Pinstriping by hand

tommymck

Been there
Thread starter
These came up as I was wandering down a Youtube rabbit hole.

Hand pinstripers are amazing. I wonder how much practice goes into it....





 
My daughter-in-law's brother did pinstriping on the side, and I tried for months to get him to pinstripe a black helmet I had to mimic BMW stripes. Always too busy, don't have the right paint, my brushes are in hock, always something. I got some white pinstriping tape and did it myself. From ten feet away, it looked great. A guy I used to ride with in SoCal had some great purple and red stripes on his gray Victory, done by a guy in the parking lot at Cook's Corner in Trabuco Cyn while he had breakfast. I could never find the guy there, tho.
 
Man, Charlie, when I had my black BMW with white pinstripes, I was commuting past Cook's Corner every day, and I dreamed of having a matching black helmet with white stripes. Wonder if I ever rode past while that striper was there!
 
I tried my hand at it in my teens. Did a few designs on friend's cars for a few bucks. I was young. It was fun and I was good at it (he said modestly) and I was acutely aware of how easy it would be to mess up a really expensive paint job, so I lost interest in it. Still have my striping brush, which must be sixty-five years old now. Time flys when you are having fun.
Thanks for sharing these videos. These folks are really something. Very impressive.
 
I did all the paint work including pinstriping on this panhead chopper my brother and I built back in 1970 or 71, but it was hardly show quality lol.

fd38945ed91ff2f0211dc36f67ab4e43.jpg


A true pinstriper is an artist.
 
Extraordinary skill.
 
Ferret. You’re sitting on my dream chopper. There should be a forum policy that you’re required to post that picture once a quarter.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I did all the paint work including pinstriping on this panhead chopper my brother and I built back in 1970 or 71, but it was hardly show quality lol.

fd38945ed91ff2f0211dc36f67ab4e43.jpg


A true pinstriper is an artist.
One of my favourite Ferret photos.
 
Young, skinny and with hair lol
 
I recall that BMW pinstriping was done by hand years ago. My '73 BMW had the signature of the artist on the underside of the front fender.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I did all the paint work including pinstriping on this panhead chopper my brother and I built back in 1970 or 71, but it was hardly show quality lol.

fd38945ed91ff2f0211dc36f67ab4e43.jpg


A true pinstriper is an artist.
One of my favourite Ferret photos.
One of my favourite Ferret photos.
I agree. What a cool photo!!!!!!
 
Back
Top