PAIR Valve

So, is there any downside to plugging the PAIR valve? It obviously serves a function and by blocking it you disable that function. Sounds like this serves a similar purpose to the air injection on my old FI Triumph Bonneville. Folks would block off the air injection on those bikes as well when installing aftermarket exhaust. Left mine alone but did have a custom map from Arrow installed with the slip on mufflers my bike had. Bike ran flawlessly. I have a new Arrow slip on muffler on order for my CB1100. Interested to find out if the bike pops on decal.
 
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
So, is there any downside to plugging the PAIR valve? It obviously serves a function and by blocking it you disable that function. Sounds like this serves a similar purpose to the air injection on my old FI Triumph Bonneville. Folks would block off the air injection on those bikes as well when installing aftermarket exhaust. Left mine alone but did have a custom map from Arrow installed with the slip on mufflers my bike had. Bike ran flawlessly. I have a new Arrow slip on muffler on order for my CB1100. Interested to find out if the bike pops on decal.
I believe popping is not pronounced when adding a slip-on but is obvious when removing the oem headers w/ have the cat convertor.
I believe popping is not pronounced when adding a slip-on but is obvious when removing the oem headers w/ have the cat convertor.
Pair valve plugging only stops extra air from getting sucked into spent exhaust to ignite unspent fuel. It's a simple post-ignition exhaust igniter.
 
I have read these bikes are setup pretty lean from the factory due to emissions. Wonder if blocking off the air injection enriches the air fuel charge to reduce the popping.
 
I just don't like the idea of shooting dirty, already-mostly-combusted, superheated air into my nice clean engine. Thanks for the write-up, on how to do this and why! I ended up blocking the PAIR at the forward-most hose under the tank, as it was a PITA to get my slightly-too-big but-smallest-I-could-get 5/16" rubber plug into the airbox. Then, once I had it in I worried it could pop out and get loose in the airbox. On Triumphs, the plug that comes with the air injection removal kits often farts out of the outer airbox. I remedied that for my dad's Thruxton with a better quality plug and some rubber cement, but on the CB I just couldn't get to the right spot inside the airbox with confidence.
 
No dirty air is injected into your engine. Go read how the PAIR VALVE works.
 
I bought one of those universal body plug kits from Advance Auto a while back. One of the plugs in the kit fit the small PAIR hole inside the air box perfectly. Another choice is to go to your local craft store and buy set of the small tapered corks used for test tubes, etc. I was going to use one of these until I found the rubber plug that fit. After installation, my bike runs fantastic and not one once of popping from the exhaust on decal. I would recommend this modification to anybody out there running an aftermarket exhaust system. I used to own a 2011 Triumph Bonneville and one of the more common mods on those bikes was to block off the air injection system.
 
A large ball bearing will also work, as long as it's big enough not to get sucked down the hole. I used a single shot from a 00 shotshell, but I'm sure there are alternative ways to find one.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
No dirty air is injected into your engine. Go read how the PAIR VALVE works.
Yes, it is quite simple and effective; the additional oxygen completes the burn process in the exhaust header, cleaning up the exhaust emissions of hydrocarbons. Has nothing to do with particulates, that's a diesel thing. Nothing is sucked into the engine, it's clean air inducted into the header downstream of the exhaust valves. If it helps emissions why mess with it? Zero gain in performance.
 
kmoney_imp said:
A large ball bearing will also work, as long as it's big enough not to get sucked down the hole. I used a single shot from a 00 shotshell, but I'm sure there are alternative ways to find one.
That works for me. Thanks
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
No dirty air is injected into your engine. Go read how the PAIR VALVE works.
Yes, it is quite simple and effective; the additional oxygen completes the burn process in the exhaust header, cleaning up the exhaust emissions of hydrocarbons. Has nothing to do with particulates, that's a diesel thing. Nothing is sucked into the engine, it's clean air inducted into the header downstream of the exhaust valves. If it helps emissions why mess with it? Zero gain in performance.
Yes, it is quite simple and effective; the additional oxygen completes the burn process in the exhaust header, cleaning up the exhaust emissions of hydrocarbons. Has nothing to do with particulates, that's a diesel thing. Nothing is sucked into the engine, it's clean air inducted into the header downstream of the exhaust valves. If it helps emissions why mess with it? Zero gain in performance. Most guys, myself included, disable it to get rid of the machine gun popping you get on deceleration. This becomes an issue if you switch to a non stock muffler or open header

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
I did it for the popping as well. If you go for dyno work or of you use an Auto Tuner, you must delete it because it will throw off the readings of the tuners (it's basically injecting fresh air into your exhaust after the fact, so your AF ratio will be read wrong).
 
Back
Top