Playing dress up, looking for suggestions

misterprofessionality_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Good gaiters like the Triumph or Kawasaki units will set you back $100. The others are not worth putting on your bike and will split/rip in 6 months. Not kidding.

You might contact Frank at Greatdaytoride.com about altering your seat. He's good, he's quick and he's inexpensive.
How To install Fork Boots aka Gaiters

Don’t be shy ferret, tell him about your ‘how to’ thread on gaiter installation...‘twas a masterpiece. :clap:
what the heck....you have to remove things to put those on? you're talking to a guy who takes his bike to the shop for oil changes. no way in blazes am i removing things like wheels and brakes. it's guaranteed to malfunction when i put it back together. nuh uh. not this guy. fork gaiters are out.
what the heck....you have to remove things to put those on? you're talking to a guy who takes his bike to the shop for oil changes. no way in blazes am i removing things like wheels and brakes.

I've never understood that. lefty loosy, righty tighty... fixing things is easy.

Of course- I also don't understand moderators editing someone else's post of he** to fit their own moral standing. I find that insulting, condescending, and frankly ignorant. Might as well be a flat earther...
 
Sorry that offends you Dubs, I'm just following instructions from the administrator.
 
pdedse_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
1,000,000 years from know, an archeologist is going to dig up a small piece of aluminum with a rubber ball on one end and wonder what the heck it is. They ain't coming off.
And she will exclaim, "huh!, I wonder what purpose this Rubber Thing on the End of the Lever had? From then on, the great RTEL debate will begin...were RTELs used to grip better?, were RTELs used to protect something?, why did a few previously discovered levers have no RTEL? Never will they realize how close they were to the true acronym.

Some rookie archeologist will be scoffed at when she suggests that maybe they were for show only.
Prevents unwanted...

Oh. Wait. Y'all are talking about something else. Never mind.

:banana::banana::banana:
 
pdedse_imp said:
EmptySea_imp said:
1,000,000 years from know, an archeologist is going to dig up a small piece of aluminum with a rubber ball on one end and wonder what the heck it is. They ain't coming off.
And she will exclaim, "huh!, I wonder what purpose this Rubber Thing on the End of the Lever had? From then on, the great RTEL debate will begin...were RTELs used to grip better?, were RTELs used to protect something?, why did a few previously discovered levers have no RTEL? Never will they realize how close they were to the true acronym.

Some rookie archeologist will be scoffed at when she suggests that maybe they were for show only.
And she will exclaim, "huh!, I wonder what purpose this Rubber Thing on the End of the Lever had? From then on, the great RTEL debate will begin...were RTELs used to grip better?, were RTELs used to protect something?, why did a few previously discovered levers have no RTEL? Never will they realize how close they were to the true acronym.

Some rookie archeologist will be scoffed at when she suggests that maybe they were for show only.
Brilliant pdedse! :rofl:
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You can buy split gaiters that kind of snap together and are held by tie wraps. Don’t know how good they are.
I think those were the ones i was looking at that were only like 15 bucks. it's probably the reason i was surprised to read the actual process for installing real gaiters. according to previous posts, they might be cuss.

but hear me out...if you put on crappy gaiters that cost 15 bucks, and they break down in 6 months, you can buy more and put them on again. in fact, you can do that a grand total of 6 times before you run up to the price of "good" gaiters. then you have to ask yourself, how long do "good" gaiters last? maybe the answer for somebody who's bad at mechanics like me is to just buy the crappy ones. :idea:

Nemo_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Good gaiters like the Triumph or Kawasaki units will set you back $100. The others are not worth putting on your bike and will split/rip in 6 months. Not kidding.

