Polaris Slingshot

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Anyone seen this? About double the price of a basic Spyder. Claimed 200 hp and 130mph top end. I just got a teaser email from Polaris.
 
Haven't seen one. I think the official rollout is July 27th. Weight to HP should be good. The GM Ecotech engine puts out about 200hp. It's odd they would still incorporate a belt in the final drive. Look forward to seeing one in person.
 
Thread starter
When I'm too old to ride......

Base price $20 K, "deluxe" model $24 K - includes backup camera (which I love on my car)

Should take corners better than most bikes - faster than most cars. Fat tires, about 180hp, less than 1800 lbs, 10 gal tank, 5 speed manual trans, 3 point seat belt, must wear helmets.

ed16496c754efa7dfeb3bd3ecfa828e4.jpg


c3462bb5197a519acbc270269c1812c2.jpg


4629bc946ad18ff2366de903d5b127bb.jpg


I suspect you'll be seeing these on the road in good numbers.
 
I keep thinking it's going to rear up and turn into a mechanical dinosaur. From the rear the body looks to be stolen from a carnival ride. It will no doubt be fun but boy is it ever ugly!!! Even the new Suzuki DL1000 looks good in comparison.
 
What a beast! A friend and his dad andbrother are considering a purchase together. Sportscar like experience for 20K, doesn't seem too bad... Would be fun but I wouldn't trade my CB1100 for it. Unless I could play with it for a month, sell it and buy new CB1100... No no.
 
I'm amazed Polaris can price the base model for under $20k. Considering the competition from KTM, Morgan, and Ariel is more than double; they're going to sell a buttload of these. That's a tremendous value.

I could see buying one just to take to the autocross events. I'm sure it would win outright against anything other than a similar dedicated track vehicle.
 
Elipten_imp said:
Would not a Miata be better value?
Absolutely, and a heck of a lot more fun to modify. One of my pals has a dedicated track MX-5 that he trailers to events, and he's always buying and installing some new toy. He makes our accessorizing look lame by comparison. He says you can build a very competent track Miata for $5k, including the cost of the starter car.

Having said that, I suspect the Slingshot would kick the Mazda's ass with equal drivers.
 
My issue with that is the fact that 3 wheelers are inherently unstable in corners, especially tight ones....at high speeds. I dunno.....

But I think it's uglier than sin and wouldn't get near it with a 100' pole.

0c511d4b093bc08fdc0e336a920fad6d.jpg


93e258b0c8b74f11cb6ec5ca726e0d78.jpg


I know it's not the same thing, but you get my drift. Also there was a reason that the moto companies did away with three wheeler ATVs.....roll overs.... a lot of them.
 
Dont build many 3 legged tables or chairs now, do they? Lol

Thing might beat a Miata ... Until it rains... Or until your wife doesn't want to get her hair messed up :rofl:

Hey, it's kinda like a motorcycle in that way.
 
There's a huge difference between 2 wheels in the front vs. two wheels in the back.

Besides, they have such sophisticated control systems now that roll-overs etc. are almost impossible. A lot of people were actually mad that the nannies on the Can-Ams preventing hooning the Spyders as much as they'd like.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Dont build many 3 legged tables or chairs now, do they? Lol

Thing might beat a Miata ... Until it rains... Or until your wife doesn't want to get her hair messed up :rofl:

Hey, it's kinda like a motorcycle in that way.
Used S2000's for the win!! Get them while they're still relatively cheap. Hands down the best car I've owned...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Well THAT stirred up the pot a bit.....:D
 
S2000 is a cool car. Love to have one, if I were richer or more impractical. Same with the Miata, or a TR6, or a Midget, or a 59 Vette in red and white.
 
The ferret_imp said:
S2000 is a cool car. Love to have one, if I were richer or more impractical. Same with the Miata, or a TR6, or a Midget, or a 59 Vette in red and white.
Depends on your definition of "impractical". Sure, it's only got 2 seats, but how many other sports cars weigh under 2900 lbs, have 120 hp/liter, rev to 8300, 50:50 weight distro, limited slip diff, slick 6 speed, AND have the reliability/maintenance schedule of an Accord? 52k miles on mine so far and it's yet to go to the dealership since I bought it. And I don't exactly baby it. :)

Practical enough for me! ;)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Where do you stick the grandkids?
 
The ferret_imp said:
Where do you stick the grandkids?
Haha...that's about 30 years more foresight than I've employed! My Grandpa had an '84 300ZX, I thought that was about the coolest thing in the world. :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top