Penny wise - Pound foolish

HA .... Elvis IS alive.... and selling CB1100's in Hawaii.
 
The one t-shirt I wish I'd bought said Elvis is dead! Get over it!
 
I stopped in at Kiser back in October 2014. They had a black Standard (maybe it was this bike) and a DLX on the floor. Chatted with the owner for a bit. He is originally from Texas, so we talked about our favorite ride spots. Nice guy and super laid back place like a lot of places on The Big Island.
 
Kiser is a good dealer over on the Big Island and they've been eager to provide me price quotes (I'm over on Oahu). There really are only two Honda shops in the entire state. Luckily my local dealer on Oahu did beat out Kiser's prices and I saved myself the hassles of shipping a bike back to Oahu where all overseas freight originally arrives anyway.

Riding buddy did buy their leftover 2010 VFR1200 when Honda chopped prices on that model and he got a great deal.

I had my eye on that in stock bike which they've had for a long time (along with a couple of VFR800's) but my local dealer cut me a decent deal with Honda Bucks so I ended up having them ship in a bike from Honda's west coast warehouse.

That said, their price OTD is good for Hawaii, add $300 to ship it back to Oahu, add $600-700 to ship it back to San Diego on Pasha if you want it badly enough. Hey, you can ride it around the Big Island, the ride it around Oahu, THEN ship it home!

Need some help over here, just drop me a PM!

Aloha,
Huladog
 
This is an example of my usual Sunday ride early in the morning to avoid the tourist traffic. It's a shot of my first CB1100.



If you're wondering it's amazing because regular unleaded (with ethanol) is about $2.35 or so which is interesting since we used to have highest gas costs. I think the highest was about $4.50+ not too long ago. We may be lower than SoCal right now.

You CAN find ethanol-free gas around the island since they have it for marine engines, but they usually price it at or above Premium.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
Nice. Hula, as lovely as the islands are, I'd be concerned about running out of new roads to ride. At least here on the mainland, the routing possibilities are nearly endless. Do you find yourself riding on the same roads over and over?
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Nice. Hula, as lovely as the islands are, I'd be concerned about running out of new roads to ride. At least here on the mainland, the routing possibilities are nearly endless. Do you find yourself riding on the same roads over and over?
You hit the nail on the head. Yep, you tend to run the same routes since you really are limited on an island. I envy you guys who can head out the door and keep going for days to visit some far away destination.

Me? I keep going in circles! Then again you have to remember it's all about the ride, not the destination.



So when I travel for business on the mainland I try to extend my trips and rent a car to visit various motorcycle and auto museums just so I can have short road trips.

When I drive from places like LA to Phoenix and I'm in the middle of nowhere I constantly ask myself "what do these people do for a living way out here?". I like the vast distances, puts stuff into perspective when I get back home.

Aloha,
Huladog
 
quietguy_imp said:
Me? I keep going in circles! Then again you have to remember it's all about the ride, not the destination.



You nailed it Huladog...
I agree too :thumbsup:
In this small province, 90% surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean, I ride the same roads a lot, but with our jagged coastline the twisties are wonderful and I never get tired of them.
It really is all about the ride.
 
On daily rides you can only get so far from home so I tend to ride the same roads a lot as well. Luckily I like the roads around my house and the surrounding counties.

Hula, when I am in a desolate place I'm always thinking "man, people live everywhere!" lol

Every once in awhile I am reminded how different the environments are that we members live in and have to ride in. Like in the headlight aiming thread where one member said he does most of his night riding in the city with lots of ambient light. I have NEVER ridden in a city at night that I recall. I don't even think about riding in a city in the daytime. Cincinnati is a pretty big city about 30 miles west of me, and I have been to the city maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 25 years. Once to a Bengals game, once to a Reds game, once to a function with my wife. Nothing in a city for me. another example is the guys that ride around so Cal. Lane splitting and all that traffic. I am never in traffic lol
 
Big deal :). Try one that's ~1100 feet long and a couple hundred feet wide for a couple of months--or more. :)
 
No I made a raft and got away with Clint Eastwood :)
 
Back
Top