You might contact Frank at Greatdaytoride.com about altering your seat. He's good, he's quick and he's inexpensive.
How To install Fork Boots aka Gaiters

Don’t be shy ferret, tell him about your ‘how to’ thread on gaiter installation...‘twas a masterpiece. :clap:
what the heck....you have to remove things to put those on? you're talking to a guy who takes his bike to the shop for oil changes. no way in blazes am i removing things like wheels and brakes. it's guaranteed to malfunction when i put it back together. nuh uh. not this guy. fork gaiters are out.
1. Buy Kawi gaters
2. Attend the rally in Berea and bring the gaters
3. We can install them for you an afternoon after riding, between beer and cigars
4. You’re welcome
:cool:
Thank you! remind me to look up where Berea is, and calculate whether or not the trip would cost the same as having my local mechanic do it:beerchug:

PowerDubs_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Good gaiters like the Triumph or Kawasaki units will set you back $100. The others are not worth putting on your bike and will split/rip in 6 months. Not kidding.

You might contact Frank at Greatdaytoride.com about altering your seat. He's good, he's quick and he's inexpensive.
How To install Fork Boots aka Gaiters

Don’t be shy ferret, tell him about your ‘how to’ thread on gaiter installation...‘twas a masterpiece. :clap:
what the heck....you have to remove things to put those on? you're talking to a guy who takes his bike to the shop for oil changes. no way in blazes am i removing things like wheels and brakes. it's guaranteed to malfunction when i put it back together. nuh uh. not this guy. fork gaiters are out.
what the heck....you have to remove things to put those on? you're talking to a guy who takes his bike to the shop for oil changes. no way in blazes am i removing things like wheels and brakes.

I've never understood that. lefty loosy, righty tighty... fixing things is easy.

Of course- I also don't understand moderators editing someone else's post of he** to fit their own moral standing. I find that insulting, condescending, and frankly ignorant. Might as well be a flat earther...
it's just risk management. i'm happy to screw around with things that i don't rely on. I rely on my bike. forget wrecking and getting hurt. if something goes wrong with my bike because i'm a moron and didn't take it to a mechanic because i wanted to screw around with it myself, then i lose my one and only way to get to work every day. I can't risk that. there's too much riding on my steady income, and i can't just take days off because "hurr durr my bike doesn't run today because i tried to work on something i can't even begin to fully understand."

If i had a spare bike to work on, sure, i'd try to learn, but this machine is too important. i can't take risks like that.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
You can buy split gaiters that kind of snap together and are held by tie wraps. Don’t know how good they are.
I think those were the ones i was looking at that were only like 15 bucks. it's probably the reason i was surprised to read the actual process for installing real gaiters. according to previous posts, they might be cuss.

but hear me out...if you put on crappy gaiters that cost 15 bucks, and they break down in 6 months, you can buy more and put them on again. in fact, you can do that a grand total of 6 times before you run up to the price of "good" gaiters. then you have to ask yourself, how long do "good" gaiters last? maybe the answer for somebody who's bad at mechanics like me is to just buy the crappy ones. :idea:

Nemo_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Good gaiters like the Triumph or Kawasaki units will set you back $100. The others are not worth putting on your bike and will split/rip in 6 months. Not kidding.

You might contact Frank at Greatdaytoride.com about altering your seat. He's good, he's quick and he's inexpensive.
How To install Fork Boots aka Gaiters

Don’t be shy ferret, tell him about your ‘how to’ thread on gaiter installation...‘twas a masterpiece. :clap:
what the heck....you have to remove things to put those on? you're talking to a guy who takes his bike to the shop for oil changes. no way in blazes am i removing things like wheels and brakes. it's guaranteed to malfunction when i put it back together. nuh uh. not this guy. fork gaiters are out.
1. Buy Kawi gaters
2. Attend the rally in Berea and bring the gaters
3. We can install them for you an afternoon after riding, between beer and cigars
4. You’re welcome
:cool:
Thank you! remind me to look up where Berea is, and calculate whether or not the trip would cost the same as having my local mechanic do it:beerchug:

PowerDubs_imp said:
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Blockhead_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Good gaiters like the Triumph or Kawasaki units will set you back $100. The others are not worth putting on your bike and will split/rip in 6 months. Not kidding.

