Oregon coast

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Took the day off and decided to do a loop: Gresham to McMinville, then over to the Neskowin on the coast, head north to Pacific City, Tillamook to Cannon Beach on hiway 101, then back east to Portland on 26.

22373f32b99607e2a81094c6c9ed59b2.jpg


Wilsonville Road hugs the Williamette River and what a lovely road--lots of horse ranches and farms. I saw signs for walnuts and hazlenuts.

7becdae08e7accf99c9010a254606cc0.jpg


Strange housing development surrounded by nothing but trees. Long, tall and narrow homes. I wonder what they look like on the inside.
b18500c701c063f027de0d54569a7654.jpg

4b7addcb062985c010f8dfd6c21cfa56.jpg


a9c65bf743bf2082df1556e04faf5378.jpg


The Evergreen Air museum Where you can see the Howard Hughs plane



Heading towards the coast


A number of single lane bridges



Started at 10am from Gresham and by 1:00 was at the coast.
 
Lovely looking country pdedse. I'm kinda jealous.
 
Thread starter
8413fcc6fda688db42cc10b66b3f1e5b.jpg


As you get near the coast, the dairy farms appear
35f61c558d7f2ac4be323df835b64e6c.jpg


Just north of Neskowin
99c1cfb3a6aeeecfedd45b68880703c3.jpg


Heading towards Pacific City
a1b7e0c5ea755503e4e0124d7abb9f14.jpg


A beautiful day at the beach
501c3d18d05bdba3d14351d433791ea5.jpg

2dd2ed465eea5e4472ebfcc5376ed2f8.jpg


I brought along my new Canon SX740 camara. I mainly bought it for its zoom, and it didn't disappoint. The couple climbing the sand dune, dressed in black, at the bottom:
93803c08a27b6d50110946443dc3b4f5.jpg

And now using the zoom...didn't know there was kid between them:
d288982070d24c8a893c5826a663637a.jpg


Just to the left of the trees on the ridge, you can barely make out a couple sitting:
425eea12a50626a98ad47248157c27cd.jpg

And a close-up:
ac90db73deaedf7c0cbf91fb7a99de75.jpg

A little blurry, but not bad for hand-held about 500-600 meters away
It was turning out to be a fairly warm day at the beach. Surfers doing their thing.
2ead73572c8d8c68dfb300c77c057c7c.jpg

d6419e621e1508b70456a2b2b51c3021.jpg


You forgot the pail:
54cffb5081f647108b4a45dda067fdf3.jpg

I'm liking this camara!

b3ba86bf9089a881cd6ea614e9de58ba.jpg

ea47c937585f587a5c23130ef74e27cb.jpg


A number of sand dunes where you can dune buggy and ride enduro.
4fef1b35bbff7338dcf4391d2c0120ee.jpg

85567326645503510667ba52e1bb6ea8.jpg


Traffic was fairly light--just a gorgeous day to be our riding
8cd56040c567e99e4a544a31061f4cc2.jpg

Cormanus_imp said:
Lovely looking country pdedse. I'm kinda jealous.
Come on over!
 
Just lovely pdedse. The camera seems good too. It's amazing that the pleasant looking ocean is the same one that laps at shores near me.

A day on the bike would be an agreeable thing at the moment.
 
Beautiful pics..
Pdedse, how much for guaranteeing nice and warm weather with the blue sky for So Ontario/CAN ?? :)
 
pdedse_imp said:
Took the day off and decided to do a loop: Gresham to McMinville, then over to the Neskowin on the coast, head north to Pacific City, Tillamook to Cannon Beach on hiway 101, then back east to Portland on 26.

22373f32b99607e2a81094c6c9ed59b2.jpg


Wilsonville Road hugs the Williamette River and what a lovely road--lots of horse ranches and farms. I saw signs for walnuts and hazlenuts.

