Photobucket picture hosting changes

kennyw

Road warrior
Thread starter
It's already hitting the ferret. Photobucket is no longer going to allow 3rd party hosting without paying for the largest account at $400/year. Time to find another source for picture hosting on forums.

Quote:From Photobuckets Terms page -

Types of Accounts, Pricing and Limits

Visiting : There is no cost to visit the Site or to register as a Member.
Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If a free account Member exceeds their Content Limit, their account will be immediately suspended and they will need to become a “Paying Member” (defined below) in order to continue accessing their account. You can upgrade to a Plus account at any time.
Ad-free Account : The Ad-free Account offers Members the ability to use the Site without seeing any third party banner advertisements when logged into your Ad-free Account (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements). This account level is available for $2.49 / month, payable by the Member on a monthly recurring basis.
Plus Account : The Plus Account offers several paid options that may give the Paying Member more storage, bandwidth, 3rd party image hosting, image linking and/or other services as outlined below. Once and during such period of time in which you subscribe to and pay for a Plus Account, we will consider you a "Paying Member." Please note that all Plus Account subscriptions are billed annually at the commencement of the service. Photobucket may also offer a monthly billing option for its Plus Accounts (see terms and restrictions, below).
Available Plus Account Plans : Photobucket offers the following Plus Account Plans:
o Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting.

Additional Features of all Plus Accounts : When you upgrade to any Plus Account, you will also receive:
o Premium Support. You have direct access to our tech support team. Email our PLUS Support Team

o No Ads: When you're logged into your Plus account, you won't see any ads on Photobucket pages (note, viewers of your images within Photobucket will see ads unless they, too, have Plus Accounts and you will continue to see Photobucket offers and announcements).

Read more: Private Group Photo & Video Sharing
 
Imgur has no limitations on how much you can upload and will be around far after photobucket goes dark. You can make an account and set up albums as well.

imgur.com
 
I've been using postimage for a while now.
 
I can still see my images here. Can anyone else?

efd776a498a36a6885c15c0d149c701d.jpg
 
Yep. This from Photobucket.

7320d1dd22a7ef183387b41a949cd630.jpg
 
I see it Randy, and Cormanus' too.
 
I used to use postimage but at one point the site got fouled up. What I liked about post image is the links to various hosted file sizes.

Then I switched to imgur. Nice thing about imgur is that it renames your files and strips EXIF metadata automatically. Downside is that I must resize offline before uploading.
 
Got an email from them this morning I guess (electricity was off for 24 hours).... looks like Ferret will have to find and learn a new system. Drats. Until then...no more photos.
 
Me too I guess.
 
I'm not sure what to do about all the How To's and History of the CB I did. Would be a real pain to go back and reinsert several hundred images.
 
Maybe I'm not the most tech-savy guy, but I don't understand the problem here. I simply attach appropriately sized photos from my hard drive. What is the benefit of using Photobucket?

Is this photo visible? (from my hard drive).

(Not my dog...ours was a long-hair miniature wiener dog.)
 
Late last fall I went over my PB limit. I tried to delete some pics so I could get back under 2 GB's and post a ride report. PB locked my account and wouldn't let me and has basically tried to hold me hostage to pay and get back into my account. They plastered me with e-mails to try and get me to sign up for a paid account. Leading up to that the site was becoming more unstable and hammered me with ads non stop.

Been meaning to look at another option as I have a several rides to report and lots of pics to post.

The internet is full of message traffic and complaints about how PB has gone down hill lately.
Gumby...your pic is showing. How did you do that from your hard drive? Any tech savvy folks on the forum, Can someone link back/access to Gumby's HD using that photo?
 
Frulk_imp said:
Late last fall I went over my PB limit. I tried to delete some pics so I could get back under 2 GB's and post a ride report. PB locked my account and wouldn't let me and has basically tried to hold me hostage to pay and get back into my account. They plastered me with e-mails to try and get me to sign up for a paid account. Leading up to that the site was becoming more unstable and hammered me with ads non stop.

Been meaning to look at another option as I have a several rides to report and lots of pics to post.

The internet is full of message traffic and complaints about how PB has gone down hill lately.
Gumby...your pic is showing. How did you do that from your hard drive? Any tech savvy folks on the forum, Can someone link back/access to Gumby's HD using that photo?
I just follow the instructions in the attachment box below the reply window. It shows you your own directory on your hard drive and you pick the file you want to attach. You also have the choice to embed it into the body of the post. I'm pretty sure this process doesn't allow anyone access to my hard drive, but anyone else should be able to cut & paste or save the image.

If it is oversize (above 250 kb or so) it will tell you. Usually I have to resize my photos using photopaint or photogallery or whatever photo software available to resize high resolution photos down to manageable size for the forum or to share in e-mails. Maybe that is the benefit of using Photobucket if it automatically reduces large files for sharing.
 
Testing the attachment / insert into post function. There is a file size limit of 250 kb, but it's handy. I've always used external photo hosting with links.

 
And Stichill has just—inadvertently probably—demonstrated the great irritation of uploading images directly to the forum: there is no way easily to control the dimensions of the image. Even if the file size is small, pictures can be enormous and dominate the screen to the point where it's hard to read the text. Guth has somehow set things up so linked images remain a manageable size.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
And Stichill has just—inadvertently probably—demonstrated the great irritation of uploading images directly to the forum: there is no way easily to control the dimensions of the image. Even if the file size is small, pictures can be enormous and dominate the screen to the point where it's hard to read the text. Guth has somehow set things up so linked images remain a manageable size.
No photograph is ready to be posted, anywhere, straight out of camera. I find it nearly always necessary to crop, straighten the horizon, reduce the resolution to - typically - 800x600 pixels, and remove the metadata. One simply can no longer depend on the server operator to do this.

One great advantage of linking to a photo-hosting service (such as postimage) instead of uploading to forum server is the ability to remove the image from perpetual accessibility. As an experimet:



This one should be gone after about a week (or sooner, if I decide so :)
 
Okay, I am on my android tablet running Taptalk. I select the "Quick response" at the bottom of the screen and there is an up ^ arrow to the right. I select that and it takes me to the photos I took with this tablet or the ability to take a new photo and it seems to upload with no resizing. Is this because I'm using Tapatalk? It seems to be new.
468e4619610aecc17c2631e5aaf8b534.jpg


Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top