PHOTOBUCKET DILEMMA

Here's the Photobucket "i" screen shot of MTC's photo. If you look closely, the heading states the resolution size (960X717). The "s" version in Photobucket with all the ads and stuff is just a larger view of the forum picture. I don't believe that it has a higher resolution at all, but I'm not positive.

I got to the "i" version using Chrome on a MacBook. I can do the same on my Google Chromebook. I CAN'T get to the higher resolution "i" using Safari on my MacBook. To review, it's what I showed with the three screenshots a few posts ago, but that only applies to the Chrome browser as far as I know. I'm beginning to figure this out, which is scary. I've been reviewing the higher resolution photos of other members using both Chrome and Safari, looking for a Photobucket alternative, if necessary.


EmptySea_imp said:
Using Chrome, on the first click of the forum photo I got the "s" version with the PB ads and sidebar text.

Then I clicked out of that window.

On the second click of the forum photo I got the "i" version with none of the PB extras. Just a full resolution (1024X___) filling most of the screen.

Chrome tricked the PB software.
On Safari, I only get the "s" version.
Regarding privacy settings, I am new to all this social media stuff. You can see that I don't have many posts on this forum. That number plus about 6 posts on GL1800riders is my lifetime total. I haven't looked at the PB privacy settings so I assume everyone can walk through my stuff, which might not be smart, but I also don't have anything to hide. So far.
 
Well, when I click on the barn picture using an iPad Air 2 with Safari, I get the s picture with ads, etc. When I use a PC running Win 7 (at home), I get the i picture with no ads or anything.
 
This situation is bizarre. I was reading capttwb136's post about his handlebar deflectors, clicked on one of the pictures and was taken to the 'ixxx' image immediately. Came here to report on it and tried EmptySea's two pictures and was taken to the 'sxxx' page. Go figure. There's still no response from Photobucket to my email.

Now, EmptySea, let me see if I can answer your questions. First, you're doing fine with posting photos. As kennyw points out, the problem here, if there is one, is with photo bucket.

Secondly, if you look at the Photobucket link you posted, you'll see it comprises two parts:

1. URLhttp://s1318.photobucket.com/user/emptysea43/media/17f1c276d0af8685b48d6b95ab6dbab3_zpsgjw0vrgx.jpg.html]; and

2. IMGhttp://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t656/emptysea43/17f1c276d0af8685b48d6b95ab6dbab3_zpsgjw0vrgx.jpg[/IMG

Number one is the URL of the Photobucket page which contains your photo—the so-called 'sxxx' page after the first letter of the URL. It looks like this:



You can see all the Photobucket propaganda around it and links to other bits of the site.

The second is the URL of where the image is actually stored on the Photobucket site—the so-called 'ixxx' page. It should display like this:



It's just the image in its full resolution. I had to load Chrome on my computer and use nvrbob's trick to get the second page to display at all.

Finally, all you really need to see the picture on the forum is the second link—that is IMGhttp://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t656/emptysea43/17f1c276d0af8685b48d6b95ab6dbab3_zpsgjw0vrgx.jpg[/IMG. Interestingly, when I use the IMG link on Photobucket, that's all it gives me. I've no idea why others are treated differently.

Hope that answers your questions.
 
Man that is too small to view. I clicked on your pic on my ipad and it popped up in another screen the same size. Headed for the pc now.

ok, same thing on my PC

using safari
 
1 1/4" x 1/2" on my ipad

2 1/8 x 1 1/8" on my pc
 
Safari on my MacBook goes slightly past full screen and needs to scroll left to right to see it all.

Waiting on others to weigh in I guess.
 
I see what Ferret sees on my iPAD. I'll go fire up the PC with Win7 and see what happens.

OK, using Explorer I still see a little picture. I'm not measuring it though :)
 
Well I wonder what you get with "Cormanus Goes to Texas" because I used the same hosting site and the comparable image codes. (Even stole his small italic photo captions. Thought that was a nice touch.)
 
Cormanus goes to Texas pic size

on ipad 4 3/4" x 3 1/2"

on pc 7 1/4" x 5 1/2"
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cormanus goes to Texas pic size

on ipad 4 3/4" x 3 1/2"

on pc 7 1/4" x 5 1/2"
Thanks. The pc sizing looks good. Cormanus can tell me what I did wrong with the postimg.org codes. I also just registered on that site moments before posting on this forum. Maybe they're still processing my paperwork:huh:
 
nvbobr,

tried your image on Firefox, Chrome and Safari and no problems at all. The code in your post looks fine too. I can't connecting to the forum with my iPad using Safari, Chrome or Tapatalk and so can't reproduce the problem there. Seems to work OK on my phone.

I used postimg.org for my trip to Texas and it worked OK, although it was not as easy to use as Photobucket insofar as I had to keep adding the IMG tags.

Edit: got to it on both browsers and Tapatalk on the iPad and it did everything properly.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
nvbobr,

tried your image on Firefox, Chrome and Safari and no problems at all. The code in your post looks fine too. I can't connecting to the forum with my iPad using Safari, Chrome or Tapatalk and so can't reproduce the problem there. Seems to work OK on my phone.

I used postimg.org for my trip to Texas and it worked OK, although it was not as easy to use as Photobucket insofar as I had to keep adding the IMG tags.

Edit: got to it on both browsers and Tapatalk on the iPad and it did everything properly.
Thanks again for your help.
 
nvbobr, you are very welcome. Here's the text of a response I got from Photobucket:

Quote:Hello,

When a linked image is clicked, it now opens up on Photobucket.com, as opposed to opening as a separate, full-size image in a new window. Please note that if an album is set to private, people will not be able to view the other photos in that album or access other parts of your account.

For more information on Link Back options, and how to change them, click here.
I am seeking clarification, but it looks to me like there's no longer a way of getting your browser easily to display the full-size image. That's a great pity. If so, Photobucket should stop teasing us with the pretense that it's available.

By the way, changing the link-back option didn't seem to make any difference; nor is the explanation at all clear.
 
I got another reply from Photobucket—

Quote:
Photobucket Support
Feb 25, 12:48 PM

Hello,

The full sized image is stored on the Photobucket site. But you are correct, the option to link out original size images is no longer available. There currently isn't a plan to add that feature back. The display size for your linked out image depends on the size you selected in your upload options. To change you upload options, please see the following article for how to: http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/200723884-Upload-Size-Options

I have forwarded your feedback to our Product managers to prioritize for future development.

Thank you
Looks like that's it unless you use nvbobr's trick with Chrome.

But ...

If you're presented with the image in the standard Photobucket page, you can click on the magnifying glass icon at the top right of the image and you will see a larger version of the image which it looks like you can then download if you really want to see it without all the Photobucket gumf. To do that, right click on the image and choose <Save image as ...>.

In both Chrome and Firefox (but not Safari) I've also been able to right click and select <Copy image address>. Pasting that into the address bar has yielded the image on it's own.

I guess this is only an issue for people who want to look at larger images without Photobucket's advertising.
 
Back
Top