Pinlock use - who uses 'em

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm used to helmets with anti-fog coatings on the inside of the visors. But, I just bought two helmets from a european supplier, and neither has this coating. One of them included a Pinlock insert, which I haven't installed yet.

Fogging is a rather minor annoyance here in Southern California, and only this time of year when the weather is chilly, and when I'm stopped or moving very slowly, so I haven't been expedient in putting the insert in my helmet.

I've been reading about Pinlock inserts to get up to speed on them. The advice I've read is that they're for daytime use only. Since half of my riding this time of year is at night coming home, I don't need any problems seeing where I'm going.

For those of you who use them, do you have any trouble at night? And, if they are removed from the shield, do they leave any residue on the shield or damage it in any way, or destroy the Pinlock in the process?

Also, being a very cheap person, I'm seeing universal-fit anti-fog inserts on Amazon with good ratings. For the helmet that didn't include a Pinlock, looking at this as well. Anyone use one from Amazon?
 
For cool weather night riding (-20C to 9C) resulting in possible visor fog up, I do one or more of the following:

* Crack the visor open a wee bit (this is typical for me),
* For winter riding I use a second barrier shield,
* Pre-heat the helmet before putting head into it (I almost never do this - helmet is stored outside 'cause I am lazy),
* Stop breathing in the helmet.
 
Thread starter
*I tried the stop breathing thing, and I got dizzy.
*I always crack the visor open. The only time I forget is when I'm moving slowly on the freeway ramp, and both hands are busy on the brake and the clutch. Comically, that
means the only time fogging is a real issue is when I'm getting on the freeway and need my best visual acuity to cross four lanes of gridlock to get to the car pool lane.
*In the morning, the garage is warmer than the house... I'm assuming because the water heater is in the garage, so the helmet shelf is warmer than it would be in the
house, but my breath is warmer than the garage.

Thinking I might try wearing a neck tube in the morning, and pull it up over my mouth and nose. That would keep my neck warm too. I think I have a drawer full of various tubes and face coverings left over from the recent unpleasantness.
 
I've had Pinlock. They work well in cold weather and cool, humid weather. You have to be prepared that they scratch rather easily and need to be replaced from time to time. You're not supposed to wear them at night. I did one time and I did not think it impaired visibility. They aren't great in a dust storm...sand particles will get inside them (happened to me in Death Valley).
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Stichill. How long do yours typically last? Good to know about your night riding experience. That's a big concern for me.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
*I tried the stop breathing thing, and I got dizzy.
*I always crack the visor open. The only time I forget is when I'm moving slowly on the freeway ramp, and both hands are busy on the brake and the clutch. Comically, that
means the only time fogging is a real issue is when I'm getting on the freeway and need my best visual acuity to cross four lanes of gridlock to get to the car pool lane.
*In the morning, the garage is warmer than the house... I'm assuming because the water heater is in the garage, so the helmet shelf is warmer than it would be in the
house, but my breath is warmer than the garage.

Thinking I might try wearing a neck tube in the morning, and pull it up over my mouth and nose. That would keep my neck warm too. I think I have a drawer full of various tubes and face coverings left over from the recent unpleasantness.
Like GO I crack the shield a tiny bit at the bottom.

Chances are if you wear a neck tube (or balaclava) over your nose it will only make the fogging worse (especially if you use glasses).

I've always thought a tube with mouthpiece like snorkelers wear, that runs out below your helmet would be the cat's meow. Breath into the mouth piece and the air exits below the helmet., nowhere near the inside of the face shield.

Maybe you can 3d print one and attach a piece of 1/2" fuel line. Let me know if my theory is right.
 
Thread starter
If I'm going to 3D print a mouthpiece and breath through a fuel hose, I might as well just put the Pinlock on my shield.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
If I'm going to 3D print a mouthpiece and breath through a fuel hose, I might as well just put the Pinlock on my shield.
lol - Some riders have done this.

= = =

I use the double layer visor during winter riding.

I have pins locks buried in my basement somewhere (don't use 'em).
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
*I tried the stop breathing thing, and I got dizzy.
*I always crack the visor open. The only time I forget is when I'm moving slowly on the freeway ramp, and both hands are busy on the brake and the clutch. Comically, that
means the only time fogging is a real issue is when I'm getting on the freeway and need my best visual acuity to cross four lanes of gridlock to get to the car pool lane.
*In the morning, the garage is warmer than the house... I'm assuming because the water heater is in the garage, so the helmet shelf is warmer than it would be in the
house, but my breath is warmer than the garage.

Thinking I might try wearing a neck tube in the morning, and pull it up over my mouth and nose. That would keep my neck warm too. I think I have a drawer full of various tubes and face coverings left over from the recent unpleasantness.
Like GO I crack the shield a tiny bit at the bottom.

Chances are if you wear a neck tube (or balaclava) over your nose it will only make the fogging worse (especially if you use glasses).

I've always thought a tube with mouthpiece like snorkelers wear, that runs out below your helmet would be the cat's meow. Breath into the mouth piece and the air exits below the helmet., nowhere near the inside of the face shield.

Maybe you can 3d print one and attach a piece of 1/2" fuel line. Let me know if my theory is right.
I grabbed a neck and face tube (out of the box of branded ones we had made during the recent unpleasantness), put it on. I then put on one of my new helmets. First of all, hard not to push down a face tube when you're putting on a helmet.

