PAIR Valve

HondaJon_imp

Been there
Thread starter
First, let me give props to Deanohh for enlightening me on how the PAIR valve functions and exactly what it does. If you have added a slip on (Staintune) and are tired of the popping on decleration, read on....

Pull the right side cover and remove your air filter, Inside the airbox up, front and to the right of the opening, is the singular hole that the PAIR valve sucks air from. All you have to do is insert a rubber plug into this hole and presto, no air to inject into the exhaust ports and no more deceleration popping. Remove this plug when you want to return your PAIR system to normal function.



You can also look on page 5-66 of the factory service manual, or at this exploded view, to confirm that the hole is the only point of air entry.

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/oem-parts/HONDA/2013/CB1100/AIR-INJECTION-CONTROL-VALVE
 
As a pollution control method, the ecu opens the valve at certain times to allow fresh air to be drawn through the reed valves into the exhaust to provide extra air to complete combustion of gasses that have incompletely burned inside the engine. The popping was always there but you start to hear it with a louder exhaust. Its harmless but some guys don't like it..... Some do.
 
I'll add my thanks to Deanohh as well for bringing forward his knowledge about the PAIR valve to the forum. While I haven't touched mine, I always appreciate learning more about what makes my bike tick.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
As a pollution control method, the ecu opens the valve at certain times to allow fresh air to be drawn through the reed valves into the exhaust to provide extra air to complete combustion of gasses that have incompletely burned inside the engine. The popping was always there but you start to hear it with a louder exhaust. Its harmless but some guys don't like it..... Some do.
As long as the popping isn't Backfiring.Where too low an
Octane is used.
Because incorrect mapping for aftermarket exhaust can cause
strange sounds like backfiring or popping.
Running lean would cause it.
Running rich would probably cause the engine to stall or
not turn over.
Guth_imp said:
I'll add my thanks to Deanohh as well for bringing forward his knowledge about the PAIR valve to the forum. While I haven't touched mine, I always appreciate learning more about what makes my bike tick.
I heard that Honda was considering adding a couple
extra pages to their 128 pg. Honda Owners manuel.
On What makes your Honda Tick.
But the engineers decided agin it.
They weren't about to give away any trade secrets.
Since every model is so precious.Like a newborn baby is what.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
As a pollution control method, the ecu opens the valve at certain times to allow fresh air to be drawn through the reed valves into the exhaust to provide extra air to complete combustion of gasses that have incompletely burned inside the engine. The popping was always there but you start to hear it with a louder exhaust. Its harmless but some guys don't like it..... Some do.
I like the deceleration popping sound.
(My old Transalp had it even stronger - I liked that too.)
 
Could just be thqt when you changed out the new exhaust
you didn't replace the gasket or crush gasket off the header.
So a slight leak is letting air in/out.You can re-use the oem
gasket but it may be hard to get unstuck.
 
Thread starter
Popping on decel has always been indicative of a lean condition or exhaust leak. The PAIR system, in essence, creates just this by injecting unnecessary air into the combustion chamber. I really noticed it with the Staintune and stock header, but I could never find a leak. Deanohh's explanation solved the mystery.
 
HondaJon_imp said:
Popping on decel has always been indicative of a lean condition or exhaust leak. The PAIR system, in essence, creates just this by injecting unnecessary air into the combustion chamber. I really noticed it with the Staintune and stock header, but I could never find a leak. Deanohh's explanation solved the mystery.
A common problem when changing out to aftermarket
exhaust is the gasket.Sometimes you can't use the old
gasket.I had that problem with the cobra 6-into 6
pipes for my Valkyrie Tourer.The Tourer was a 6-into-2
OEM exhaust and one crush gasket was fine and the other
wasn't.So my Dealer was lucky and managed to get shipped
a new set.
So If the crush gasket is the villain,then other fixes won't
compensate for.
 
I installed a Power Commander this morning and noticed that the popping has gotten quite a bit louder with my Staintune and K&N Filter, especially with decel or when shifting at high revs. During one shift it almost sounded like a backfire. I'm going to try plugging the PAIR valve next weekend to see if that helps. If that doesn't do it, I'll try a higher octane fuel. I'm currently running 87.
 
Joola_imp said:
I installed a Power Commander this morning and noticed that the popping has gotten quite a bit louder with my Staintune and K&N Filter, especially with decel or when shifting at high revs. During one shift it almost sounded like a backfire. I'm going to try plugging the PAIR valve next weekend to see if that helps. If that doesn't do it, I'll try a higher octane fuel. I'm currently running 87.
the pair valve will help quite a bit, changing octane will do nothing, a custom map might help a little more and will will make the bike run better everywhere.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Joola_imp said:
I installed a Power Commander this morning and noticed that the popping has gotten quite a bit louder with my Staintune and K&N Filter, especially with decel or when shifting at high revs. During one shift it almost sounded like a backfire. I'm going to try plugging the PAIR valve next weekend to see if that helps. If that doesn't do it, I'll try a higher octane fuel. I'm currently running 87.
the pair valve will help quite a bit, changing octane will do nothing, a custom map might help a little more and will will make the bike run better everywhere.
Thanks Deanohh. I want to do a custom map but I'm holding off until I decide whether or not to pull the trigger on new headers.
 
Thread starter
Joola,

Deanohh is dead on. I was running the same set up as you and once I blocked that hole, the popping ended.

Oh, If you decide to change your header, go with a CAT free one, trust me on this.....BIG DIFFERENCE...... I just installed a motogear unit and all I can say is WOW. The TSR air funnel I highly recommend as well.
 
What exactly have you guys been using to plug the pair valve hole inside the CB1100 airbox? I took a peek in there and left it alone for now. With the constant vacuum created in there, isn't pressing a plug in the hole a bit risky? The plug could easily get sucked into the intakes. That's certainly not a good thing....
 
736cc_imp said:
What exactly have you guys been using to plug the pair valve hole inside the CB1100 airbox? I took a peek in there and left it alone for now. With the constant vacuum created in there, isn't pressing a plug in the hole a bit risky? The plug could easily get sucked into the intakes. That's certainly not a good thing....
I think the vacuum is stronger within the hose.....but just in case I plugged the other end of the hose at the actual valve. Up in front of the tank instead of in the airbox. And reattached the hose.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
736cc_imp said:
What exactly have you guys been using to plug the pair valve hole inside the CB1100 airbox? I took a peek in there and left it alone for now. With the constant vacuum created in there, isn't pressing a plug in the hole a bit risky? The plug could easily get sucked into the intakes. That's certainly not a good thing....
I think the vacuum is stronger within the hose.....but just in case I plugged the other end of the hose at the actual valve. Up in front of the tank instead of in the airbox. And reattached the hose.
I think the vacuum is stronger within the hose.....but just in case I plugged the other end of the hose at the actual valve. Up in front of the tank instead of in the airbox. And reattached the hose.
I'm guessing tank needs removal to do as you did. A pic or 2 of what you are talking about possible?
 
I didn't remove tank but it would make it easier. You can reach in up under the front center of the tank. Its the front hose plugged into the r side of the valve. See thread NEW BLACK PIPE, post 14 and 16. Don't have pics.
 
Back
Top