POLL - CB1100 DLX or CB1100 EX?

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Could someone with knowledge on how to do this... set up a poll about which one they'd prefer? Using the original version of this side by side photo from the EX Anticipation thread?

ad29d8a22783ebfb70d0549f89db56c1.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
2014 DLX with the EX headlight and chrome Tach/Speedo covers. Everything else stays the same. BUT, if my hand was forced it would be the DLX if I had to put my money down.
 
Poll added. :)

DLX for me.
 



Actually, I'll go with the one that Honda's putting into US dealers this spring! :P
ride4now_imp said:
Could someone with knowledge on how to do this... set up a poll about which one they'd prefer? Using the original version of this side by side photo from the EX Anticipation thread?

ad29d8a22783ebfb70d0549f89db56c1.png



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You can edit your post and replace the image file link with this link:
EarsOnWheels_imp said:
EX tank + DLX wheels
Interesting! Go spokeless and tubeless! :)

All: the voting buttons are at the top left!
 
DLX. Spokes look good for about twenty miles and then they're covered with brake dust and look dingy. Cleaning them is a pain and if you don't the bike looks dirty. Not to mention the need for truing after hitting a dead possum or something. The wheels on the 13-14 look great and are a joy to keep clean, if that's possible. Spokes are something like breaker points; who misses them?
 
Cleaning spoked wheels is easy.
1. Go buy some anti-breakdust spray and spray your spokes.
2. Use wheel cleaner and brush.

Not much difference from cleaning all other wheels really.
 
No vote for me. I like 'em both. They're both CB1100s. The differences are what I'd consider "minor details". I'd be proud to own either one.
 
I personally think the 2014 EX is the nicest one. Unfortunately you did not get that one in the US though.

Also, I really don't know what the big deal is about spokes being difficult to clean. I have had a few bikes with spokes, and never found it to be more difficult than other wheels, and they don't get dirtier more quickly either.

c253d6e73905d4e3db16803fbb4930ed.jpg
 
CB1100DLX_imp said:
Cleaning spoked wheels is easy.
1. Go buy some anti-breakdust spray and spray your spokes.
2. Use wheel cleaner and brush.

Not much difference from cleaning all other wheels really.
Henrik_imp said:
I personally think the 2014 EX is the nicest one. Unfortunately you did not get that one in the US though.

Also, I really don't know what the big deal is about spokes being difficult to clean. I have had a few bikes with spokes, and never found it to be more difficult than other wheels, and they don't get dirtier more quickly either.

c253d6e73905d4e3db16803fbb4930ed.jpg

:thumbsup:

I bought this brush for my GT's complex front wheel but haven't given it a try yet. It looks like it would work pretty well on spokes.

 
Here's a question for you spoke fiends. Did manufacturers abandon spoke wheels just as a styling change, or were the new cast wheels actually superior in some way, as it lightness, rigidity, ease of upkeep, not to mention being easier to use with tubeless tires, which are indisputably superior to tube types by any standard? If you're forced to ride over a newly surfaced road, I pity you when you try to clean those tar wormies off forty or so spokes and their nipples. They do look nice, but are best for garage queens.
 
Cast wheels tend to be lighter than steel rims, though I'm not sure about aluminum rims. They also more easily allow the use of tubeless tires. I disagree spoked rims only belong on garage queens. My '56 Jaguar XK-140 Roadster has 16" spoked wheels with knock-off hubs and tube-type tires. It's no garage queen! Solid wheels on that car would be heresy.
 
That's a nice brush. I'd cut the handle off, chuck the rod end into my cordless drill and get that job done in no time.
776a7dedf8d771b1111c05094f6156ac.jpg

TCBronson_imp said:
I wonder about manufacturer costs, are spoke wheels more expensive to manufacture than a cast wheel?
imo, yes spoke wheels are more expensive than cast wheels. the type of cast wheels on production m/c's are of the gravity cast type. gravity cast tooling costs are the cheapest of all, and so this allows small batch production, flexibility in design and short development time.

With spoke wheels, not only are there more parts to manufacture, but also have to factor in longer assembly times.
 
I voted DLX but if I didnt have my DLX, like Cormanus I would take an EX in a heartbeat. I'm not afraid of spokes, but I'm not the fanatical cleaner some of you guys are either. I'm more of an "Id rather spend my time riding than cleaning kinda guy". My 2003 Triumph had spokes. No biggie ( as did about 25 other motorcycles I owned)
 
I reluctantly voted for the EX because it is different enough from my 2013 STD. However, it still has the 4-2 exhaust and I like the 4-1 and it has spoked wheels and I like the black/silver wheels on my 2013 (they remind me of the Comstar wheels Honda had on bikes starting in the late 70s). I do like that the tank has a larger capacity than my 2013 and I like the rear grab rail and that the EX seems more sporty looking to me, at least in pictures. I guess I would have voted for my STD had that been an option. LOL
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I reluctantly voted for the EX because it is different enough from my 2013 STD. However, it still has the 4-2 exhaust and I like the 4-1 and it has spoked wheels and I like the black/silver wheels on my 2013 (they remind me of the Comstar wheels Honda had on bikes starting in the late 70s). I do like that the tank has a larger capacity than my 2013 and I like the rear grab rail and that the EX seems more sporty looking to me, at least in pictures. I guess I would have voted for my STD had that been an option. LOL
Yes to the sexy 4-1, yes to the black/silver cast wheels, and yes to the Comstar look!
Yes, yes and yes!

YMMV. :)
 
Spoke wheels ?

Certainly beautiful to look at.

However, if you lube your chains every 500 miles like Honda recommends, which for me is about every 7 days of commute, your rear spoke wheel should look very messy like mine. Cleaning it a rear greasy cast wheel simply takes much less time.

From the safety point of view, what happens if your front tubed-tire gets a nail while you ride ? Wouldn't a tubeless tire safer in such a situation ?
Henrik_imp said:
I personally think the 2014 EX is the nicest one. Unfortunately you did not get that one in the US though.

Also, I really don't know what the big deal is about spokes being difficult to clean. I have had a few bikes with spokes, and never found it to be more difficult than other wheels, and they don't get dirtier more quickly either.

c253d6e73905d4e3db16803fbb4930ed.jpg
Thank you for the picture. Beautiful bike ! Just like I would want it to be. Not only we don't have it here in the US, we don't even get to see the left side of the bike very often.
 
Back
Top