I then started breathing with the shield down, and yeah, it started fogging a bit. But hey, now I have something to keep my neck warm.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
*I tried the stop breathing thing, and I got dizzy.
*I always crack the visor open. The only time I forget is when I'm moving slowly on the freeway ramp, and both hands are busy on the brake and the clutch. Comically, that
means the only time fogging is a real issue is when I'm getting on the freeway and need my best visual acuity to cross four lanes of gridlock to get to the car pool lane.
*In the morning, the garage is warmer than the house... I'm assuming because the water heater is in the garage, so the helmet shelf is warmer than it would be in the
house, but my breath is warmer than the garage.

Thinking I might try wearing a neck tube in the morning, and pull it up over my mouth and nose. That would keep my neck warm too. I think I have a drawer full of various tubes and face coverings left over from the recent unpleasantness.
Like GO I crack the shield a tiny bit at the bottom.

Chances are if you wear a neck tube (or balaclava) over your nose it will only make the fogging worse (especially if you use glasses).

I've always thought a tube with mouthpiece like snorkelers wear, that runs out below your helmet would be the cat's meow. Breath into the mouth piece and the air exits below the helmet., nowhere near the inside of the face shield.

Maybe you can 3d print one and attach a piece of 1/2" fuel line. Let me know if my theory is right.
There is truth in all that.
 
I wear a thin neck tube anytime its 50 or below and for sure a balaclava anytime its 40 or below
 
I have used Pinlock for many years and they do last a long time if you occasionally remove and wash and dry off. On the odd occasion I ride at night I wouldn't go to the trouble of removing it. The trick is making sure you have a good seal and in fairness it is hard to put them on poorly. It just feels weird bending your visor so flat to fit the pinlock you think it is going to break. Some visors have a cam mechanism on the tab the ends of the pinlock so you can tighten or loosen the fit. They are good but not 100% infallible I will say.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Tev. That's a pretty solid endorsement. I'm thinking my use of a Pinlock will not be taxing on it, as I'm just trying to reduce a little fog, not riding in bad weather. And, if they're removable and reusable, I can just put it in for the colder months and take it out and store it for the rest of the year.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
*I tried the stop breathing thing, and I got dizzy.
*I always crack the visor open. The only time I forget is when I'm moving slowly on the freeway ramp, and both hands are busy on the brake and the clutch. Comically, that
means the only time fogging is a real issue is when I'm getting on the freeway and need my best visual acuity to cross four lanes of gridlock to get to the car pool lane.
*In the morning, the garage is warmer than the house... I'm assuming because the water heater is in the garage, so the helmet shelf is warmer than it would be in the
house, but my breath is warmer than the garage.

Thinking I might try wearing a neck tube in the morning, and pull it up over my mouth and nose. That would keep my neck warm too. I think I have a drawer full of various tubes and face coverings left over from the recent unpleasantness.
Like GO I crack the shield a tiny bit at the bottom.

Chances are if you wear a neck tube (or balaclava) over your nose it will only make the fogging worse (especially if you use glasses).

I've always thought a tube with mouthpiece like snorkelers wear, that runs out below your helmet would be the cat's meow. Breath into the mouth piece and the air exits below the helmet., nowhere near the inside of the face shield.

Maybe you can 3d print one and attach a piece of 1/2" fuel line. Let me know if my theory is right.
On my Neotec 2, I stuffed a bit of cotton in the chin and top vents to diffuse the amount of air (and bugs, and dust, and...) that gets in, but having that open with my balaclava seems to keep the shield from fogging. At least until the next stop light anyway. When it gets really cold, eventually the pinlock gets overwhelmed and fogs up anyway. They are still worth having though.
 
I've tried the pinlock and they work pretty well. I do find that adding a lens degrades vision a bit. It's the same with the sun visor on my Arai helmet. Ultimately I gave up on the pinlock though because although it worked pretty well it did nothing to keep my glasses from fogging up.
 
Thread starter
I always embrace the crack.

Tried the neck tube this morning. Kept my neck warm, but had it up over my nose and mouth, did nothing for the fog. But, traffic was light, so no problem.
At least I will use the tube rather than my bulky tube which is meant for much colder weather than we get.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I always embrace the crack.

Tried the neck tube this morning. Kept my neck warm, but had it up over my nose and mouth, did nothing for the fog. But, traffic was light, so no problem.
At least I will use the tube rather than my bulky tube which is meant for much colder weather than we get.
This is for everyone:

Treat the crack with respect, and it will treat you well every time.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I always embrace the crack.

Tried the neck tube this morning. Kept my neck warm, but had it up over my nose and mouth, did nothing for the fog. But, traffic was light, so no problem.
At least I will use the tube rather than my bulky tube which is meant for much colder weather than we get.
This is for everyone:

Treat the crack with respect, and it will treat you well every time.
This is for everyone:

Treat the crack with respect, and it will treat you well every time.
Until you get that one Kamikazee wasp that manages to find the perfect angle of deflection off of your mirror and in through the crack so it is trapped inside with your face.
 
... this has happened a few times.

The last time was upon return from the 2023 East Coast CB1100 Rally.

Somewhere in PA the wasp disintegrated and half getting caught on the inside of my helmet liner around the face. Perhaps the other half on my riding jacket collar. The issue was mostly cleaning up the debris and moving on north.

Fortunately my bike windshield catches most of these Kamikazes.
 
Back
Top