PLEASE READ THIS

Nortoon_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
PLEASE READ THIS. No it is not one of those pass along things. These are my own words to motorcycling friends around the world. It’s long, but the advice I provide may save you a lot of pain.

Each May thousands of motorcyclists in Ottawa and other Canadian cities take part in the Ride for Dad to raise funds to save men’s lives by supporting prostate cancer research. I do not like riding in pacts, so for several years I ignored their invitations and their advice.

Two years ago my family doctor sent me to an urologist because my PSA number was climbing. A high PSA number is a sign of possible prostate cancer, the number 1 cancer risk for men, as well as, the Number 2 cancer killer (behind lung cancer). The urologist asked if I wanted wait to see if it got worse or have a biopsy. Are there 2 answers to this question? Of course I avoided a biopsy and walked away.

The same year a model railway buddy of mine in Ogdensburg, NY told me his lower sore back was diagnosed as prostate cancer and it had moved into his bones. Despite 4 stages of treatment including radiation and chemotherapy, I watched him fade away and die within the year. I was saddened losing a friend this way, but did nothing to check my own health despite often waking up with a stiff lower back.

Months later my family doctor sent me back to the urologist as my PSA number had risen again. No choices this time, and I agreed to the biopsy. The results showed there were cancerous tumors in my prostate gland. A bone scan and PT scan were taken to ensure the cancer had not spread and the results came back clean.

I was given the choices of Robotic Radical Prostatectomy Surgery or radiation procedures. At 72 I had no intentions of having children, so I chose the surgery to eliminate any further chances of this gland causing any further health problems.

On Tuesday morning January 29 the gland was removed. When I woke up 3 hours later I found the catheter painful, so I was given 2 Tylenol to kill the pain.

At noon the next day I was sent home. A milligram of hydromorphone let me enjoy a long night’s sleep.

But the next morning I felt cramped and bloated. A large bran muffin and a mug of coffee were consumed. 15 minutes later I was called to the throne and all my pain was washed down the pipes. Each morning since, that has been my breakfast choice and have not suffered any pain at all.

Friday morning I go back to the doctor to have the catheter removed and the tiny shiny staples removed from the 5 bullet holes and knife wound under my belly button. After that if the tap doesn’t leak, by the start of riding season this will all be behind me. This May perhaps I will take their offer to Ride for Dad.

So my advice to all of you is ask your doctor what your PSA number is. And then ask to be tested every year after that. Unfortunately for us males it’s not a matter of whether we will suffer prostate cancer, it’s just a matter of when.
 
Nortoon, excellent and timely advice, and certainly not to be ignored. I'm so grateful you had the courage to follow up on your circumstances, whereas others might not. Ignoring chronic pain can be fatal.
 
Good and wise read. Been tested annually and cystoscopy 2x in the past 3 years = NFF/clean.
Some members already went through prostate gland removal, as well as my good friend in Australia, then he went back for biopsy and shows NFF/clean.
This is no laughing matter gentleman, and I am thankful to Nortoon for bringing this up.
Good luck to all and speedy recovery Nortoon, will take you 6-8 weeks to recover and you will be OK when moto-season begins :thumbsup:
 
I had my prostatectomy on Jan. 7 and went home the next day as well. never had to use more than a few Tylenols for a couple of days and all the pain was gone.
Now trying to get dry ! Be careful with your PSA , mine was never high and the digital exam never felt a hard tumor. Did not want a biopsy either but had a MRI first and that showed a tumor of 2 cm. Than had a biopsy (NO BIG DEAL ! ) and it showed a low grade cancer , than had a genetic test to see if it was slow or fast growing and it showed a slow growing one. Two years later (Oct. 2018 ) had a second biopsy and it was getting worse. Decided on Robotic Laparoscopic Surgery and I can not wait to ride my bike in early march !
 
My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer in his 80's. It was discovered by a high PSA during a routine exam. He chose a radiation treartment and was cancer free afterwards. In my 70's now and I get a PSA check every 6 months.

Thanks for reminding everyone Nortoon. Good advice.
 
Thank goodness things came out ok and you are on the mend Nortoon.

I also get yearly exams (due in the next month or so).

My goal is to ride until I am 70, (15 months to go) but longer if I am physically able to, and routine check ups are an important part of heading something off, and continuing to be able to ride.
 
My RRP (rad robotic pros) was eight years ago, and I continue to have a zero PSA.

Their concern during the exam time was my PSA had climbed from 5 to 7. It was the increase, however slight, that urged caution. Men in my survivors group have PSA #s as high as 2000, so the raw number is not nearly so important as an increase in the PSA.

Just a data point...
 
I popped my L4 - L5 disc not quite 3 years ago. Not pleasant and still have ongoing pain (plus I can no longer pee standing up).

As soon as I was admitted to hospital, the lovely doctor not only hand-placed an anaesthetic right up inside but she also gave my prostrate a once over for free (all good).

I was so pleased I got this done as I was too much of a wimp to go ask my usual doc to do it.

But I would strongly recommend us older men go get ourselves checked pronto, literally could save lives!
 
I've been 14 years since my surgery. My PSA is .2-.3. I've been labeled a stage iv prostate cancer victom. I get PSAs about every 3 months. I might be getting some radiation treatment soon. Cancer sucks. I'm 68 and still truckin. I ride my CB, I toss flies with my spey rod to salmon in Ak, I enjoy life.
 
I had mine removed robotically in 2012. Mercifully my PSA remains low.

Nortoon and Houtman, best wishes for full and speedy recoveries.

For others, if this thing threatens, do your homework before you have it done. There are risks: incontinence and impotence are the major ones. Most men die with prostate cancer, but not from it. If you look like dying from it, get the surgery; if not, wait, particularly if you are older.

Prostatectomy does seem to come up often on the list of surgery that some medical research says is often performed unnecessarily.
 
Over on the guzzi site one fellow remarked that his doctor was of the opinion that ALL men over (25 I think) have prostrate cancer, it's just a matter of the growth rate. I lost an uncle to it (waited too long) so it's serious business. Lucky for us most of us will die of other causes long before the prostate gets us. But I bet that is what finally gets Keith Richards!! :)
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I had mine removed robotically in 2012. Mercifully my PSA remains low.

Nortoon and Houtman, best wishes for full and speedy recoveries.

For others, if this thing threatens, do your homework before you have it done. There are risks: incontinence and impotence are the major ones. Most men die with prostate cancer, but not from it. If you look like dying from it, get the surgery; if not, wait, particularly if you are older.

Prostatectomy does seem to come up often on the list of surgery that some medical research says is often performed unnecessarily.
Very well stated and quite valid points:

Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) Test, Results, Cost, Meaning, Ranges

https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-happens-if-prostate-cancer-is-not-treated-2782034
 
Thread starter
Had the catheter and my shiny belly button ornaments removed this morning. No pain involved, and I feel normal again. Now I just have to hope the tap realized it's no longer hooked up to a catheter.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
Had the catheter and my shiny belly button ornaments removed this morning. No pain involved, and I feel normal again. Now I just have to hope the tap realized it's no longer hooked up to a catheter.
good progress and best of luck to you Nortoon
:thumbsup:
 
It will take some time but it will get better and all the BEST for you and your long future riding the CB 1100.
Not being able to ride my bikes was/is the worst part of all this , it is a good thing that my wife tells me not too till march 1 because I would have been out last week riding.
I am so glad that you posted your original post and hopefully other peoples lives will be saved.
 
Nortoon, have they given you exercises to help get the tap going again? If not, talk to a physiotherapist who should be able to help.
 
Back
Top