Pledge

AzBob_imp said:
Pledge is perfectly fine to use on a vehicle. However, it provides little to no protection. It is easily stripped and it melts off the surface quite easily, leaving you with nothing. In the summer, Pledge will stay on the surface an average of less than one day before it melts off.

If you want a true protectant for your vehicle's finish, something like Zaino Bros. or Nu Finish, which chemically bond with the clear coat, last for months providing real protection and not just a shiny gloss (although they do that, too).

Honda Pro finish must have something going for it, apparently all the pro teams use it, regardless of marque, from what I understand.
To be fair, high summer in Phoenix, we're lucky the paint does not melt off.... :angel:
 
GUNFTR_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
I buy Plexus by the case on amazon, Pledge is much cheaper, I'll have to give it a try.
Speaking of Plexus, I use this stuff on my faceshields and windshields and have always been very pleased with the result. But I had not bought any in several years due to having bought so many cans years ago. When I checked the price on a new can it was over $20!!! Wow. I still use it, but let's say I spray it a little more sparingly than I did before.
Speaking of Plexus, I use this stuff on my faceshields and windshields and have always been very pleased with the result. But I had not bought any in several years due to having bought so many cans years ago. When I checked the price on a new can it was over $20!!! Wow. I still use it, but let's say I spray it a little more sparingly than I did before.
I use both. I think the Plexus is better at cleaning plastic such as windshields and face shields. I then follow it up with a protective coat of Pledge. On metal surfaces, like my wings, I just use the Pledge alone for bug gut control.

Prices for Plexus are pretty crazy. When the price for the big can (13 oz.) got up to $25/can at the local airport, I started poking around the Internet and eventually bought a case that came out to $15/can. With 4 motorcycle winshields and a plane with 8 plexiglass windows, I go through a lot.
 
Rboe_imp said:
AzBob_imp said:
Pledge is perfectly fine to use on a vehicle. However, it provides little to no protection. It is easily stripped and it melts off the surface quite easily, leaving you with nothing. In the summer, Pledge will stay on the surface an average of less than one day before it melts off.

If you want a true protectant for your vehicle's finish, something like Zaino Bros. or Nu Finish, which chemically bond with the clear coat, last for months providing real protection and not just a shiny gloss (although they do that, too).

Honda Pro finish must have something going for it, apparently all the pro teams use it, regardless of marque, from what I understand.
To be fair, high summer in Phoenix, we're lucky the paint does not melt off.... :angel:
To be fair, high summer in Phoenix, we're lucky the paint does not melt off.... :angel:
Indeed! (I was referring to an average summer anywhere in the U.S., though. Pledge is made for furniture inside a house) :-)
Stealth128_imp said:
I thought Florida was hot till I went to Arizona for a visit I will say Arizona definitely defines hot!
I find the 90 degree temps with 75+ percent humidity of Florida to be _way_ more uncomfortable than the 110 degree temps with 7 percent humidity of Arizona (my parents live in FL). My brother thought I was crazy but recently took a job in Las Vegas and was back east in Orlando last week and realized, yeah, humidity sucks. August in Arizona is basically Florida weather due to the monsoons and I just put my bike away for that month or two.
 
My riding club gave all the members a can of Honda Pro as a gift from our sponsoring dealership. Its great stuff, and I carry it to clean bugs and other crap off the bike and my helmet on the road. But Im sticking with regular waxings (carnauba) for primary protection. 6 years for the DL1000, 8 for the Mini, and the paint still looks factory (barring stone chips of course). I've read comments here that clear coated paint doesn't need wax; I don't buy it. Clear cost is just that; clear paint, and it benefits from UV and contaminant protection like any other finish.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
My riding club gave all the members a can of Honda Pro as a gift from our sponsoring dealership. Its great stuff, and I carry it to clean bugs and other crap off the bike and my helmet on the road. But Im sticking with regular waxings (carnauba) for primary protection. 6 years for the DL1000, 8 for the Mini, and the paint still looks factory (barring stone chips of course). I've read comments here that clear coated paint doesn't need wax; I don't buy it. Clear cost is just that; clear paint, and it benefits from UV and contaminant protection like any other finish.
Reading through this thread has persuaded me to do the same. As I said above, I have used the Honda Pro for years, even before it was labeled as Honda. But all of those bikes were mostly plastic. Given the gorgeous red fuel tank, and other metal parts, on this one, I can see the merits of a good old fashioned wax job.
 