7becdae08e7accf99c9010a254606cc0.jpg


Strange housing development surrounded by nothing but trees. Long, tall and narrow homes. I wonder what they look like on the inside.
b18500c701c063f027de0d54569a7654.jpg

4b7addcb062985c010f8dfd6c21cfa56.jpg


a9c65bf743bf2082df1556e04faf5378.jpg


The Evergreen Air museum Where you can see the Howard Hughs plane



Heading towards the coast


A number of single lane bridges



Started at 10am from Gresham and by 1:00 was at the coast.

so nice. ride on. :biker:
 
Great photos! I'm just starting my move to Astoria from Seattle. Lots of back and forth. By June I'll be more than ready for a ride and company if your coming out again. Jon Z
 
Thread starter
peterbaron_imp said:
Beautiful pics..
Pdedse, how much for guaranteeing nice and warm weather with the blue sky for So Ontario/CAN ?? :)
Would love to send you some, but I'm not sure if we can spare any! On the other hand, I heard forest fire cautions were given--and it's April! These usually don't begin until July or August. I hope that isn't foreboding for later this summer and early fall--had enough of the smoke and near evacs last year.

More photos...hiway 101 is well named--because there are 101 photo opps.

Just north of Pacific City
8fb465ecd1bb75553253e20dbcae4f2c.jpg

...actually, now that I think of it, PC isn't on 101, you have to veer off from 101 to get to PC. I think the above is on Cape Kiwanda Dr or Sandlake--it seems to change names as you travel either direction.

922015ecf734d0f36158973beec5efc4.jpg


I was about 30-40 meters from these guys who were having fun in the shallows:
970b283e719d392087131de89fa2f93b.jpg


Ok, one was having more fun than the other
b1db4146481a4bfffd0b269385d1b70e.jpg


5a707decacaf2ee22d5d3f136dda3027.jpg


I think it was in Netarts that I pulled over to take a look at Lex's Cool Stuff shop. And there were lots of cool knick-knack things. Lexi herself was on the side of her shop and when she saw me she stopped her watering and encouraged me to go inside...I told her I had no room to purchase anything cool today, but she assured me no matter, and insisted I step inside and look around, try her brownies--she makes 6 batches every day for her customers.
21cf8ead325e2725b577c82becc71c84.jpg


Lexi explained that she moved there 18 years ago, has a little cottage right down on the coast, and started her curios shopt on a whim and it has survived by people bringing her cool things and she sells 'em.
034c9cd7a492a3619f4199c4a03ddd0a.jpg


She told me a few stories, seemed to want to chat some more, but I was getting hot all bundled up in the mc garb.
b7170172c5007ba127491035e41b76f6.jpg

Lovely lady...she pressed the wrapped up brownies into my hands and I was off...

86af8eb8a0c48190b294d094e87add37.jpg

Jonz_imp said:
Great photos! I'm just starting my move to Astoria from Seattle. Lots of back and forth. By June I'll be more than ready for a ride and company if your coming out again. Jon Z
Jonz! Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we do a group ride around Mt. Hood? Sorry, it's been a few years and I can't remember the names.

Would be very happy to ride with you, Astoria and area is great. Good luck with the move.
 
Thread starter
A close-up of the area that let's you see where this area diverges from 101.
455db3119b0c8911990a02e1a9815aa6.jpg


d26d63bf39e106843c4acaa624fcab5b.jpg


I believe I'm entering Oceanside. Blue car parked on the right had three young ladies who were doing the same as I--stopping at all the nice photo spots. We crossed paths at least 3 times, maybe even a 4th. I think they were stalking me--likely, they thought the same of me.
66c88ba5cf58f97c1360c6ed45a06b7b.jpg


4e189904458fe390f3dc546d5fa27ad1.jpg


80448797eb0f8d648fb614ffeb41e659.jpg

Jonz_imp said:
Yes it was the Guth led loop. Also in the smokey Crater Lake gathering.
Ah yes! And I had to ask you there at Crater Lake, too, if we hadn't met before--sorry for the sketchy memory. My excuse is that I teach and all the students' names / faces over 30 plus years hasn't left me much space on the mental hard drive.
 