You might contact Frank at Greatdaytoride.com about altering your seat. He's good, he's quick and he's inexpensive.
How To install Fork Boots aka Gaiters

Don’t be shy ferret, tell him about your ‘how to’ thread on gaiter installation...‘twas a masterpiece. :clap:
what the heck....you have to remove things to put those on? you're talking to a guy who takes his bike to the shop for oil changes. no way in blazes am i removing things like wheels and brakes. it's guaranteed to malfunction when i put it back together. nuh uh. not this guy. fork gaiters are out.
what the heck....you have to remove things to put those on? you're talking to a guy who takes his bike to the shop for oil changes. no way in blazes am i removing things like wheels and brakes.

I've never understood that. lefty loosy, righty tighty... fixing things is easy.

Of course- I also don't understand moderators editing someone else's post of he** to fit their own moral standing. I find that insulting, condescending, and frankly ignorant. Might as well be a flat earther...
it's just risk management. i'm happy to screw around with things that i don't rely on. I rely on my bike. forget wrecking and getting hurt. if something goes wrong with my bike because i'm a moron and didn't take it to a mechanic because i wanted to screw around with it myself, then i lose my one and only way to get to work every day. I can't risk that. there's too much riding on my steady income, and i can't just take days off because "hurr durr my bike doesn't run today because i tried to work on something i can't even begin to fully understand."

If i had a spare bike to work on, sure, i'd try to learn, but this machine is too important. i can't take risks like that.
Parts=$90
Mechanic's fee=$475.00
Ride to Rally= Priceless
:thumbsup:
 
I second the SW Motech engine guards. They are well made, fit right, and are powder coated. I personally dont consider them a dress up, as they will not only protect expensive engine parts in a lay down, but also will take some of the bikes weight off of you if you are unlucky enough to be under the bike when it goes down. Here is a thread I did on best use of mounting bolts, and correct mounting bolt torque values.
Engine mount bolt torque value
 
Hi guys...I tried the split gaiters. I challenge anyone to prove that they can actually successfully install them! I ordered the correct size from Revzilla then spent several hours over two different days trying to get the seams to pop together, and they would not. Turned out to be a good thing, as seeing them in person they were much too bulky in profile, not enough pleats, and were going to look very cheap and low class even if I had been able to get them to work. Sent them back, ordered the Kawasaki ones for 4x the price...but they're worth every penny. Even including the wheel and fork removal/reinstall it took far less time than I spent wrestling with those ridiculous, ugly split gaiters -- they simply have no place on a classy bike like the CB1100.
One man's story, your mileage may vary : )
-Karl
 
Thread starter
KVDV would you kindly provide a link to the kawasaki gaiters you bought? i'm going to have some put on when i take my bike in for it's next set of tires. figure it won't cost me anything if the wheels are already off the bike.
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
KVDV would you kindly provide a link to the kawasaki gaiters you bought? i'm going to have some put on when i take my bike in for it's next set of tires. figure it won't cost me anything if the wheels are already off the bike.
I got my info from Ferret's excellent post about how to do the install for gaiters. These are what I bought, lifted directly from his notes:
Kaw Part Numbers:
49006-1335 (boots) x 2
If I remember correctly, I bought these from Partzilla, here's a link. They really spiffed up an already spiffy machine!
 
Thread starter
thanks for that. I've heard people say more than once that i should get the Kawi Gaiters but I never knew exactly which part they were talking about. Now that it's time i figured i'd get them on order.
 
is that an online price? I think mine were close to, but under $100. They are really quality gaiters though, will last seemingly forever. I put a set on my 2003 Bonneville (which is still in the family) and they still look good 15 years later, with no seam splits.
 
Thread starter
he was referencing Samurider.com, which has them up for 160k yen. that's about 150 Murican. Samurider is notoriously overpriced, though, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out you can get them elsewhere more reasonably.
 
And I believe that they are different gaiters. Ferret, I believe, is referring to the Kawi boots while the Samurider link is for Whitehouse gaiters which are reported to be designed specifically for the CB1100 and made of high quality silicon!
 
Back
Top