Pledge

Stealth128_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So today stunning day in Tampa blue sky's right temperature for a long ride. Before leaving got out my can of Pledge and cleaned my CB to a brilliant shine.
My next door busy body comes wandering over and asked me why I use Pledge to clean my bike? I told him that I have used Pledge on all my cars motorcycles and aircraft. So he goes into this big deal about how it will destroy my paint and it's not the proper product to use on cars or motorcycles. So I reply with well been using longer then you been alive with great results and never had a problem with it and actually always had positive results for me works better then any other product that I have tried and leaves a slick finish on the paint and chrome along with reducing the need to wash my cars or bikes dramatically. Then he told all the products I should be using that he has at work that are designed to my vehicles looking like new. I ask him where do you work he responded with a auto parts supply house. I told him thanks for your help I'll stay with the Pledge. I told him that his car could use some Pledge walk over and did his hood handed him the can and said enjoy. When I returned from my ride he came over and thank me he Pledge both his cars and said
he would have never believed Pledge would work so well.

Just wanted to share.
 
Was expecting some sort of promise/commitment - "I pledge to ride my CB every day for the next 365 days, rain, shine, snow or hail." Thanks for the post. Will definitely have to give it a try. And, more importantly, I'll be sure to let my wife see me with a can of Pledge in my hand before I sneak into the garage with it.
 
I learned this from my auto body shop owner. He was our tow service for the police dept and when i was over there one day i saw him using Pledge on the customer's cars just before they arrived to pick the car up that had been repaired.
 
I've been using Pledge on the windshield and leading edge of my airplane's wings for about 20 yrs. It keeps the bugs from sticking. I think not using Pledge would be harder on the paint, since you'd have to scrub harder to get the bugs off.
 
Interesting. I have never heard of this, but me thinks a can is in my near future. :D
 
Pledge works great, always gave my rides a rubdown after wash. It helps fill in scratches on windscreens and buffs up a nice shine on the tank and fenders.
 
I may have to do an ingredient comparison between Pledge and Honda Pro Polish (or whatever it's called). Seems like they do the same thing with the same results
 
Thread starter
I don't know if it matters but I've always used the Lemon Pledge. I think they make Pledge in several different variants can't remember? But I do use it on everything on my bikes and cars and of course of furniture as well. I do know that it does a great job of repelling dust and dirt along with cutting wash time way down.
Which gives me more ride time.
Thanks
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/en-us/products-by-brand/pledge/pledge-lemon-clean.aspx

Above are the contents of Lemon Pledge which I used to use, but strictly on my windscreens.

Upon review, the ingredients do not seem to compare favorably with the Honda spray product. At least the Honda product contains natural Carnuba wax and UV protection. The chemicals in Pledge look harsh enough to strip existing wax off of painted surfaces.
For years, I have used the Honda Pro Spray (used to even be under a different name) on painted surfaces. On all my black rubber & plastic surfaces (cables, brake hoses, switchgear covers, chain guards, etc.) I have used Black Magic Tire Wet (http://www.blackmagicshine.com/tire-wet.php) by spraying on a cloth, and wiping on. Much as the OP describes Pledge doing, it leaves a slick protective film that stops stuff from sticking. The Tire Wet is very thick silicon based and leaves a great shine. After a ride, you can just easily wipe off the yuck from the road. Everybody had their little detailing tricks (like the Pledge) and the Tire Wet was one I stumbled across years ago.
 
Lemon Pledge cleans so easy,
Puts the shine down lemon good.
Lemon Pledge as you're dusting,
Brings new luster to the wood.
Lemon Pledge shines so simple,
Lemon way to make wood glow.
Lemon Pledge as you're dusting,
Adds protection as you go.

(You'll need to slip on a chiffon dress and waltz around the garage while singing the song and Lemon Pledging to get the full experience.)
 
CIP57_imp said:
I buy Plexus by the case on amazon, Pledge is much cheaper, I'll have to give it a try.
Speaking of Plexus, I use this stuff on my faceshields and windshields and have always been very pleased with the result. But I had not bought any in several years due to having bought so many cans years ago. When I checked the price on a new can it was over $20!!! Wow. I still use it, but let's say I spray it a little more sparingly than I did before.
 
Pledge is perfectly fine to use on a vehicle. However, it provides little to no protection. It is easily stripped and it melts off the surface quite easily, leaving you with nothing. In the summer, Pledge will stay on the surface an average of less than one day before it melts off.

If you want a true protectant for your vehicle's finish, something like Zaino Bros. or Nu Finish, which chemically bond with the clear coat, last for months providing real protection and not just a shiny gloss (although they do that, too).

Honda Pro finish must have something going for it, apparently all the pro teams use it, regardless of marque, from what I understand.
 
This is what I like about this forum. You learn something new almost every time you visit. Never heard of using pledge on a bike. I'm off to steal the wife's can of pledge and try it out on the CB. I'll just tell her I've been dusting all day!
 
Thread starter
The Spaceman_imp said:
Lemon Pledge cleans so easy,
Puts the shine down lemon good.
Lemon Pledge as you're dusting,
Brings new luster to the wood.
Lemon Pledge shines so simple,
Lemon way to make wood glow.
Lemon Pledge as you're dusting,
Adds protection as you go.

(You'll need to slip on a chiffon dress and waltz around the garage while singing the song and Lemon Pledging to get the full experience.)
Spaceman you Rock! I Haven't heard that in years. Now I'll be singing and dancing all day!.. No I won't wear the chiffon dress but your right it would give the total experience .....LOL!,
 
Back
Top