Pics of Jedd's excursions

jedd_imp

Been there
Thread starter
This Wed, I indoctrinated my redhead to one of my favorite local places to ride to. THis is City Park, aka Emma Long motorcycle park - a dedicated offroad motorcycle park only that's inside Austin City Limits (13 minutes from my house).


The general public can't walk, or hike out at this park, can't bring pets out there, can't ride any ATV, can't camp, can't do squat...just ride your offroad motorcycle and mountain/racing bicycles only.




One should be a solid "B" level dirt rider to ride out there - not for beginners.. It's mostly 1st and 2nd gear technical limestone stairsteps and drop offs. A 6 mile loop typically takes a B rider 45 minutes.
1594f254b17d956f261b29c4b98f615a.jpg


Thus this place is ideally suited for a dirt bike that weighs 150 lbs or less, and has alot of grunt right off the throttle. That's one reason why I keep a trials bike around... just to ride city park.



So, every WEDNESDAY afternoon until 10pm, I can be found at City Park. The Trials Club members come out there religously, and the guys who race enduros, they also come out on Wed. to ride the main loop. After sunset, we all stick around and chew the fat until 10pm.
On weekends, it's packed w/ not only trials and enduro riders, but some of the very best mountain bike riders/race amateurs/Lance Armstrong even (but not no more after confessing on Oprah).

TUESDAY NIGHT is Doc's watering hole...which I'll post up next...stay tuned.
 
Nice thing for you guys to have out there. No noise complaints to city council?
 
Thread starter
^-----I found a web article on a trials competition recently put on by the Trials Club.

Trials Comp in Austin

check it out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that our weather's in the mid 70-85's F, and the time change has sprung forward, the riding scene here in Austin is quite festive, to say the least.
On this saturday, I tagged along w/ the local sport bikers on their spirited ride.


It felt great to be out of the city, rowing each gear right near redline. What a rush!




On Tuesday nights, I go to this local brewery to chill w/ fellow bikers.


It's a short ride to the pub, 5 miles south of my house...bikers truly appreciates my retro bike...all bikes, really.




From now until winter, this hangout's only going to get more crowded w/ bikers



As the night winds down...



It's time I head into downtown,




a short mile away from Austin Beer garden,



to.... :celebrate::celebrate:... on 6th Street, our version of Bourbon St in New Orleans...


This Tuesday's the first of 5 days & nights that Austin's kicking off the South by Southwest music Fest. Basically, hundreds of bands are now playing everywhere...if there's a stage, nightclub, on the streets even....there's music and fans out and about.





---------------------------------------------------------------
This street corner musician's quite innovative...
he's using an ipad to wail out his band's lyrics and instruments,
while he's playing drums using empty 5 gal water bottles and paint buckets. Talk about low budget...but his music and skills was 1st class!
That's what's so different about the musicians coming for SXSW. They're all on top of their game, hoping to catch a record label. No lousy musicians anywhere.


Our LEO's out doing their job keeping the public safe.


the Japanese spirit (SONY) represented...


After making my rounds along 6th & 5th street, I left downtown and headed back to my 'hood, which is 4 miles north of downtown for me. I got the munchies, so I head to my local drive in burger joint next to my 'hood. The joint makes a killer burger, and tey typically bring in some 4 wheel action.
Tonight, it was rocking...



Lots of muscle represented, let me tell ya!




some back end shots of fat meats underneath...



After downing my tasty burger and fries , I got home safe and sound.
...so there ya have it....that's what's happening in my neck of the woods at night...until next time.
 
Great nite out, thanks for the photos. I never thought about it before, but must do a lot of night riding during your hot season when it's too hot during the day.
 
Man, this thread sure brings back some memories. Good to see places like Top Notch still around. Austin has changed considerably since I lived there. I hardly recognize the place any more when I've been back to visit. I used to live more or less just down the road from you - just a few blocks away from Burnet Road & 2222 where The Frisco and HEB are located (were located?).
 
I have always been too afraid to try the trails out at Emma Long on my mountain bike. I stick to easier stuff like Walnut Creek Park or Brushy Creek in Round Rock. Would love to go watch some trials riding out at Emma Long, but it sounds like I'm not allowed to hike it in there.
 
Great post Jedd. That City Park looks like one of those "only in America" places. Fantastic. And really good night photos - could feel the buzz.

Cheers
 
Thread starter
In addition to watching all the Bluebonnets bloom and the bats coming out of the Congress Bridge, April in Austin also means....:


So, on MotoGP weekend, we RIDE AND PARTY all over Austin.
Throughout the weekend, several shops (too many to hit all of them) do open house. Free giveaways, free tech sessions, free autograph signing...here's a few pics of Thursday's kick off parties I attended.

1. DUCATI AUSTIN




They serve up free alcoholic wine spritzers and beer, and snacks, and party trays of sandwiches and potato salads.



MAGNIFICENT motorcycle!! Timeless beauty.



Ducati team racers
(skinny guys wearing Duc hats)
autograph signing..





2. Cycle Gear, a local favorite that's a couple miles west of Ducati.
They host several tents throughout the weekend. On this Thursday, they hosted The Christian motorcycle riders,
Ridersmart (track racing school), Geico Ins...


Lots of very trick motorcycles come out at this time of the year.
This one spoke to me!


And this Harley is one of a kind.


COTA added circle track racing to its venue, (see"AMA Pro" in pic below)

c02b585dbd5b0c39c4d33448e6068539.jpg



so this event
is bringing in some heavy weights from all over the USA
to duke it out on Sat under bright lights.



Trick shifter and brake foot levers;


on the left side, no footpeg, shifter deleted, and direct drive for aux starting


Tonight and Tomorrow, I'll be at COTA spectating, AND!
I getr to ride my CB1100 on the track in the parade lap. More to follow....
 
Thread starter
At the end of Day 1 of MotoGp, I took in a lap on the cb at COTA...such an amazing track!


















More to follow...
 
Jedd what riding gear did they reqire for you to take the track for that lap?


2014 CB1100 DLX
2013 CB1100 Std
1990 BMW K75 RT
 
Thread starter
Gear: Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Boots, Jeans or riding pants.

Bike: It must be a working bike you ride on the street. Cops will be there checking for DUI's.
 
That would be a lot of fun. Bet it looks huge at 35 mph. Bet it looks a lot smaller at 150 lol
 
Thread starter
agreed ferret, and gets alot smaller too at 200.:thumbsup:

Day 2, line up...


Duc owners w/ VIP; they park inside COTA on the greens,


The Duc pavillion is a big hit w/ kids ....


Some action shots









After MotoGp, we then watched
the AMA Flat track Nationals under bright lights.


.


and as the winner takes the check, fireworks time!

After Flat track, us late night Motogp partygoers flowed into downtown to see the Handbuilt Motorcycle show.
Free admission, open bar, top shelf liquor, & free parking out front
for m/c's...









step inside, and the amount of custom bikes on display is just staggering...





too many to post up...so I'll just show a few of my favs








The talk is very festive...it's all about m/c's...even
the ladies are well versed with all things m/c...




























Step outside and behind the warehouse, and you can watch
some daredevil stunts performed on a pair of m/c's...Wall of Death!



Here's a vid of the stunts (posted by someone else)..
Wall of Death Austin TX
 
Back
Top