Thread starter
Signs on the road going north warned of closure at Cape Meares, but it didn't say the lighthouse itself was closed, so time to visit...

e069183e4a93ce9acadc88531a4a8930.jpg

912e9aed11d756391e89c68f908b8e6b.jpg

4a98a5249c430654b7e96a8cb1566be6.jpg
a6942866678e045f2f4a04a4df9fa39f.jpg


6d0d24996cdd3e22a200a3d9a43f43a9.jpg

217b59fc9ee4906c7695a88eea7aa4ac.jpg

d4a4f304995ee28e66ae92096249a5aa.jpg

76433dc920e5dc633c205abdaa219d46.jpg


Normally, one can keep going north and then the road bends back east away from the coast towards Tillamook, but not sure why of the closure, probably washed out somewhere.

At Tillamook, had to decide whether to call it a day or have dinner and stay till sunset. It was such a beautiful day, that it didn't feel right to finish quite yet.

Does Tillamook cheese make it to the midwest and back east? It's easily my favorite. Visit the factory if you're out here, it's fun to watch the whole process.
cedd4487e767427a2a10657c7e5af026.jpg


On to Garibaldi....
 
We have Tillamook ice creme and maybe butter (can’t remember for sure) in Va. Beach. Have to look for cheese.
 
Wow, what an enchanting and breathtaking motorcycle travelogue! So many wonderful scenes; this one is jaw-dropping:

220b6cade1aa954e46592603a4250dcd.jpg


It's fantastic that both the bike and the distant shore / surf are in focus.
 
Thread starter
Bought a sandwich from Subway and at the Garibaldi Marina, had dinner watching the birds waiting their chance for the crab fishermen to leave something for them to gobble up.

e2f900cd05be77366182e4896ebd979c.jpg

c9aa381676fe579f18c73e430ccb4207.jpg


I love marinas. If I ever get too old to move around much, I hope they wheel me to a marina so I can watch the boats come and go.
262a3060edc6752d8f8f93e66ea1928d.jpg

cb076b8f8e73f637cf0490dae2e61a38.jpg


Getting close to hiway 26 which takes me back to Portland
303eed12775ea462cf35ce4b3291a0ff.jpg

bd4a8886cff8795c0cbe43dbe789477e.jpg

0e5ce37dc98d42bad5557def10b18bff.jpg


Last stop to watch the sunset at Arcadia pont, just before Canon Beach
be80008da83df62a2837381bb12bda98.jpg

0e6f043befb0e4576cb357b9d0a7f4d0.jpg

4e9e4c00ad8a3cafa8780472a5eaf146.jpg


At 8pm I headed home. First 45 minutes of the near 2 hour trip there was still light, but then I just settled in behind a van through the dark forests. So much easier to follow someone than to depend on the CB1100 headlights. Started at 10am and walked in the door at 10pm. Wife didn't even bat an eye...not sure if that's a good sign.

Around 300 miles for the day--the longest one day trip on the CB1100 since I went to the West Coast Rally back in August of 2018...hard to believe how much the virus has affected my trips.

April 16, 2021...a better than average riding day! Thanks for taking a look-see.
 
Thread starter
Stichill_imp said:
Wow, what an enchanting and breathtaking motorcycle travelogue! So many wonderful scenes; this one is jaw-dropping:

220b6cade1aa954e46592603a4250dcd.jpg


It's fantastic that both the bike and the distant shore / surf are in focus.
Thanks for the comments, Stichill. The CB in that photo actually blocks sight of the three young ladies that I crossed paths with several times. They are sitting on the bluff, right behind my motorcycle. If you enlarge the photo, you can barely make out the hair of one of them by the right fork. Now that I think about it, the shot might have been more interesting with them in it.
:cool:

It can rain like mad here in April, and we're in the middle of about a 10 day stretch of fairly clear skies, warm temps for OR at 70 plus degrees. Very inviting for riding with the new camera. I wasn't sure about it at first, but it does allow one to do different things--I only use about 10% of its options and the buttons are kind of small, but it's fun to play with.
 
Back
Top