Pastry Run

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The reality is that I have not been riding much at all lately. But my eyes have been improving so I got a chance to hop on the CB for a short ride to the north side of Portland and the Kenton and St John's neighborhoods. Initially this was going to be all about grabbing a shot of my CB with the Paul Bunyan statue for the Monthly Photo Challenge thread. But then I realized that the PB statue isn't too far away from my favorite donut stop: the Tulip Pastry Shop. Temps were somewhere in the upper 30's / lower 40's when I made my pastry run. It was a nice ride, with the exception of all of the gravel spewed about the streets (leftover from the winter storm that hit this town not too long ago).

Paul was looking a bit worse for wear than the last time I saw him. There is a group of people working to raise money to help with the cost of paint and other materials needed to get old Paul fixed up again. Their effort is appropriately named: [url=http://paintpaulpdx.org/]"Paint Paul". Despite all the wear and tear, Paul made for a great background item to place my CB in front of for a quick photo.


Paul in all his "rustic glory".

After I said goodbye to Paul I headed over to the Tulip to enjoy my all-time favorite pasty creation: the half 'n half bar. The Tulip Pasty Shop fits right in with the CB1100 vibe — it's a real time warp. The place has been around for well over a half a century now and I doubt that it has changed much at all during that time. The half 'n half bar features one half maple frosting and one half chocolate frosting over a bar filled with butter cream. All made there on premise of course. Good stuff. I wish I had a camera on a lanyard, ferret style, for the ride home when I crossed over the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Johns_Bridge]St John's Bridge. It's truly a beautiful bridge.


The true highlight of the morning — the half 'n half bar.

(Okay, so while the half 'n half bar was definitely not shy on substance, I realize that this seat time report is. I really just wanted an excuse to post a photo that involved some awesome less-than-healthy food, much like those shared so often by our esteemed ferret. Can you really blame me?)
 
GREAT REPORT Guth. Why? Intersting notes regarding historical stuff combined with a cool photo with a beautiful motorcycle, an absolutely classy looking helmet and food that is not only yummy but probably really bad for you, and the great news that you were able to get out for another ride.

Good job my man
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. As the saying goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder. This held true for riding the CB as well as the half 'n half bar, lol.
 
A most excellent report Guth. More would be just fine.
 
Nice report :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If there is a drawback to riding it's when I "spoil" myself and munch on non-healthy donuts and such :D :D :D
But what the heck, once in a while won't hurt you :D
There is a similar statue of Paul Bunyan in Bangor, Maine, but I don't have a picture of him.
 
Nice! looks like beautiful country. I got lost in a time warp reading about and looking at pictures of the bridge. :biker:
b1c33ef01e47aa6252a53182df7c3754.jpg
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
Nice report :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
If there is a drawback to riding it's when I "spoil" myself and munch on non-healthy donuts and such :D :D :D
But what the heck, once in a while won't hurt you :D
There is a similar statue of Paul Bunyan in Bangor, Maine, but I don't have a picture of him.
Turns out that Wikipedia's Statues of Paul Bunyan page (lol) features a picture of Bangor's PB.

My favorite local nod to PB is the Blue Ox Bar up at Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood. I took The ferret and his wife up to the lodge when they were out in this neck of the woods some time back.



 
Thread starter
Yes, I believe the scenes that they filmed for that movie featured exterior shots of Timberline.

The lodge is awesome, everything is way "overbuilt and rustic in all the right ways.
 
Looks good, Guth!

Sunday mornings the guys gather here. All different bike makes. Good coffee. Sandwiches. Muffins. Gotta fit ya bike between the cahs.

 
Nhawk.. That can't be New England. NOt enough Subarus in the parking lot. I swear every other car we saw on our New England trip was a Subaru.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Nhawk.. That can't be New England. NOt enough Subarus in the parking lot. I swear every other car we saw on our New England trip was a Subaru.
That's a fact ferret! New England is the hotbed for Subaru and has been for many years - and I happen to have one too :D :D :D
New Englanders like their winter sports and the AWD gets them there.
 
Thread starter
Subaru's are kind of like cockroaches in places like parts of New England, Colorado and here in the Pacific Northwest — they are all over the place and seemingly there is no stopping them, lol. We had one for a while but there just wasn't enough room in the back for our big dogs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Oh boy, if you want to see Subaru's, we got 'em here by the truck load. I'd honestly estimate that 7 of 10 cars on the road here are Subaru's.
 
There is a Volvo in the near corner! Yeah there are lots of Subarus ova heah neah Bostin. We have a few dealers nearby and we get lots of snow and 600,000 students at many colleges and Democratic voters. I don't know how nice they are but I do know, "you meet the nicest people on a Honda!"

The ferret_imp said:
Nhawk.. That can't be New England. NOt enough Subarus in the parking lot. I swear every other car we saw on our New England trip was a Subaru.
 
Back
Top