Thread starter
ok Pledge should never replace waxing or other products that you may use. Pledge is a in between product that I apply between waxing or after washing. I've had a great result from this and several other products that are non motorcycle and work better then motorcycle applied products. Also recently I have discovered a product that removes the brown and dark brown spots on your pipes and I do not think
After 700 miles I'll see them again, another non motorcycle related product .
But to all ther own back to Pledge try some on your chrome fender then find another wax polish or whatever that can even come close to the brilliance produced by Pledge.
Anyway have a charming day signing off.
 
Stealth128_imp said:
ok Pledge should never replace waxing or other products that you may use. Pledge is a in between product that I apply between waxing or after washing. I've had a great result from this and several other products that are non motorcycle and work better then motorcycle applied products. Also recently I have discovered a product that removes the brown and dark brown spots on your pipes and I do not think
After 700 miles I'll see them again, another non motorcycle related product .
But to all ther own back to Pledge try some on your chrome fender then find another wax polish or whatever that can even come close to the brilliance produced by Pledge.
Anyway have a charming day signing off.
what are you and did you use on your headers,,,,:thanks:
 
Must have been Optiglanz!
 
Stealth128_imp said:
No its not Optiglanz.
I know! I know! You're just back from the Middle East where you learned that not only does camel urine make a great shampoo, it's ammonia content leaves stainless steel shiny and bright! (No kidding about the shampoo thing...)
 
Just ordered a can of Plexus off Amazon, called Honda dealer they have the Pro spray...already have Pledge....Thanks for the tips!
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
Stealth128_imp said:
No its not Optiglanz.
I know! I know! You're just back from the Middle East where you learned that not only does camel urine make a great shampoo, it's ammonia content leaves stainless steel shiny and bright! (No kidding about the shampoo thing...)
I know! I know! You're just back from the Middle East where you learned that not only does camel urine make a great shampoo, it's ammonia content leaves stainless steel shiny and bright! (No kidding about the shampoo thing...)
Mmmmm? What can I say?..
 
I tried Pledge on my bike today. Sold! Who would have thought to use furniture polish on motorcycles (and planes). It's really, really good. Thanks Stealth (and others)!
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
I tried Pledge on my bike today. Sold! Who would have thought to use furniture polish on motorcycles (and planes). It's really, really good. Thanks Stealth (and others)!
+1
 
This just cracks me up!

I think I am going to fit in well around here. So funny to see a bunch of other guys reach the same conclusions I have.

I was told about pledge by a scraggly old Beemer rider who asked me why I was wasting my money on expensive products in the bike shop when Pledge would do a better job and cost a lot less. I told him, I had just bought a new bike and wanted to take care of it.

Much to the chagrin of the parts guy. He took me out and showed his bike and said Pledge was all he ever used. His bike was old, but beautiful. I was sold.

I have used Pledge ever since. That was 1981. It has always worked well for me. Over the years, people have told it's not good for paint or it will yellow my shields. Never joticed any ill effects on my paint or my shields.

Every now and then I will drink the Kool-Aid and try the latest and greatest products offered. Always come to the same conclusion. Pledge works just as good. I have plexis and use it, I also have Honda Pro Polish and use that too. Those two and Pledge are about it. And I much prefer the smell of Pledge on the inside of my face shield than Plexis.

As a side note, pledge works great at taking tar of paint and chrome. Years ago my one week old Toyota pickup was forced to travel through and newly cold and hot tarred stretch of road. It was horrible, tar all over my new truck. Washed it, parked it in the shade, and went at it with the Pledge can. Couldn't believe how it disolved tar.

I would agree, it might not last too long. But it is so easy to apply it's ridiculous. I still use a good wax on my bikes with Carnuba. They use it on power cables and boats. But that is for another thread. That usually happens two or three times a year. The rest of the time I just wash, pledge, wipe, and ride.

I also agree, the bikes get less dirty with Pledge use. Must be less sticky. My current bike, the Tenere has a flat finish so no pledge for now. But my jeep gets it all the time.

Plegde is where it's at in my book too.

Thanks to all for this thread. It was too funny for me, and a nice trip down memory lane. I'm sure if, or when, I end up with a CB1100. It will be good friends with the pledge can.
 
Back
Top