Photobucket picture hosting changes

Thread starter
Now that you found the hyperlink button, there is one more trick.

* Type your text first the way you want it.
* highlight the plain text that you want to be the link
* now click on the insert hyperlink button and paste the web address

This will convert existing text into a hyperlink.
 
oh no.... more gobbledygook talk lol
Nortoon posted up these instructions

If you click on the REPLY button a reply box will open.
You can type in the appropriate text.
Under the screen is a New Attachment BROWSE button.
If you click on that it will let you chose any picture on you computer.
If you click on the picture it should show an OPEN button at the bottom of your computer screen.
If you click on that it will fill the BROWSE box here with the picture address.
Click on the ADD ATTACHMENT button and it will save it here for you.
Place your cursor in the reply box where you want the picture to show and right click.
Under the ADD ATTACHMENT button is an INSERT INTO POST button.
Click on that and it will add the attached picture into your post.

Click the POST REPLY button and you are done.

Sitting here with printed instructions Nortoon and I can't get it to work. Cormanus? Popgun?
 
The ferret_imp said:
oh no.... more gobbledygook talk lol
Nortoon posted up these instructions

If you click on the REPLY button a reply box will open.
You can type in the appropriate text.
Under the screen is a New Attachment BROWSE button.
If you click on that it will let you chose any picture on you computer.
If you click on the picture it should show an OPEN button at the bottom of your computer screen.
If you click on that it will fill the BROWSE box here with the picture address.
Click on the ADD ATTACHMENT button and it will save it here for you.
Place your cursor in the reply box where you want the picture to show and right click.
Under the ADD ATTACHMENT button is an INSERT INTO POST button.
Click on that and it will add the attached picture into your post.

Click the POST REPLY button and you are done.

Sitting here with printed instructions Nortoon and I can't get it to work. Cormanus? Popgun?

Yeehaww! It worked for me!
 
did you use Nortoons instructions Rocky?
 
The ferret_imp said:
oh no.... more gobbledygook talk lol
Nortoon posted up these instructions

If you click on the REPLY button a reply box will open.
You can type in the appropriate text.
Under the screen is a New Attachment BROWSE button.
If you click on that it will let you chose any picture on you computer.
If you click on the picture it should show an OPEN button at the bottom of your computer screen.
If you click on that it will fill the BROWSE box here with the picture address.
Click on the ADD ATTACHMENT button and it will save it here for you.
Place your cursor in the reply box where you want the picture to show and right click.
Under the ADD ATTACHMENT button is an INSERT INTO POST button.
Click on that and it will add the attached picture into your post.

Click the POST REPLY button and you are done.

Sitting here with printed instructions Nortoon and I can't get it to work. Cormanus? Popgun?
Hope this helps. Ironically, perhaps, I've actually used an image hosting site to store the images I've used above. If I hadn't, this is what you'd see.


I hate that!
 
Just beware, there are three downsides of using this method:
[li]You will have to have a method of reducing the size of your picture files to conform with the size limits Guth has set. That can be a pain as it requires mucking about on your computer first.[/li] [li]You often end up with the sort of over wide images I've just demonstrated.[/li] [li]It will cheese off Guth in the end as he'll have to pay for the storage of all the images.
[/li]
 
Retsel_imp said:
Rocky_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
did you use Nortoons instructions Rocky?
Yes I did!
Yes I did! Does Rocky have RLETS? That may be the difference?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Yes I did! Does Rocky have RLETS? That may be the difference?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
:rofl: sorry, no RLETS.
 
Ferret, sorry I couldn't help anymore. Everything I told you I learned from Cormanus' post. And now I guess I have to go imgur and learn how to use that :)
 
OK, so I'm a little late to this thread and so this may have been addressed in one of the earlier posts, but I don't seem to be having any trouble posting pictures from Photobucket. Is this because I pay for the "Ad-Free" option on PB?

Here's a picture I just uploaded to PB of my old CB1100 making its way back into a showroom for the first time in 4 years.
 
Thread starter
What I have read, those that pay for ad free service will be able to continue hosting until December.
 
After posting the picture above, I took a minute to look up some things on Photobucket about this issue and I believe that my Ad-free "Plus" subscription allows 3rd party hosting until the end of 2018. I assume that my photos will disappear from here after that. I guess I will have to migrate my photos from there to some other photo hosting site, but at least it appears that I have some time to accomplish that.
 
In out sit around post ride/dinner discussion last night, it was opined that the other photo hosting sites will follow photobucket in charging for 3rd party picture posting eventually ( offroad figured Facebook would as well now that they have 1.4 billion people hooked)
 
I just signed up for a free trial to smugmug. It looks like it would cost $4.00 per month, but it looks like it's pretty easy to use. Here's a pic I took on a recent trip to Wisconsin. Hope it shows up.


The ferret_imp said:
I would opine that, while they all may very well charge to host photos on their sites, it is less likely that they will charge for embedding photos into blogs/forums/Amazon/EBay, etc. since there is no apparent cost to them for doing this 3rd party hosting.
 
Hm, I do not see the point, why not to use imgur?!

[li]It is very easy to use,[/li] [li]it is for free,[/li] [li]it just works.
[/li]

Imgur

This picture is from my imgur:
acc2bfe33e9d564b45cacc00240d8997.jpg


ef778b827cff6162027f423c450acb4b.jpg
 
Hmm...the point is that there are 30 posts in here about difficulties with imgur. I'm sure that it's obvious to you, but not to everyone. Smugmug, at least so far, seems to work similarly to Photobucket, doesn't cost very much, and has other features in it that make it work better than Photobucket for things other than embedding photos in a forum. Plus, Imgur is not likely to remain free for very long, or it will have ads that slow things down.

Just trying to present options that are easy to use.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I just signed up for a free trial to smugmug. It looks like it would cost $4.00 per month, but it looks like it's pretty easy to use. Here's a pic I took on a recent trip to Wisconsin. Hope it shows up.


The ferret_imp said:
I would opine that, while they all may very well charge to host photos on their sites, it is less likely that they will charge for embedding photos into blogs/forums/Amazon/EBay, etc. since there is no apparent cost to them for doing this 3rd party hosting.

3rd party hosting is not free, the provider is charged money for the bandwidth (MB of traffic loaded). 3rd parties try to get the traffic to visit their website so they can generate revenue on ads for the user benefit of hosting the images.
 
I need clarification. Kenny, are you saying that Photobucket is charged something with I embed an image I store there on this forum?
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I need clarification. Kenny, are you saying that Photobucket is charged something with I embed an image I store there on this forum?
Yes, because it is not stored on this forum. It is stored on the Photobucket server and loaded to everyone's computer from there. Every time it is loaded, either on the photobucket website or this forum, photobucket pays money to their internet provider based on total amount of data transfered. They do get a large discount being a large website with a lot of traffic compared to a small forum like this one but they depend on ads bringing in more income than the cost of the "free" service they provide. They lose big on 3rd party hosting because they are still paying for the storage and bandwidth that your photo costs them with no ad revenue being generated.

This forum could host the photo's and skip that step but would face the same challenge of how much would the storage and bandwidth would cost. Some forums charge a small fee like $25/year for a premium membership to allow for extra features like photo storage.
 
Back
Top