
Fixed it for you.
 
Thread starter
I voted for the Deluxe, but... if I didn't already own one and was in the market for a new CB1100, the EX would be in my garage in a heartbeat. It's a great looking bike. But, if I had my choice of either one, same price, same model year, same everything that you see... the Deluxe would be the one.
 
The DLX is such a gorgeous set of wheels....
who remembered seeing/hearing about the DLX being available at your nearest USA dealer back in 2014?
73da573976f01aedc01cce5e70ef1cb3.JPG


This pic was taken (not me) @ 2014 Seattle International Motorcycle Show...

Look at those alloys! They're so bright I need shades. And the double overhead cams gleaming out at you. PERFECTION right there!

I'm sure alot of you DLX owners, current and past, had many sleepless nights figuring out how to replace your nearly new 2013 to get the DLX. Am I spot on?
 
No hesitation at all on my part and my wife agreed. She said you HAVE to do it ( she thought motorcycles should have dual pipes too). I heard about it before my dealer did, went in and told him it was coming and that I wanted one, and we'd have to work out something on my 13. We did. Have no idea in the end what I paid for the DLX since I had the 13 trade in, plus I traded in a 6 year old Yamaha scooter and a little cash, but I can tell you I haven't lost 1 minute of sleep over the deal. Been a happy camper since the minute I saw it in person. Gorgeous motorcycle.
 
Ferret, your story practically mirrors that of the original owner of my DLX. He too owned a new 2013 CB1100, and upon hearing about the DLX, went and ordered his, and traded in the '13.

I'm just curious....did any DLX make it to a dealer's showroom w/o a customer putting down a pre-order commitment/down payment?

Volume of DLX is so low, it would suggest that....
 
Yea Honda probably would have saved me a little jingle if they had just brought out the dlx first lol, but I loved my 13 as well and enjoyed owning it for almost a year, nearly 9,000 miles, 2 multi day multi state trips and lotsa local miles.
 
jedd_imp said:
Ferret, your story practically mirrors that of the original owner of my DLX. He too owned a new 2013 CB1100, and upon hearing about the DLX, went and ordered his, and traded in the '13.

I'm just curious....did any DLX make it to a dealer's showroom w/o a customer putting down a pre-order commitment/down payment?

Volume of DLX is so low, it would suggest that....
I know of several that made it to the showroom floor, but they didn't stay there for long. It really depended on the dealer. Dealers had the option of ordering one or two when they first came out. Some dealers did and some didn't.

Two local dealers that I know of had them on the floor. At the time I called around because I wanted to see one in person. By the time I arrived a few days later, the DLXs were gone and all they had were the standards. Come to think of it, I still haven't seen a DLX in person.
 
Back
Top